Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elections, Leixlip.

Options
  • 08-05-2009 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Wonder do FF in Leixlip have any chance in the town council elections on the 5th of June?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I hope not. You'll notice all their posters have FF in tiny fonts, barely legible almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Does it matter? Leixlip hasn't changed in the 13 years i have been living there so what's going to change now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Does it matter? Leixlip hasn't changed in the 13 years i have been living there so what's going to change now?

No, there have been no changes at all in the town over the past 13 years.

New estates (Glen Easton, Rinawade, etc.)
    Pubs (The Courtyard, multiple rebirths of the RyeVale & nightclub)
    New train station & car park
    Sport - Amenities centre expansion (ongoing), ongoing development of Confey and St Marys GAA clubs
    Rye river cleanup
    Celbridge/Leixlip interchange
    Upgrade of road leading from Louisa Bridge to Intel.
    Retail - new LIDL store

etc. etc.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

Well look at their record at a local base and not on a national basis and you will see that both town councillors and particulary their KCC elected representitives have preformed very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

madds wrote: »
    New estates (Glen Easton, Rinawade, etc.)
    Pubs (The Courtyard, multiple rebirths of the RyeVale & nightclub)
    New train station & car park
    Sport - Amenities centre expansion (ongoing), ongoing development of Confey and St Marys GAA clubs
    Rye river cleanup
    Celbridge/Leixlip interchange
    Upgrade of road leading from Louisa Bridge to Intel.
    Retail - new LIDL store

etc. etc.

:rolleyes:

None of that is due to any elected officials. Intel and HP moved to the area due to cheap land. Guinness is moving to Leixlip for the same reason. Those other changes are also all due to the influx of large businesses, it has nothing to do with elected officials.

That doesn't stop them for taking credit for it. It seems when something good happens while they are in office they like to hype it as something they had a hand in, yet, when a crisis appears they claim they had nothing to do with it.

Opportunism at its finest.

• Advertisement

Read the posts again before you jump in with your size 12's. One of the earlier posters said there have been no changes in Leixlip in the last 10 years. I listed some changes that have taken place. Where did I say the Cllrs were responsible for these changes?

Read the posts again before you jump in with your size 12's. One of the earlier posters said there have been no changes in Leixlip in the last 10 years. I listed some changes that have taken place. Where did I say the Cllrs were responsible for these changes?

Well this thread is about Cllrs/elections now isn't it? That is what i was referring to otherwise it wouldn't be relevant. I stated that what's the point of voting as it's not going to make a difference as there hasn't been a change in the last 10 years.
    No harm though you just misread it. :rolleyes:

as there hasn't been a change in the last 10 years. No harm though you just misread it. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, I'll give you and your little smiley the benefit of the doubt so. No changes in 10 years you say? That statement says more about you than it does about the supposed lack of changes tbh. There have been umpteen changes in the town (and surrounding towns) over the last decade, some visible, others not so. To think otherwise would suggest a lack of basic cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's ok lads - I found the toys - they're just there beside your prams :p

To answer the OP I think the level of anger at an international level is going to seriously hurt FF in every council. Which is a good thing imo.

lack of basic cop on.

Ya if you say so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Ya if you say so.

Everytime you post about Leixlip, its to put the place down. Its irritating as fcuk.

Move, please move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

bricky10 wrote: »
    Wonder do FF in Leixlip have any chance in the town council elections on the 5th of June?
    More to the point, has anyone in Leixlip got a chance with FF's latest candidate.

photo-large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 room18

Yeah was driving through Leixlip the other day. I'd say a few years back that FF candidate would have got plenty of votes (FF at prime and she being attractive) but FF are not going well and people who will bother voting will vote FG or Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Scober11 wrote: »
    Well look at their record at a local base and not on a national basis and you will see that both town councillors and particulary their KCC elected representitives have preformed very well.

I'd agree with that to a certain extent.

The ones who seem to be most vocal at local level (to me anyway) are Bernard Caldwell (FF), Theresa Byrne (FG) and Sean and Colm Purcell (LAB).

I've noticed a distinct lack of propaganda for Sean Purcell in the run up to this election and am wondering if he is running at all.
    I've always given him my #1 vote because I've always seen him as someone who cares about Leixlip.
    From talking to him, he does care a lot about the town and has always done a lot of good for it.

I'm not too fond of his brother and I'd be loathe to give him my #1 vote becuase of my personal feelings.

Theresa Byrne it is then.
    Again, not too fond of her (on a personal level as I've known her most of my life), but I know she works very hard for this town and has done so in spite of having cancer (in remission).

@ Blue_Wolf, Again I agree to a certain extent.
    There are elements in this town who would have it remain in the 1900's if they could.
    They don't want to see progress at any level.
    It's a miracle that Intel and HP even had permission to build here because it seem to me that any private individual trying to build something ends up being rejected time and again.

One of the things that really gets to me is the rejection of the proposed apartments and car park at the back of (now gone) xtra vision on the Captain's hill.

This was rejected because the people of Riverdale didn't want their view spoiled.
    There are 6 houses in Riverdale facing the woodland there and the structure wouldn't have been higher than the trees.
    That type of ridiculousness really makes me loathe the people of my town.

There would have been ample parking for the people of Leixlip, but because of what could only have been 6 objections, it was put down.

There are more. Give me time and I'll think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I really, really should not have to remind people that schoolyard remarks regarding sex do not belong in this thread.

Neither do bad taste "jokes".

I won't be holding off on issuing bans if I see crud like that again.

