Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmentally Friendly Disposable Nappies?

Options
  • 08-05-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Our beautiful two month old daughter is producing a lot of disposable nappies, as they do. The black bin used to go out every two month or so but now its every two weeks, and 80% of it is nappies. I hate the thought of all that going to landfill, but don't think we have the time, energy or inclination to go down the terry cloth reusable nappy route. Just seen the (allegedly) biodegradable moltex nappies from ecobaby. But Dublin council won't accept them in the new brown bins, although other co. councils apparently will. Our compost bin would be full within a few days using them too. So has anyone used them and what are they like both for baby and environment? Can they be disposed of easily and in a green way? Or are there other alternatives I'm missing
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

junior joo wrote: »
    Our beautiful two month old daughter is producing a lot of disposable nappies, as they do. The black bin used to go out every two month or so but now its every two weeks, and 80% of it is nappies. I hate the thought of all that going to landfill, but don't think we have the time, energy or inclination to go down the terry cloth reusable nappy route. Just seen the (allegedly) biodegradable moltex nappies from ecobaby. But Dublin council won't accept them in the new brown bins, although other co. councils apparently will. Our compost bin would be full within a few days using them too. So has anyone used them and what are they like both for baby and environment? Can they be disposed of easily and in a green way? Or are there other alternatives I'm missing
    Thanks

As far as I know biodegradable nappies take less time to decompose than normal ones (similar to normal and biodegradable plastic).

You can compost them, but I think it is advised to have a separate compost bin for them and keep it away from the veg garden if you have it.
    There are some compost bins that work quicker and probably you can use compost accelerator liquid with it to speed it up further.

They have a description of moltex nappies on ecobaby.ie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sainsburys do a brand of eco nappies,They are really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Moltex nappies can be composted in an ordinary compost bin, but not if baby has pooed in them! In a wet nappy, you cut open the top and tip all the insides into the compost bin then discard the outer part into the normal household waste. Dirty nappies go into the normal household waste too.

Personally I used terry nappies with my first 2 children and meant I had very little going into the rubbish bin. But it was moltex with number 3, and I was put off when I was told all the above re disposal. So i used cheaper ordinary disposables and just throw them in the fire after - it feels good to see every morsel of the nappy turned to ash (not environmentally friendly I know, but I have an open fire burning anyway in the sitting room).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

kelle wrote: »
    (not environmentally friendly I know, but I have an open fire burning anyway in the sitting room).

nothing wrong with burning stuff as such (e.g. paper, cardboard) but afaik there's some plastic in nappies, so not good to burn.

Advertisement