Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will get elected

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

election time again yippy u no the time when you get to shake the hands of the best bull taking people who for the next 4 or 5 years you wont hear tell of most of us dads will take kids football or some other sports not our politicans they take theres on the gravy train with them what gives them the rite to walk in to mummy or daddys or uncle or aunt safe seat just look at it its unbelivable big posters with kids faces telling me hes going to change things for the better beceause my daddy says i can what is wrong with this tick country we hav charlies 2 sons along with brains 2 sons helping to run the country if my father was manager of dunnes and was sacked for fiddling would i get a juinor managers job dont think so these people robbed the country lots of others and there still there either themselfs or there family unbeliveable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

paddyboy23 wrote: »
    what gives them the rite to walk in to mummy or daddys or uncle or aunt safe seat .......

.........we hav charlies 2 sons along with brains 2 sons helping to run the country
    You may not be aware of it but we have a system known as a democracy whereby public representatives must be elected under a PR STV system.

They don't elect themselves. :rolleyes:
    paddyboy23 wrote:
    what is wrong with this tick country
    (I'm tempted to say something but perhaps I shouldn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

First I would like to wish you luck in the upcoming election.
    Thank you.
    I would be interested in your opinion of local politics with respect to the power councillors have over local amenities/services?

Not total control but enough to get the job done. Depends on what services you are talking about. Have a look at the Fingal website, we control the services listed.
    What powers do you have and what areas are in your remit as a councillor?
    I'm afraid I don't have time to write the answer to this question at the moment. I'm sure you understand. It could take me half the night and I can type 60 wpm.
    Do you really have a say in say public transport provided and what can you do to improve it?
    Not directly. Public transport is provided by the department of transport. We do control where roads go, we decided where the runway at Dublin airport went, M1, N2 etc. We don't control what uses them after that.
    Can you increase the number of Guards in the community you serve?
    Not directly but as I am the chairperson of the Fingal Joint Policing Committee, I can ask them nicely in person.
    How does the budget for each council work and who decides were the money is spent? Is it a democratic system or is there different levels of councillor who make more decisions
    Each department has a budget, each councillor has their projects, they are finalised in a democratic fashion. The Mayor has two votes, but only if deciding a tie.
    What part does the civil service play in any of the decisions regarding alocation of funds for different projects?
    They make recommendations based on their experience.
    Is there anywere I can view the complete budget(the books as such) for each council?
    Yes, the council produces an annual report and monthly financial statements. These are online. You can also make an FOI request.
    What is your opinion of Town Councils? Are they necessary.
    As they have virtually no power, I think they should be abolished. They do serve an historic function and with a bit of thought they could become more relevant.
    Should the council members be increased to allow a better cross section of candidates access to decision making. I.E more independent non party voices on each council?

We live in a multi party democracy, it doesn't get any more independent that we have it. Here's a quick run down on councils across the country.

Longford 1,250:1
    Leitrim 1,100:1
    Waterford 975:1
    Fingal 10,000:1

Those numbers represent the number of people per councillor.

Do I think there should be more councillors, no frankly. Should a national average be created, yes. Of course, people outside cities won't like that very much as they would lose hundreds of councillors to places like Fingal. I think the national average should be 5000:1. (4.1 million people, 850 councillors at the moment.)

LeoB wrote: »
    Joe Corr is a good local councillor. Unlike a lot of others I have found him to be an honest guy. As for the Kenure L.A.P Joe made his position quite clear from the start and stuck to it, unlike other from what I hear. So why was it not a good idea to pursue the plan? There was 186 submissions made to F.C.C on the L.A.P. Some people are not happy with aspects of it but if the amendments to the plan and carried through, school and open space provided first, it might not be to bad. Some of the people were genuine in their objections others in my opinion hopped on the bandwagon.
    What would you have done?
    What changes would have made?

