Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elections, Leixlip.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭av8rirl

One who will NOT be getting my vote is Moriarty. To me this is just a cynical FF bandwagonner who has little or no regard for the area aside from the promotion of her business. I don't think she's even in the town a wet day tbh and there are far more worthy candidates in the area who are more deserving of a vote than her.

For me, I'll be voting Shane Fitzgerald No. 1 and probably Catherine Murphy No. 2. After that I'm not really sure.

A little history lesson regarding people just moving into town... and I'm not knocking anyone... We are all free to vote for whoever we choose... the important thing is that we DO vote!

Before the last local election (2004), Shane Fitzgerald had never lived in Leixlip. He is from Mayo and married a Leixlip girl... but he was actually living in Lucan! Shane is hard working and seems to be involved in everything in the town. But there are also rumours of a hot head!

Paul Kelly (FF) doesn't live in Leixlip but has a business in Leixlip. I rate him as very knowledgable and hard working.

Tom Neville (FG) wasn't living in Leixlip. He was born, raised and schooled in Leixlip but had moved well before the 2004 local election. His brother Joe (who does live in Leixlip) was co-opted to LTC last month as Tom has moved abroad with work.

Colm Purcell (Lab) doesn't live in Leixlip. Again he is old Leixlip but doesn't actually live there. I wouldn't vote for him if you paid me to!

So that was 4 out of 9 town councillors who weren't living in Leixlip when they got elected to LTC in 2004. I'd say it shouldn't be held against Ms Moriarty that she isn't long in the town! She won't be getting my No1 vote but like the rest of them, she will get a ticked box somewhere down along the list.

Right now its difficult to pick who will get elected to LTC on Fri. So lets all get out and exercise our right to vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If you tick the box that'll be a spoiled vote. Google proportional represantation.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    If you tick the box that'll be a spoiled vote. Google proportional represantation.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I am aware of the procedure!!! And I'll be numbering them 1 to 14. :D

Altho having been involved in the count previously, I can tell you that a ticked box doesn't spoil a vote... it only spoils it if you have more than one tick... if there is only ony tick and nothing else on the ballot paper it is deemed a valid vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bosco84

Joe Neville called to my door a week back and seemed very informed and passionate about the area. I suppose having grown up in the Leixlip and still living here that is only natural but at least its good to see that anyway. He also was able to answer any national questions I had and seemed pretty on the ball. I reckon its time this town had a fresh voice on the County Council, to go along with Catherine Murphy who will be there also.

Catherine Murphy should be there... but she has been a little quiet since the last general election. I know she had to wait to be co-opted back onto KCC but she doesn't seem to have the profile that she did before the last local election and before the by-election where she was elected to the Dail.

I know that Paul Kelly is worried about his seat. But then I suppose anyone that goes to the public for a vote has reason to be worried!

• Advertisement

Catherine Murphy has been quiet as she hasn't had any political position since the last general election. I have no doubt that she still has the profile and should top the poll. I can't forsee a former TD not getting into the County Council or indeed the Town Council in Leixlip.

Paul Kelly on the other hand, I don't know too much about. I understand that he has been a Councillor for many years in the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Murphy will get my vote. She's been a tireless worker for the community for years now.

Heard on the grapevine that Kelly is not impressed that his "Barnhall RFC" vote may be taken from him with Anto Larkin's decision to run as an Independent.

Laura Moriarty is also involved with Barnhall RFC so that vote will be split 3 ways. Both Laura Moriarty and Anto Larkin are only running for LTC and not KCC so Paul Kelly should have the Barnhall vote for KCC. Anto Larkin had previously campaigned for Paul Kelly and they are friends for a long time.

Catherine Murphy has been a county councillor for the last year or so since Gerry McDonagh stood down and she was co-opted back onto KCC. McDonagh was the one who was co-opted to KCC when Murphy was elected to the Dail.

Both Murphy and Kelly have been public representatives since 1988 when Leixlip Town Commissioners were first founded. Murphy is a particularly canny electioneer and it would seem to me that she has done a nice little trick in launching her campaign with the other independents Gerry McDonagh and Denis McCarthy. Not sure if either of these two will get elected but from her side, she should pick up transfers from both of these because of the association with them. That means transfers from both sides of the town. Its very unlikely that she'll need any transfers but a nice bit of electioneering all the same!!

As you may tell from this post, I think Catherine Murphy is very good at her job. But bear in mind that she is a full time public representative with a grown family and therefore doesn't have to juggle another job with a KCC or LTC role. I think Sean Purcell may be the only other one in a similar position... but obviously not as effective!

As a new person into the town, I feel that it is appropriate to vote for somebody who is was reared and still living in the locality. Also, the fact that Joe Neville was the only to call to my door and to speak to me on a variety of issues, I think I will give him my vote. I think a blend of youth and experience would be ideal for the Town Council and the County Council. From what I have read, I have no doubt that that Catherine Murphy will make the county council so I think I will give Joe my number 1 this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 swiftypuma

For Local Elections People Should Be Looking At What People Have Done And Are Doing For The Area Over What Party Is Supporting Them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Leixlip Town Council

Catherine Murphy (Ind), who topped the poll, followed by Sean Purcell (Lab) were both elected to Leixlip Town Council after the first count. Paul Kelly (FF) and Kevin O'Connor (FF) are both in danger of losing their seats.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/ELECTION-2009-RESULTS.5342137.jp

Not looking good for FF around here! I'd say Anto Larkin is after takin alot of votes from Kelly. There'll be rows in Barnhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Returned: (In order of election): Catherine Murphy (Ind)/ Sean Purcell (Lab)/ Colm Purcell (Lab)/ Joe Neville (FG)/ Bernard Caldwell (FF)/ Shane Fitzgerald (GP)/Anthony Paul Larkin (Ind)/ Teresa Byrne (FG)/ Pat Burke-Walsh (FG).

