Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science in DIT?

Options
  • 08-05-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Should one pick computer science in DIT, with all the other options out there?

I currently have the points to go to either UCD, DIT or applications in DCU, content wise DT228 looks a lot better than the alternatives, and DIT would work out financially better for me.

I had been pretty set on going to into 228, But after reading some of the threads on here I'm not so sure anymore. Kevin street sounds like a hole.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Most importantly, don't pick DT211.

You do realise DIT Computing has a very high dropout rate if you take 4th year as final year into consideration?

I would pick DCU if I were you. Facilities/funding is dire in DIT, it's just not the Institution it's made out to be.

Also, yes, Kevin street is a bit of a tip :)

If I had the choice again, I would personally not pick DIT again.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NerfNerder

falipo wrote: »

I currently have the points to go to either UCD, DIT or applications in DCU, content wise DT228 looks a lot better than the alternatives, and DIT would work out financially better for me.

I had been pretty set on going to into 228, But after reading some of the threads on here I'm not so sure anymore. Kevin street sounds like a hole.

I currently study in Kevin street in the dt211 course. Honestly I don't really know a lot about the other courses in the other colleges, but I would recommend perhaps taking a trip into Kevin street and seeing the place for yourself. Honestly it's not a great building, it's quite old and depressing, but most of the people are nice. Maybe talk to some other students in the dt228 course? I think you might get a better feel for it that way than reading up on it and such.

Good luck whatever or wherever you decide to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

everyone who posts on boards.ie is a piece of ****, don't listen to any of them.

Go to Kevin ST yourself, the building is nice and homely and there's nothing wrong with the place, the atmosphere is great unless you're some kind of disgruntled jaded ogre who sits in a corner staring at all the people having "fun" and posting about how they're all assholes and DIT sucks.

DT228 is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NerfNerder

everyone who posts on boards.ie is a piece of ****, don't listen to any of them.
    Are you including yourself in that since your posting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

Thanks lads will check out Kevin street myself with an open mind and see what I think, It cant be that bad...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

Hi, the most important difference between doing computer science in DIT or a university is that ALL of the lecturers teaching in DIT have several years of experience working in the computer industry, and know what they are talking about in terms of the work scene.

You can't get a job as a lecturer in DIT without having worked in the industry that you are teaching in, whereas in universities many of the lecturers will have done a degree, done a PhD and started lecturing without ever having worked in industry.

So if your motivation for doing a degree is getting a job afterwards, go to DIT, if you are interested in going on to do postrgaduate research particularly a PhD, a university might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Computer Science course in Maynooth aswell if ya got the points for it..think it was about 310 last year or the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkey_Pirate

I don't know about everyone else but I'm having a great time in this course! I actually miss it a lot (on work placement at the mo) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

NiteOwl2 wrote: »
    Hi, the most important difference between doing computer science in DIT or a university is that ALL of the lecturers teaching in DIT have several years of experience working in the computer industry, and know what they are talking about in terms of the work scene.

You can't get a job as a lecturer in DIT without having worked in the industry that you are teaching in, whereas in universities many of the lecturers will have done a degree, done a PhD and started lecturing without ever having worked in industry.

So if your motivation for doing a degree is getting a job afterwards, go to DIT, if you are interested in going on to do postrgaduate research particularly a PhD, a university might be better.

You do realise that DIT IS a University right???

:cool:

suckmyloli wrote: »
    You do realise that DIT IS a University right???

:cool:

Only by association with the EUA.
    DIT is NOT a University, at least not in Ireland.

They need to brush up if they want University status:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Thanks lads will check out Kevin street myself with an open mind and see what I think, It cant be that bad...

It's pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Is a bit of a hole. But has character ;)

DIT - Good lecturers, work experience in 3rd year and a quality games lab.
    DCU - Bad lecturers, bad standard of coding in general. Also offers work experience
    UCD - Good lecturers, nice campus. Biggest downer imo was the lack of a work experience program. This can seriously hinder your chances of getting a job over the other two colleges unless your top of your class.

