Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom 7mb question...

Options
  • 08-05-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

so ive upgraded from eircom broadbands "up to 3mb" to "up to 7mb" and im only getting 3.76mb download speed on the speedtest site...i knew id never get the whole 7mb but i expeceted around 5mb:confused:...i live in crumlin in dublin so im hardly rural or nothing...my router/modem thingy is like 4 years old(netopia 3347NWG eircom gave me)...if i get a new good router will i see my speeds go up a little?or is their anyhting else i can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Post your line stats dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

speed = 5120/384 (kbps)

was about 3600ish/384 before the update

line attenuation = 43/23 dB

(any other stats needed just say and ill post)

should i be doing something to get faster speed?like configue my settings and stuff?cos i havent changed a thing just updated my connection by the eircom website and i noticed the speed on the eircom page was higher a few days later...should i get a new router?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can you post your snr as well. There is nothing you can really do except for making sure everything connected to a phone jack has a filter on it.

is snr not the line attenuation?and what is this filter?we have this double thing that the broadband line plugs into and the phone and this thing is pugged into the socket....would i not get better speeds with a new router?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

marko91 wrote: »
    is snr not the line attenuation?and what is this filter?we have this double thing that the broadband line plugs into and the phone and this thing is pugged into the socket....would i not get better speeds with a new router?

Nope snr and attenuation are two completely different things. That thing is a filter. If you have any other things plugged into a phone jack it'll need one of those things as well.

There are some routers which I've heard can help your snr. No idea which ones they are or how good they are though.

• Advertisement

ah kk cheers im just a little pissed that im only getting half the speed i could be getting like:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If your router is connected to it's own phone socket and not sharing a phone with it...remove the filter..
    Had this problem..as soon as I removed the filter..bingo..speeds up..this is a know eircom problem.

Nope snr and attenuation are two completely different things. That thing is a filter. If you have any other things plugged into a phone jack it'll need one of those things as well.

There are some routers which I've heard can help your snr. No idea which ones they are or how good they are though.

DownstreamUpstreamMax Allowed Speed (kbps)5120384SN Margin (dB)12.0016.00Line Attenuation (dB)43.0023.00CRC Errors01

is that the info u need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

DownstreamUpstreamMax Allowed Speed (kbps)5120384SN Margin (dB)12.0016.00Line Attenuation (dB)43.0023.00CRC Errors01

is that the info u need?

A little untidy, but Yeah, I've tidied it for You. You're nearly getting all Your line is capable of unless You can improve things. Follow this post in the FAQ and report back

TheADSLandADSL2LineCapabilityEstima.jpg

ADSL checker link

sorry before i posted it was perfect:( ill post everything again then ill follow ur link man

Max Allowed Speed (kbps)

Downstream = 5120 Upstream - 384

SN Margin (dB)

Downstream 5.00 Upstream 18.00

Line Attenuation (dB)

Downstream 43.00 Upstream 23.00

CRC Errors

Downstream 5 Upstream 24

cheers for the help:D

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A little untidy, but Yeah, I've tidied it for You. You're nearly getting all Your line is capable of unless You can improve things. Follow this post in the FAQ and report back

TheADSLandADSL2LineCapabilityEstima.jpg

ADSL checker link

that link is just really for slow connections due to phones and stuff, i do get a constant connection of 3.70/3.97mb if i got a new router from pc world would i start getting even a little better speeds?or can i do nothing but ring eircom and complain?...u say im capable of around 65512kb id love that extra thousandish kb:rolleyes:

anyone?

that link is just really for slow connections due to phones and stuff, i do get a constant connection of 3.70/3.97mb if i got a new router from pc world would i start getting even a little better speeds?or can i do nothing but ring eircom and complain?...u say im capable of around 65512kb id love that extra thousandish kb:rolleyes:

Its not the router, its Your line. Changing router will make no difference. At the moment You're getting 5mbit (your routers syncing at 5mbit), speedtests are slower as You never get the full amount, its the overheads of the copper and the protocol used to deliver it (same reason 1mbit is never more than ~750kbps, 3mbit is ~2600kbps). You'll also get lower speeds in the evening as you get contention during busy times. No point ringing Eircom as there's nothing they can do. The only thing You can do is DO THIS to see if its Your internal wiring and see if Your router syncs at a higher speed

• Registered Users Posts: 11 japnuts

Hi Guys, :)

I hope you dont mind my adding to this thread, but I am having a similar situation with Eircom.

I had a 3mb "Business Starter" Line with them, and it was very good, speed was fine, with no problems. However the 30gb download limit was a bit too low. When Eircom removed the download limit for the 7.6mb package, I ordered an upgrade via their website. I waited a few days, and then noticed that my line speed had increased (a little)..

My line stats are as follows: (sorry for poor formatting)

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream / Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 / 384
    SN Margin (dB) 16.40 / 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 41.00 / 23.50
    CRC Errors 0 / 0

I'm at the end of the Eircom Local Loop, around 3.59km from the exchange.

I'm using a netopia router 2247-02 with the latest firmware. It's plugged directly into the master socket which has an inbuilt DSL filter (fitted by eircom).

Is there anything I can do to increase the speed ? I'm quite dissappointed that my anticipated doubling of the speed is actually only around a 25% increase. I'm also concerned that the anticipated doubling of my upload speed didn't happen either ? I run a VoIP system and need the upstream bandwidth..

I do appreciate that I am quite far from the exchange and that this may be that best that I can get at present. But any help or advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I like how the Eircom website uses the phrase "up to".
    I'm on the up to 3mb(3072) service download speed but the best I can get is this:

476464965.png

What will I actually get if I upload to 7mb I wonder.

I like how the Eircom website uses the phrase "up to".
    I'm on the up to 3mb(3072) service download speed but the best I can get is this:

476464965.png

What will I actually get if I upload to 7mb I wonder.

Yes, the upto 3mbit is never over 2800kbps, its the overheads of the copper and the protocol used to deliver the broadband. My upto 7.6mbit ends up a max of ~6500kbps during off peak hours (and I'm actually 200m from my exchange). So You could expect ~6000kbps for the 7mbit package

Advertisement