Only 1 FF and Paul Kelly got elected to KCC but can't make it onto LTC.

Delighted for Anto Larkin. He'll shake them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tbk

Delighted for Anto!

As soon as I heard he was running I knew he was going to be elected!

The man is what old and new leixlip is all about, and I have no doubt in my mind he will shake things up and will nothing but a credit to the town and the people who live here!

He has my full backing in any of his future decisions and wish him the best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cayote

portumna wrote: »
    Returned: (In order of election): Catherine Murphy (Ind)/ Sean Purcell (Lab)/ Colm Purcell (Lab)/ Joe Neville (FG)/ Bernard Caldwell (FF)/ Shane Fitzgerald (GP)/Anthony Paul Larkin (Ind)/ Teresa Byrne (FG)/ Pat Burke-Walsh (FG).

Only 1 FF and Paul Kelly got elected to KCC but can't make it onto LTC.

I live in same estate as Shane Fitzs and delighted he got elected as he is always working for the area. Gave him my #1.

Great to see Bernard Caldwell get in, gave him my #2 for all his work with the festival (chairman) and also for the Christmas lights (again chairman). Good job...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Young Moriarty was quite clueless when she knocked at our door. When asked about her policy of improving public transport, I asked what she hoped to achieve. She didn't say anything so I asked her would she hope to encourage competition (given that Noel Dempsey is nailing that coffin closed!). She just started rambling about how she wanted to benefit the area!
    Also given the fact that her family believe that a public space should become part of their private business (a business that she apparently manages) does not indicate a good starting point for her to cater for the area's best interests!
    Terry wrote: »
    One of the things that really gets to me is the rejection of the proposed apartments and car park at the back of (now gone) xtra vision on the Captain's hill.

This was rejected because the people of Riverdale didn't want their view spoiled.
    There are 6 houses in Riverdale facing the woodland there and the structure wouldn't have been higher than the trees.
    That type of ridiculousness really makes me loathe the people of my town.

There would have been ample parking for the people of Leixlip, but because of what could only have been 6 objections, it was put down.
    I think it was as much because of the proposed exit onto Captain's Hill.
    There was/is another proposed development along Captain's Hill where the creche is at the junction of Avondale. Feckin monstrosity tbh. The residents Assoc. (incl. Teresa Byrne) and Emmett Stagg were the only ones vocal about it.
    portumna wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions of Shane Fitzgerald, the Green candidate? I know he has 2 flower shops in the town but has he done anything for the area?
    I bought a small Christmas tree in the shop on green lane. It was in a large pot with clay etc. I asked him if it was just fixed in or actually growing and was told that it was growing and that I could plant it after Christmas. Grand so - I paid up and he put it into my car.
    As it turned out, he was lying to me. He or his business will never get the steam off my wee again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

kbannon wrote: »
    I bought a small Christmas tree in the shop on green lane. It was in a large pot with clay etc. I asked him if it was just fixed in or actually growing and was told that it was growing and that I could plant it after Christmas. Grand so - I paid up and he put it into my car.
    As it turned out, he was lying to me. He or his business will never get the steam off my wee again!

Was that the shop with the big window?

Ha Ha. :rolleyes:
    In my defence, it actually did look real and there was no visible evidence that it wasn't! Anyhow my point was that he will not now receive a vote from me regardless of his party membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Congrats to Larkin, to get elected on your first outing is some achievement. One of the nicest fellas i ever met and i wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

I voted for Kevin O'Connor, but sadly he didnt get in. Anyone know how much votes Moriarty got?

I'd say if you put an FG badge on a dog in Leixlip they would vote for it! Disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

Grrrr, one of Moriartys posters is still up at the entrance to san carlo beside super valu and I'm highly irritated by it. If it's still up tomorrow who can I complain to? I thought they had to have all posters down within 24 or 48 hours or something? I'm sick of lookin at her.

They have 7 days IIRC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Moriarty's posters don't do her justice....She is a bit of a fine thing!!:D

bricky10 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much votes Moriarty got?

Late 200's I think, 295 or so.

Colm Purcell's posters are the only ones left hanging up round Easton Road way. Fair play to the rest of them taking theirs down.

gatecrash wrote: »
    Moriarty's posters don't do her justice....She is a bit of a fine thing!!:D
    i noted that alright when she called to the house. Not on my criteria for selecting a public representative however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

bricky10 wrote: »
    I voted for Kevin O'Connor, but sadly he didnt get in. Anyone know how much votes Moriarty got?

I'd say if you put an FG badge on a dog in Leixlip they would vote for it! Disgrace

Have you any intelligence to back that remark up? I'd be fascinated to hear just what is disgraceful about Teresa Byrne, Pat Burke Walsh and Joe Neville and any similarities they have to a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

kbannon wrote: »
    i noted that alright when she called to the house. Not on my criteria for selecting a public representative however.

Mine either, which is why she wasn't in my top 5.

One of the girls here in work apparently had a good go at her when she called, talking about representing the people her own age in Leixlip.

My colleague asked her was she ever worried about losing her job and not being able to pay the mortgage, a few other things like that.... How could she (Moriarty) say that she represents people her own age when she's never had those worries...

My colleague never told me what the reply was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

madds wrote: »
    Late 200's I think, 295 or so.
    So that works out at about one vote for every 10 Laura Moriarty posters.

Advertisement