Steady now. I wasn't criticising Joe. I supported him on the day.
    If the LAP were in my area, I would not have spoken up so much about it given the proximity to the election. That was the point I was making.
    Ken Farrell will get elected without doing much canvassing. Very Popular guy.
    So I have heard. I don't know the man from adam.
    no matter who is power, if we dont have have a Rush person elected NOTHING will be done for Rush as is generally the case.

Ah, the old parish pump. Its true of course.
    decent national profile John Gormley is always on T.V and while I am not very fond of him he comes across fairly well.

To an ever shrinking segment of society. I have no respect for the man.
    The opposition would have some chance of causing a big upset if they stopped mud flinging which people are sick of. In fairness to your own leader he does'nt seem to be as bad as others but still negative.

I'm not getting into this one on this site. Try politics.ie. (sorry mods)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Alan - No need to apologise & thank you for your input this forum.

paddyboy32 - Use some punctuation please. Otherwise nobody will understand what you are trying to say. Read the charter too.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Thank you.

Not total control but enough to get the job done. Depends on what services you are talking about. Have a look at the Fingal website, we control the services listed.

I'm afraid I don't have time to write the answer to this question at the moment. I'm sure you understand. It could take me half the night and I can type 60 wpm.

Not directly. Public transport is provided by the department of transport. We do control where roads go, we decided where the runway at Dublin airport went, M1, N2 etc. We don't control what uses them after that.

Not directly but as I am the chairperson of the Fingal Joint Policing Committee, I can ask them nicely in person.

Each department has a budget, each councillor has their projects, they are finalised in a democratic fashion. The Mayor has two votes, but only if deciding a tie.

They make recommendations based on their experience.

Yes, the council produces an annual report and monthly financial statements. These are online. You can also make an FOI request.

As they have virtually no power, I think they should be abolished. They do serve an historic function and with a bit of thought they could become more relevant.

We live in a multi party democracy, it doesn't get any more independent that we have it. Here's a quick run down on councils across the country.

Longford 1,250:1
    Leitrim 1,100:1
    Waterford 975:1
    Fingal 10,000:1

Those numbers represent the number of people per councillor.

Do I think there should be more councillors, no frankly. Should a national average be created, yes. Of course, people outside cities won't like that very much as they would lose hundreds of councillors to places like Fingal. I think the national average should be 5000:1. (4.1 million people, 850 councillors at the moment.)

If the LAP were in my area, I would not have spoken up so much about it given the proximity to the election. That was the point I was making.

So I have heard. I don't know the man from adam.

You FG boys are not as bad as I thought :D Thanks again ourlad.

• Advertisement

You FG boys are not as bad as I thought :D Thanks again ourlad.

No problem.

To get back to the thread, who is getting elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thank you.

I didnt think councillors had any say in transport. Dublin Bus make their decisions and would not really listen to any Councillors. They look at the bottom line, PROFIT. When there have been proposals to service areas from a private operator they bully them out of business.

So what is the point in going into a chamber if you are not prepared to speak. Joe recieved petitions, queries, suggestions from people who elected him. I would be very annoyed if he had kept his mouth shut. I liked some parts of the L.A.P not it all.

Its very true of course. You see Alan this is the way people feel
    If you take a look at the Rush area you will see neglect in the basic infrastructure. This leads to a sense of apathy and then who gives a toss who gets elected. But the feeling now in Rush is enough is enough. The place in parts is like a warzone the paths and roads are so bad. Builders for years have got away with all sorts of sly moves. With Joe Corr and the amendments he proposed - made to L.A.P. things may be looking up with it frontloaded with School and open space. This is why Rush people need to forget what is happening on national stage and ensure we have a voice at the Table. With respect to all members of council I dont think anyone from outside the village of Rush gives a toss about us. By the way I dont think a councillor from Rush should have a say in decisions in Dublin 15 and vice versa.
    I dont think it would be right if you stayed quiet if a plan for your area was on table for discussion. This to me is a dis service to your electorate.

