Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'cooking' for 3-5yrs olds?

• 08-05-2009 9:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

can anyone help me out? I want to do an activity based around food with a group of 3-5yr olds, dont really have access to cooker or microwave though.

Can anyone suggest anything???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Make a cake or some bread with them; obviously it will be a mess afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You could buy/make some fairy cakes and make up various icings in different colours, and let them decorate them with some hundreds & thousands, M&M's, jellies, or whatever they'd eat :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Above idea is great. When I was younger I had this activity at one of my birthdays and it was loads of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

rice crispy buns - nice and messy

Make playdough

make hands and feet out of dough - extra marks for using raisins as toe/finger nails at halloween!

use pitta bread to build "ultimate sandwiches" with pre cut veg/salad/meat

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

My niece has been to birthday parties where each child is given one of those little cheese and tomato pizzas which they then add their own toppings to. Pineapple, sweetcorn, peppers etc. You would need an oven to cook them though.
    They then decorate little cup cakes with icing, jellies, edible glitter etc for dessert!

Rice Krispie buns are easy and quick to make. My b/f does a version that is delicious.
    Melt some miniature mars bars in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
    Add your Rice Krispies and mix so all the cereal is covered in the mix.
    Press the mix into a cake tin. Then melt some milk chocolate in the same method, pour over the top and place in the fridge to allow the milk chocolate to solidify. When ready cut the large square into smaller bitesize square for little mouths! :D

With the weather (supposed to be) getting warmer you could make icepops by freezing fruit juice or making smoothies and freezing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

For a harder option than rice crispie buns/cakes which takes more time & effort you can get icecream wafers, just the flat ones, spread peanut butter on them and make sandwiches with another wafer, they can be layered up. Then dip into melted chocolate and leave to set on greaseproof paper.

You can also get whole peanuts and stick them in a glass or cup, give them a spoon or some other blunt object and let then squish up the peanuts to make their own peanut butter. You can stick raisins in the wafer sandwiches too.

Alternate with white & dark & milk chocolate, dip one half and let set, then dip the other in a different colour.

Mars bars are mentioned above, when they are melted and set they go nicely hard, i.e. they hold things together better than chocolate on its own.

Damn I'm getting hungry!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for all the advice, think the diets going to go out of the window for the next week or so now!!!

I think I'm going to go along with the cupcake idea as I can get my little boy involved with the making of them as well - two birds one stone....

Cheers everyone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭tscul32

another great one for decorating is marshmallows dipped in choc and then in sprinkles

Advertisement