Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who pays the criminals fee's?

• 08-05-2009 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Just a question.
    An alledged criminal stands trial in a court of law...the man pleads innocent...fights a case lasting x number of days or weeks....the criminal is convicted and is handed down a sentence proportionate to the crime.

But my question is, in criminal proceedings...who pays the States legal fees? Does the State pursue any assests the crimanl may own in order to recover their costs ( aside from those the CAB can sieze)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Tax Payer, free legal aid etc.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭memo_to_all

so maybe its about time the state changes the way they let criminals rack up €'000s of euro in legal fee's and not bother trying to recover costs!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I would think it to be pretty goddamn important that everyone gets the option to free representation even if they are found guilty.
    Call me a pinko leftie liberal but it is a pretty strong basic right for, you know, justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the system is set up to keep everyone on a "level" playing field ....affording the best legal advice to those that cant afford it ... and those that can afford it have to make do with what we can afford ...typical !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

so maybe its about time the state changes the way they let criminals rack up €'000s of euro in legal fee's and not bother trying to recover costs!

I imaging C.A.B. try and recover costs wherever possible.

• Advertisement

Im not talking about gangsters....just normal gougers,scumbags,hoodlums.
    I just think that if they fight the case and rack up un-neccessary leagl costs and are found guilty..then the State should reserve the right to sieze and dispose of liquid assessts he may possess in order to recover costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

A suspect is only eligible for free fees if there is a genuine risk of imprisonment.
    The right to freedom is a basic human right. You cannot deprive people of their basic human rights because they can't afford proper legal advice.

Please everyone...this is not about Legal Aid..its about the cost to the State for their legal fees incurred during legal prosecutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I don't think so. The State assumes the role of prosecuting offences as a public service on behalf of society, sort of like the health service or social welfare. You fund it with your taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Please everyone...this is not about Legal Aid..its about the cost to the State for their legal fees incurred during legal prosecutions

The cost to the State is whatever the solicitors/barristers charge, along with whatever costs are incurred to bring the trial to court, is it not?

• Advertisement
Advertisement