And thats fine. But if Hitler done something to improve the place he would get votes;)

Alan I am not into mud flinging I am just fed up listening to Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore and all the negative crap they come out with. Most people are at this stage which leads me to ask, Would you be in favour of all party politics?
    I dont only blame the government for the mess we are in I blame the bankers. Do you think some or any of them should be jailed for wreckless trading?

Sorry for the messy reply

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

2 weeks untill election day and I still havn't had a sinner call to the door (Clonuske Drive Balbriggan). I've had reams of paper through the letterbox (4 copies of the same leaflet from the Green party candidate????) but they're pretty much all stating the same vague "promises". I've been mystified by the amount of spelling/grammatical errors on leaflets, do people not proofread these things???

Just got Seán Brown's through the door, at least it has some specific goals listed......does anybody have any info on him that wouldn't be on a leaflet? I'm leaning towards him at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Helmet wrote: »
    2 weeks untill election day and I still havn't had a sinner call to the door (Clonuske Drive Balbriggan). I've had reams of paper through the letterbox (4 copies of the same leaflet from the Green party candidate????) but they're pretty much all stating the same vague "promises". I've been mystified by the amount of spelling/grammatical errors on leaflets, do people not proofread these things???

Just got Seán Brown's through the door, at least it has some specific goals listed......does anybody have any info on him that wouldn't be on a leaflet? I'm leaning towards him at the mo.

Don't know if this would help??

http://ie.ratemyteachers.com/schools/ireland/dublin/balbriggan_community_college/sean__browne

You can view him and some other candidates in action here

http://www.balbriggan.public-i.tv/site/webcasts.php

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Thanks Buck!!!

• Advertisement

Helmet wrote: »

Sean is a nice man but something happened to him over the last few years which changed the direction of his politics. He resigned (before he was expelled) from FG following an outburst on Q&A.

Actually, he's one of the reasons why I'm in politics.

For the County, Larry Dunne/Tom O'Leary are both running the that ward. Larry is a TC and Tom was a councillor up until 2004. The other candidates in your area are listed on www.micandidate.ie

By the way, my very good friend Lorna Kelso is running in the Balbriggan Town Council election and I would urge anyone up there to give her a vote.

Why would he be expelled for speaking out?:confused::confused: Do we not need people to speak out for us?

[/b]

Alan I am not into mud flinging I am just fed up listening to Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore and all the negative crap they come out with. Most people are at this stage which leads me to ask, Would you be in favour of all party politics?
    I dont only blame the government for the mess we are in I blame the bankers. Do you think some or any of them should be jailed for wreckless trading?

Sorry for the messy reply

A very quick response to a very long discussion point, but then I'm done.

Firstly, I respect that you have the conviction to speak openly about your politics which is a very good thing as far as I am concerned.

Negative? Its the duty of every person, elected or otherwise to voice their opinion on matters relating to the state. If I were in government and announced various measures which upset the country, then I would expect to be criticised. The opposition have no right whatsoever to create policy in this country, the government are in control. The only thing they can do, the thing that they are elected to do is to voice their opinion.

A "national" or "all party" government is a fallacy concocted by FF and spun by the media. We live in a multi party democracy, its a simple as that.

I believe that the government could have augmented policy to "save for a rainy day" so I blame the government and bankers, equally. If bankers or politicians did wrong then they should be subjected to the full riggers of the law.

A very quick response to a very long discussion point, but then I'm done.

Firstly, I respect that you have the conviction to speak openly about your politics which is a very good thing as far as I am concerned.

Negative? Its the duty of every person, elected or otherwise to voice their opinion on matters relating to the state. If I were in government and announced various measures which upset the country, then I would expect to be criticised. The opposition have no right whatsoever to create policy in this country, the government are in control. The only thing they can do, the thing that they are elected to do is to voice their opinion.

