Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 20mb speed hhelp

Options
  • 08-05-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Scowered the board here finding ways to boost my upc connection and to see what is the problem.

Got it installed this morning unfortunately have to run wireless. Box is downstairs beside telly, pcs are upstairs.

On testing the line first I was getting 4mb download speeds. I saw this TCP optimiser recommendation and went straight ahead on using it.

It boosted the speed to 10mb download.

Its nothing near the 20mb that I paid for however but it did help slightly.

I am currently using the Netgear router that was supplied with my package. I'm using a linkys wireless adapter to connect to the router downstairs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, wether to go and change the router or what have you.

I had no wireless problems with eircom getting full speeds over wireless. I'm going to hardline with laptop downstairs to check speed.

Also annoyed that utorrent wont accept incoming connections :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

had the same problem disconnect the wireless router then put a network cable to the modem that upc supplied test your speed all fixed. u are stil gonna need an alternative way for wireless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Messing around with port forwarding and all sorts.

Getting the hang of it now and getting drastic improvements.

Line speed is now 13mb consist, at this time on a friday I'm happy enough, going to test download speeds now.

For some reason my laptop will not connect however, keeps saying " acquiring network address" when trying to connect wirelessly.

Any ideas to help boost the line more? Some friends round the area saying they getting 20mb right now when they speedtest.net.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Download something from heanet and see what the average speed of it is. Torrents and speedtests can be un-reliable for testing your download speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get a set of these and use a wireless router upstairs nearer the pc's

You don't say Your on a laptop, but I presume You are. 13mbit could easily be the max of Your wifi card, I've seen poor ones max at 4 and pc manufacturers are renowned for cutting a corner here as nobody looks at the specs of a wifi card when purchasing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Have you any Tv points near the cumputer? when installing the modem he could of ran a new cable to the room the computer is in. To get the full advantages of having a wireless N router you will need a wireless N adaptor. Is there many other wireless network close by. If there is changing the channel on the router may help. Use netsumbler or xirrus(Link) to see what channel other wireless networks are using. What speed was you eircom connection?. Main suspect would be the wireless adaptor at this point. Can you connect direct to the modem to verify your speeds there?.

• Advertisement

I brought the laptop downstairs to check the speed?

The test was around 19mb download and 1.5 mb upload which I'm happy with.

My two pcs are located upstairs in different rooms using wireless adapters that are over 2 years old.

Speeds are fluctuating on this pc from 8mb to 15 mb. Using a linkys adapter.
    The other pc I have not tested with.

I have a phone jack in this room with my main pc that i split the old eircom line up to.

At this point the upgrade possabilities are wireless adapters and wireless router to replace the netgear one, but like i said hardlined downstairs, from router to laptop is giving max speeds.

the technician said he would drop out a netgear wireless adapter with "N" tomorrow so that might change the speed of things. I will use that and see how I get on, but help is greatly appreciated.

Anyone have any tips on the utorrent problem? I have all the relevant ports open, not getting over 5k/bs speed, and the "!" icon appears saying no incoming connections, clueless as to why.

Heatnet gave me a nice solid 1.4mb download which I was well chuffed with.

If anyone has a link to a heanet file that would better help show the spped of my line please link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Here's a link to a heanet file Link let it download for a bit to see the transfer rate. You wireless N router should be fine and doesn't need changing just the adaptors sound suspect.

started at 800 kb now hitting 980kb, there it goes to 1.1mb and rising.... not too shabby.

469465674.png

That was taken 3 mins after stopping download.

Did 4 speedtests were rather random, but never went higher then this one, to re-iterate, download speed hit 1.4mb/s when i stopped it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TheDoc wrote: »
    started at 800 kb now hitting 980kb, there it goes to 1.1mb and rising.... not too shabby.

469465674.png

That was taken 3 mins after stopping download.

Did 4 speedtests were rather random, but never went higher then this one, to re-iterate, download speed hit 1.4mb/s when i stopped it.

Even 1.4MBps isn't the full speed you should be getting, it works out at about 11/12Mbps.

Friend recommended rapidshare to me and have to say I'm really really impressed.

Downloaded some maps for a game I play, which 3 weeks ago was aggro downloading,

all 8 files, totaling in 800 mbs' done in 4 minutes. Impressed.

I'm going to hang on till tomorrow and get the new wireless adapter of the tech guy and see if it boost it further, then i might look at buying some new adapters.

But so far so good, well impressed with my speeds on games, rapidshare downloading is ace, unfortunately utorrent still not working.

Also noticed a massive jump in voip sound quality, outbound and inbound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Hi, do you think upc are blocking utorrent altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

sedohre wrote: »
    Hi, do you think upc are blocking utorrent altogether?

I think its well known to everyone that they do trottle utorrent downloads during peak hours but if you download at night or early morning I think youll be ok.

Though I doubt they block it altogether, its most likely a misconfigured torrent client or firewall settings.

seriously though, not getting more then 10 kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

uTorrent has its own test to check if ports are open.
    If it is a green tick then it should be OK but if it is an exclamation mark, double click it.

Here you can adjust your connection type and also shows current port being used.
    Click "Test if port is forwarded properly" and it will open a web page with results.
    If it was closed I think it links to portforward.com where you can select your router and let it tell you how to forward your ports if you do not know how to do so.

Advertisement