Ftr, just doing my finals in 228. Have a couple of friends in the other two colleges doing computer science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

stevire wrote: »
    Is a bit of a hole. But has character ;)

DIT - Good lecturers (Some are, some are not, same as every college), work experience in 3rd year (if your lucky you might be placed, not the colleges fault) and a quality games lab. (true).

It doesnt matter what college you go to in the end as long as you get a qualification and have a good time doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

Naikon wrote: »
    Only by association with the EUA.
    DIT is NOT a University, at least not in Ireland.

They need to brush up if they want University status:pac:

But a university is an institution that awards degrees? I don't think the facilities are much worse than other colleges I mean it's still Ireland I wouldn't get my hopes up wherever I went in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Going to hijack this thread!:D Computer Science atm is my first preference on my CAO and well I'm just wondering how difficult it is? What's the maths like, etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

The maths incredibly easy. It's actually ridiculous. Its a bit like ordinary maths for the leaving cert with some junior cert maths thrown in. You just need a mathematical mind for programming really.

Ass wrote: »
    The maths incredibly easy. It's actually ridiculous. Its a bit like ordinary maths for the leaving cert with some junior cert maths thrown in. You just need a mathematical mind for programming really.

Grand so. Mathematical mind in what sense? Like I'm brillaint at arithmetic and algebra but when it comes to something like geometry it's a wreck the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Well I mean just in general when it comes to program design and coding, you need a logical mathematical mind. An understanding of different areas of mathematics and the ability to think logically about things will aid you here.

The kind of maths you can expect are number systems, matrices, vectors, co-ordinate geometry and cryptography. Some of it is very very basic, and some of it is quite complex, but even for people who aren't very mathematically minded, it should be a breeze. It's all about paying attention in class. Most of the people who fail maths fail it because the classes are incredibly boring and they the lecturer loses their attention.

QFT about the maths Ass.

I did Ordinary level maths for the LC, and if you just work at the maths
    and listen in class...you will be fine:)

Things like Graph theory, Matrices, Logic and the like are not really
    relevant to leaving cert maths.

Cheers. Aside from maths, how difficult is the course? I'd be an average student in school, aiming for about 350 points in the Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

You should be fine once you attened 90% of the lectures,and dont write off any subject as being unimportant.However true it may seem,cause it'll just come back on bit you on the ass:pac:

I did ordinary level maths and did fine in the Maths part of the course. Its mostly all matrices and graphing- stuff related to computer graphics processing AFAIK. Not that we were ever told this. :D

Cheers lads, away from the Maths how difficult is the rest of the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

While going to 90%+ of lectures and labs is very important, actually practicing and making sure you understand the stuff your being taught is very important. The biggest piece of advice i'd give is to experiment with everything your taught (in programming for example) and if there's something you can't grasp always ask the lecturer.
    Also get to know your classmates. if your ever unsure of something, theres bound to be someone who understands and can help explain it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

so what is it like in general? do you all like doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It's fantastic !!

so everybody gets on really well then?:p

...heck some lecturers even call you that

I've heard this from a lecturer too, haha.

And _sparkie_ if you're a nice person you're bound to find friends. Personally I've made the best friends I could have asked for in this course who I know I'll be seeing for a long time after we graduate!

As for the course itself, I think people are too quick to have a go about the lecturers which in fairness- yeah they definitely aint the best but, you'll have no problem passing the course if you just hunker down at a lab and work yourself. Nobody can feed you the knowledge, especially in a course with so much practical work.

Also since starting my work placement I realised how much we actually depend on the lecturers- in a real job nobody will be there to wait on you hand and foot so at least we're getting a good idea of working in the real world I suppose! :p

where are you doing your work placement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    so what is it like in general? do you all like doing it?

It can be great fun at times other times not fun at all (like when you have 4 assesments in two weeks its not). Just important to keep up with things in class.
    The maths is mostly not as hard as you would think. Group project i find are really good , as long as you dont have someone lazy in your group.

If you get a close class it helps , we all went to galway this year which was really cool.
    There is also stuff like games fleadh www.gamesfleadh.ie in tipp every year which a great trip. If you do get in , try your hand at stuff like academic competitions (if your in first year do robocode !).
    Kevin street is not best campuses in the world , but its small so you always see your lecturters around and there are always computers free.

Advertisement