A "national" or "all party" government is a fallacy concocted by FF and spun by the media. We live in a multi party democracy, its a simple as that.

I believe that the government could have augmented policy to "save for a rainy day" so I blame the government and bankers, equally. If bankers or politicians did wrong then they should be subjected to the full riggers of the law.

Critism is fine but the bull we listen to from all sides of the house is simply turning people off, I think to much time is spent point scoring by some members of Dail and this has a negative effect on people who watch or listen to Dail debates. maybe its not maybe its just me trying to justify some silly decisions? The media are also at fault, apart from this week when I heard one of them actually admit to being wrong they are pedalling a lot of rubbish and appear to be going down the road of the tabloid gutter press across the water which is a pity.

I agree money should have been put by for a rainy day but it all goes back to greed, the greed of Bankers who gave out stupid loans to people who had little chance of paying them back. 15 years ago when I and a lot of others went for a mortgage we were only short of supplying D.N.A samples which looking back was a good thing, we cut our cloth accordingly. Until we lock someone up as we did with the late Liam Lawlor and Ray Burke the sense of apathy will only get deeper.

The reason I brought up this "all party" thing is there are very capabale people in all parties. Gay Mitchell, Alwyn Enright, Damien Englis, John McGuinness, Darragh O'Brien people who I would have a lot of faith in to get us back on our feet. As I stated here before I think there is a good new breed of person getting into politics and it would be interesting to see them work togeather!

So to everyone on boards.ie What is the local issue which would get you to vote for a candidate?
    Policing is probably my Number 1

Alan dont go away, I might actually give Tom O'Leary a vote!! Good discussion going on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Cllr Anne Devitt
    Conor Kelly
    Cllr Tom Kelleher
    Joe O'Neill
    Cllr Clare Daly

hopefully butler will lose his seat - and would prefer mcguire's seat to go to kelly

Its silly to bring mistake of Government to bear on local issues.

if they can still stand by their party in government, i dont want them elected even at the base level.

Cllr Anne Devitt
    Conor Kelly
    Cllr Tom Kelleher
    Joe O'Neill
    Cllr Clare Daly

hopefully butler will lose his seat - and would prefer mcguire's seat to go to kelly

Idealistically, this could happen but it is hugely, hugely unlikely.

Kelleher in trouble because of Ward, McGuire safe, Daly Safe, O'Neill not at the races. I don't have any feedback on Kelly but I don't think SF will have a seat with Daly in the picture.

I think it could end up the same with perhaps Labour swapping a personality. FG do have a chance to take two but it really depends on how FF do.
    if they can still stand by their party in government, i dont want them elected even at the base level.

No arguments from me on that one although I have to say, Darragh is a nice person.

well thats what i hope - it would be balanced, hopefully good

whats this about kelleher and the ward? :confused: really need to know this if i am going to vote him in

if you reckon kelleher migh loose and i hope and would bet that butler loses his seat i reckon one of those will go to joe o'neill

darragh could be a fantastic man, but if he sticks with fianna fáil with their actions and their principles - will never ever get my vote, if he went independent i would check him up a and see his worth as a councillor and see if its good for him to be re elected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

No arguments from me on that one although I have to say, Darragh is a nice person.
    Didnt Darragh Butler only get in because Kennedy got the TD gig, i.e he sailed in and wasnt voted by the electorate?

He might be a nice guy but try asking him to do stuff for your local area and cue.....

tumbleweed.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

I see Dermot Murray's posters have him posing in his fire officer's uniform. :rolleyes:

Does he think this gives him some sort of elevated status? If he was a ballet dancer by profession, would he would pose in a leotard!

He should have the normal suit/shirt and tie like all the other male candidates.

There is some talk about this at http://www.politics.ie/elections/68301-really-bizzare-election-poster.html ans as to whether it is allowed or not.

They also bring up the issue of the size of the logo his poster, here is a picture so you can see for yourself http://www.flickr.com/photos/96cambridge/3545607307/ I for one didn't realise he was FF until his leaflet came through the door, bit of a strange one like he is nearly ashamed of it.

