Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Question

Options
  • 09-05-2009 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

I want to do a complete reformat of my computer, I got a 500GB SATA HD recently to back everything up - I thought it would be simple just open up and pop it in but my computer already has two 250GBs taking up the bays and there are no extra power connecters so I cant hook up the 500GB alongside the other 2 and backup from there.

I was thinking maybe I could plug out the 2 250s, pop in the 500 and load up windows onto it and then reconnect one of the other hds and browse from there or would have cause some kind of corruption since the 2 250s only make up one drive in windows?

Id really appreciate any help, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

Is there not a 3rd & 4th Sata port? Do you only have 2 sata ports (not cables) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

W!zard wrote: »
    Is there not a 3rd & 4th Sata port? Do you only have 2 sata ports (not cables) ?

Bear in mind the user could have an OEM PC which are never ever generous with expansion ports.... The OP mentions there is a lack of power cables, not sata.

To the OP: you mention you have x2 hard disks and that windows sees theses as one harddrive?
    Are you using RAID? I would advise to full post your specs or at least mention the model of your pc?
    Also are there spare molex connectors? (big white power connectors) You can get an adapter to convert from molex to SATA power connector easily....

IF: you have no spare ports/power rails as your pc is a stingy OEM one etc....

This is what I would do. Leave both old haddrives in, get a USB caddie to convert your 500gig to an external USB harddrive.

example: a box that converts internal harddrives to an external harddrive...
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326875

Connect the temp external harddrive to windows by USB and partition the new 500 gig harddrive within windows: x1 30gig partition for a future install of windows and partition the rest into a data partition.
    Then remove the x2 250 gigs and pop in the 500 gig into the pc in their place, when installing windows select the 30 gig partition as the install partition for windows.
    Once windows is installed, it will pick up your data partition and all your backed up data.

Then you can wipe the x2 250gig and convert one to an external usb drive andpop the other back into the pc as an extra 250 gig drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

Super advise uberpixie! It would help alot more knowing the specs.
    Good one :cool:

Advertisement