I normally go the Independent route when voting locally. Catherine Murphy is very hard working and lives locally. Also Barnhall's Anto Larkin has thrown his hat into the ring as an Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

I'll be voting Kevin O'Connor and Denis McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

I won't be voting for the latest FF candidate. I had thought that a new young face on the town council would be good but my views have since changed. I'm not long in the area and was not on the voting register. She called to our house on her door-to-door rounds and we informed her of this and she said that she could sort that out for us. She took our names and address and said that we just needed to wait for a form to be sent out, sign it and send it back. Simple or what? The form never arrived and i had to drive to Naas on Monday to make sure my form was in in time. Not impressed. That is 2 votes lost Ms. Moriarty!

What are peoples opinions of Shane Fitzgerald, the Green candidate? I know he has 2 flower shops in the town but has he done anything for the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Terry wrote: »
    One of the things that really gets to me is the rejection of the proposed apartments and car park at the back of (now gone) xtra vision on the Captain's hill.

This was rejected because the people of Riverdale didn't want their view spoiled.

[snip]

There would have been ample parking for the people of Leixlip, but because of what could only have been 6 objections, it was put down.
    I'm not claiming to know the ins and outs, but I take it there was something more to it than that. IIRC, there is no legal right to a view so I can't see how an application would be ruled out on those grounds.

Also, if people need parking to get around within their own town it suggests a failure of planning that's a bit more fundamental than this single development either going ahead or stopping.

portumna wrote: »
    I won't be voting for the latest FF candidate. I had thought that a new young face on the town council would be good but my views have since changed. I'm not long in the area and was not on the voting register. She called to our house on her door-to-door rounds and we informed her of this and she said that she could sort that out for us. She took our names and address and said that we just needed to wait for a form to be sent out, sign it and send it back. Simple or what? The form never arrived and i had to drive to Naas on Monday to make sure my form was in in time. Not impressed. That is 2 votes lost Ms. Moriarty!

What are peoples opinions of Shane Fitzgerald, the Green candidate? I know he has 2 flower shops in the town but has he done anything for the area?

Would a better reason to not vote FF be the current economic situation which they're mostly responsible through years of neglect for no? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Well you can't blame all that on a young woman running in her first elections now can you? I vote for the candidate that will represent the locality best not for a particular party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cill Dara

I am still a little confused as to who to vote for, but I am leaning towards FF again. I dont think I could manage a vote for FG or LB... Shane Fitz will get a tick down the line tho and so will Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cill Dara

I had the same problem as to not being on the register, but I received my forms in the post with a personalised note, which I thought was a nice touch...

Maybe there was a mix up in sending out your form? Not an excuse but these things do happen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 room18

If I still lived in Leixlip (moved a while back) I would be voting for Denis McCarthy and Kevin O'Connor. I know Denis has done a lot for Ryevale, so if he could bring that to the town itself it would be great. I was reading O'Connor's manifesto and it looks alright compared to some others running. I wouldnt be voting for Fitz.

Well you can't blame all that on a young woman running in her first elections now can you? I vote for the candidate that will represent the locality best not for a particular party.

Yes, yes you can :confused: She's a member of FF isn't she? Her father is too. He's also a publican who has allegedly flouted planning laws on numerous occasions. Is this starting to sound familiar or do I need to trawl the internet for the hundreds of identical FF politicians who have similar misunderstadings with the law? Don't be so bloody naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If someone is in it solely to represent the locality best, they would be running as an Independent. Aligning to a party suggests acceptance/support of that parties national politics and a desire to be part of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Yes, yes you can :confused: She's a member of FF isn't she? Her father is too. He's also a publican who has allegedly flouted planning laws on numerous occasions. Is this starting to sound familiar or do I need to trawl the internet for the hundreds of identical FF politicians who have similar misunderstadings with the law? Don't be so bloody naive.

One who will NOT be getting my vote is Moriarty. To me this is just a cynical FF bandwagonner who has little or no regard for the area aside from the promotion of her business. I don't think she's even in the town a wet day tbh and there are far more worthy candidates in the area who are more deserving of a vote than her.

For me, I'll be voting Shane Fitzgerald No. 1 and probably Catherine Murphy No. 2. After that I'm not really sure.

Everytime you post about Leixlip, its to put the place down. Its irritating as fcuk.

Move, please move.

You must live in a fantasy world if you think Leixlip is so high and mighty. Do you work on the town council?

What are the proposed changes that the CLLR's propose to do anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

To me this is just a cynical FF bandwagonner who has little or no regard for the area aside from the promotion of her business. I don't think she's even in the town a wet day tbh and there are far more worthy candidates in the area who are more deserving of a vote than her.

Remove the candidate name, and that describes Brid Feely perfectly. Arrives in the town from Wexford, opens a business, runs for council for FF.

Comes last in the poll (in 2004), even after an independent who was only known in one of the two towns in the old Leixlip Area ward. She's running again, though, so theres determination there, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ana ng

One who will NOT be getting my vote is Moriarty. To me this is just a cynical FF bandwagonner who has little or no regard for the area aside from the promotion of her business.

One look at her website would put you off totally anyway -
    the communities concerns, developing the public amenities and it surrounding area, i.e. children’s play area’s, maintaining and grooming tourist attractions
    I don't normally play spelling nazi, but if you are running for public office the one thing you'd expect is some attention to detail with publicity statements.
    highlight overall public concerns that involve Garda suppot

and
    to invoke both new ideas’s and schemes for the benefit of the town and it residents.

Maybe this explains it though

In 2004, I graduated from Portobello College with a BA in business studies
    This and the fact that she has only worked in the family business wouldn't give you a whole lot of confidence in her ability to do anything in the real world.

Advertisement