You can get official list of all the candidates here http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/LocalDemocracy/LocalEuropeanElections2009/

Also www.micandidate.eu is a good one some of them have filled in certain details on thier profiles. Being able to see a list of all the candidates like this makes things easier.

In fact in my opinion something official booklet like this should go around to every house with each candidate given one page to say what they want. Rather than all the crap we get in the doors.

Also does anyone know if there are any local debates between various candidates organised, this kind of thing would make it much easier to vote as most of the propaganda that comes through the door is the same.

• Advertisement

well thats what i hope - it would be balanced, hopefully good

whats this about kelleher and the ward? :confused: really need to know this if i am going to vote him in

if you reckon kelleher migh loose and i hope and would bet that butler loses his seat i reckon one of those will go to joe o'neill

darragh could be a fantastic man, but if he sticks with fianna fáil with their actions and their principles - will never ever get my vote, if he went independent i would check him up a and see his worth as a councillor and see if its good for him to be re elected

The "Ward" i was referring to was Pat Ward, Labour candidate. He might hit Kellehers vote as the labour party won't get three, even on a very good day. Plus, Butler and Kelleher live in the same estate.

I'd be watching Duffy myself. I detest the man but even with the swing against the greens he came close in 2004 and might be even closer this time. I don't know O'Neill but I can't imagine him coming close. SF are way off, even with a new face. Can't see Mr. FF Porche Cayenne (Hennesy) coming close either. (His chosen election vehcile was parked in Malahide today... talk about unsubtle. 300,000 unemployed and he's using a €150k car as an election advertiser.)
    Sizzler wrote: »
    Didnt Darragh Butler only get in because Kennedy got the TD gog, i.e he sailed in and wasnt voted by the electorate?

Yes. Daragh Butler (FF Swords), Eoghan O'Brien (FF Malahide) and Eithne Loftus (FG Castleknock) are coopted Councillors replacing Councillors who were eleceted to the Dail. The dual mandate forbids TD's from also being councillors.

They were coopted in June 2007 when I was elected Mayor.

Lawless or Dowling might surprise a few, particularly the latter with his service to Donabate over the years. FG might well upset the apple cart and take two in Swords. Devitt will of course be one of those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Can't see Mr. FF Porche Cayenne (Hennesy) coming close either. (His chosen election vehcile was parked in Malahide today... talk about unsubtle. 300,000 unemployed and he's using a €150k car as an election advertiser.)
    That says it all really. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Didnt Darragh Butler only get in because Kennedy got the TD gog, i.e he sailed in and wasnt voted by the electorate?

He might be a nice guy but try asking him to do stuff for your local area and cue.....

It does kind of irk me him going around asking us to "re-elect" him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lawless or Dowling might surprise a few, particularly the latter with his service to Donabate over the years
    I spend a lot of time in the Donabate area and know a lot of people there but none of them seem to know anything about Dowling. I was speaking to another candidate recently and even he knew nothing about Dowling. I can't see him in the running at all (but I'm prepared to eat my words). :)

Why do you detest Duffy? I dont know him from Adam.

On Sean Browne he spoke out or, didnt tow the party line. Surely that cant be bad?

Were you not a member of Green Party at one time or looking to join? Looking to run in Balbriggan T.C election? About 5 or 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

gillo_100 wrote: »
    You can get official list of all the candidates here http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/LocalDemocracy/LocalEuropeanElections2009/

Also www.micandidate.eu is a good one some of them have filled in certain details on thier profiles. Being able to see a list of all the candidates like this makes things easier.

In fact in my opinion something official booklet like this should go around to every house with each candidate given one page to say what they want. Rather than all the crap we get in the doors.

Also does anyone know if there are any local debates between various candidates organised, this kind of thing would make it much easier to vote as most of the propaganda that comes through the door is the same.

I have no idea who to vote for (although I know who not to vote for). Where should I look to help make my decision? I've checked out micandidate.ie and only some of the candidates have their profiles filled out? I've used my vote since I've been eligible, I'm 26 now. But to be honest I haven't a clue about politics, just what my Dad says. I think my vote is even more valuable now the way the country is. Some candidates give the same promises, do you choose then by the party they're with or what?

Can't see Mr. FF Porche Cayenne (Hennesy) coming close either. (His chosen election vehcile was parked in Malahide today... talk about unsubtle. 300,000 unemployed and he's using a €150k car as an election advertiser.)
    He drives a BMW 7 series does he not? He's a solicitor getting paid top dollar, what did you expect him to be driving, a clapped out 1990 Toyota Corolla :confused: Whats his car got to do with it? Just to balance the books, what do you drive in these recessionary times in the interest of fairness? Cheap shot to be dissing his car.

Yes. Daragh Butler (FF Swords), Eoghan O'Brien (FF Malahide) and Eithne Loftus (FG Castleknock) are coopted Councillors replacing Councillors who were eleceted to the Dail. The dual mandate forbids TD's from also being councillors.

They were coopted in June 2007 when I was elected Mayor.

Lawless or Dowling might surprise a few, particularly the latter with his service to Donabate over the years. FG might well upset the apple cart and take two in Swords. Devitt will of course be one of those two.

The dual mandate makes a lot of sense but its some stroke getting in by this means you have to say. You could literally pluck a randomer off the street and propose them. They were virtual nobodys to the local electorate before this year.

Were you not a member of Green Party at one time or looking to join? Looking to run in Balbriggan T.C election? About 5 or 6 years ago.

Nope, never joined or sought to join the greens. I went to a public meeting with Trevor Sargent and Dan Boyle to get some information in February 2004. I also had a very long chat with Cllr Dave O'Connor & a shorter one with Cllr Michael Kennedy around the same time but no one ever mentions that.

I was interested in helping FG during the 2004 elections in Balbriggan, made a few calls in November 2003, met a few people and I was noticed and asked to run in Malahide in May 04. Sean Brown was the person whom I met and helped him a little bit in 2004 before begining my own campaign. I moved to Balbriggan in April 04 and left in September 05 but had planned to stay longer. My goal was to get involved in local politics, perhaps with a view to running in 2009 but that wasn't really on my mind at the time.
    Cheap shot to be dissing his car.

Nothing cheap about expressing my opinion. If I knew the man, I'd say it to him. I saw a Porche Cayenne with his face on the side.

I think its a tasteless expression of wealth which is questionable in the current circumstances and frankly most other times too, awful car....
    The dual mandate makes a lot of sense but its some stroke getting in by this means you have to say. You could literally pluck a randomer off the street and propose them. They were virtual nobodys to the local electorate before this year.

Maybe so but I'm fairly sure they don't pick random people to stand into a councillors shoes. Tends to be members of the party or family. I wouldn't advocate for local byelections but I think random cooptions are wrong. I think something similar to what they do for the euros would make sense, an A & B list for example.

Nothing cheap about expressing my opinion. If I knew the man, I'd say it to him. I saw a Porche Cayenne with his face on the side.

I think its a tasteless expression of wealth which is questionable in the current circumstances and frankly most other times too, awful car....
    Agreed, no accounting for taste, Porsche Cayenne is hideous but I cant say I am any more impressed by seeing Enda Kenny's face plastered all over a Nissan Quashqai's in Dublin City Centre :eek:

Dont forget to tell us what car your driving now :)

• Advertisement

Agreed, no accounting for taste, Porsche Cayenne is hideous but I cant say I am any more impressed by seeing Enda Kenny's face plastered all over a Nissan Quashqai's in Dublin City Centre :eek:

Dont forget to tell us what car your driving now :)

I have an Audi.

Advertisement