Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[XBOX360] Fifa 2009 League-General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

*yawn* I can see you are just going to keep posting childish replies back trying to be humourous at this stage so im gonna go to sleep now and try figure what the ten excuses I apparently made were. Keep up the moonwalking there bubbles :pac: just messin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pity Ultimate team celebrations don't carry over to the main game. Some of them dance moves would go well in a thread like this :D

In all seriousness, formations matter not a jot. In regular online fifa I play 4-3-3, in Ultimate team I play 4-1-2-1-2 and in the league I play 4-4-2. It doesn't make a difference. Good players will play well and it's that simple.

Your skill, your custom tactics.....and your Player's speed / strength matters way more than formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Axwell wrote: »
    *yawn* I can see you are just going to keep posting childish replies back trying to be humourous at this stage so im gonna go to sleep now and try figure what the ten excuses I apparently made were. Keep up the moonwalking there bubbles :pac: just messin :rolleyes:

Your a funny man. :rolleyes:

Kirby wrote: »
    Pity Ultimate team celebrations don't carry over to the main game. Some of them dance moves would go well in a thread like this :D

In all seriousness, formations matter not a jot. In regular online fifa I play 4-3-3, in Ultimate team I play 4-1-2-1-2 and in the league I play 4-4-2. It doesn't make a difference. Good players will play well and it's that simple.

Your skill, your custom tactics.....and your Player's speed / strength matters way more than formation.

They would. But if Axwell lost hed probably kill the internet. And not be able to take a joke. :)

I would of agreed with ya on the tactics/formations but I do think they factor as when I was playing some teams online the fast teams such as barca and united would walk through slower defences so thats why I stick in 6 defenders and tighten it up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Of course formations matter, if you have good wide players you play them in a formation that suits so you can get the ball out to them and use them on the flanks, or if you have a slow defence you play extra to tighten it up or likewise you play 2 men up front if you have a tall and a fast one so one plays off another. The whole of Ultimate team is built around chemistry and formation, by playing players of the same formation and in the right place your chemistry goes up, if you dont they play crap.

• Advertisement

but see, thats where I usually disagree with other players. If somebody scores against you, its your own fault.

Fast players don't have a devine right to coast through your defense....you let them. From time to time, I get caught from the tip off and they run through and score. Thats not because "Zomg they are too fast11!!!".....its because I acted like a plonker and let it happen.

"You only scored because you have Torres/Messi/Ronaldo/ etc.
    "You only scored because my defenders are slow
    "You only score from pullbacks.
    "You only score cause you have 3 up front / have wide men / 7 at the back etc.
    "You only score from crosses.
    "You only score from Corners.
    "You score in the same through ball every time.
    "You beat my defenders with the same flick every time.

I've heard this stuff for over 10 years playing football games. I've even said them myself at times in anger. But its all bull****. If a player is scoring the same way every time, you are not a good player if you cant stop it....and its that simple.

if you have a slow defence you play extra to tighten it up or likewise you play 2 men up front if you have a tall and a fast one so one plays off another.

This is simply wrong. If your team is slow, packing more slow defenders in wont help. You don't change your formation if you have slow defenders....you change your custom tactics. You make the play "Deep" so that the striker speed is less effective....they cant get in behind you. Slow defenders is only an issue when you play aggressively and they caught out on the halfway line. If you build your custom tactics right, they will stay back alot further.....no easy through ball for the striker to run onto.

but see, thats where I usually disagree with other players. If somebody scores against you, its your own fault.

Fast players don't have a devine right to coast through your defense....you let them. From time to time, I get caught from the tip off and they run through and score. Thats not because "Zomg they are too fast11!!!".....its because I acted like a plonker and let it happen.

"You only scored because you have Torres/Messi/Ronaldo/ etc.
    "You only scored because my defenders are slow
    "You only score from pullbacks.
    "You only score cause you have 3 up front / have wide men / 7 at the back etc.
    "You only score from crosses.
    "You only score from Corners.
    "You score in the same through ball every time.
    "You beat my defenders with the same flick every time.

I've heard this stuff for over 10 years playing football games. I've even said them myself at times in anger. But its all bull****. If a player is scoring the same way every time, you are not a good player if you cant stop it....and its that simple.

Aye but the way I stopped messi/ronaldos coasting through my defence (when liverpools form is down) was by changing to the 6 man formation i have now.

But I didnt create this formation for fiorentina i made it for liverpool so its not geared towards mutu or gillardino etc. Its geared to stop fast players getting by my defence.

With the addidas live thing if you have ronaldo or someone of that quality on form its waaaaay harder stop them with a normal formation.

EDIT: Just thinking there I do have custom tatics involved in this formation. Its def not down to one or the other you need both combined.

This is simply wrong. If your team is slow, packing more slow defenders in wont help. You don't change your formation if you have slow defenders....you change your custom tactics. You make the play "Deep" so that the striker speed is less effective....they cant get in behind you. Slow defenders is only an issue when you play aggressively and they caught out on the halfway line. If you build your custom tactics right, they will stay back alot further.....no easy through ball for the striker to run onto.

Playing deep defence only does so much if they have fast wingers flying down the outside past your defence and cutting back in towards the box playing the ball to the striker, formations are just as important as tactics and everything else IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I need to work on my tactics big time :pac: After a great start I'm going downhill and fast!

• Advertisement

Playing deep defence only does so much if they have fast wingers flying down the outside past your defence and cutting back in towards the box playing the ball to the striker, formations are just as important as tactics and everything else IMO.

Guess we have differing opinions on this and will just have to agree to differ. Nothing wrong with that. :)

I would put this to you though, nobody ever scores from the wing. I often let people bomb down the wing all they want. Ultimately, all they can do is either cross it or bring it in. The mistake alot of people make is rushing out to meet them. You are better off becoming a box player and putting him in a good position to win the header / intercept the pass.

also, if you struggle against wingers, play deep and also play with lots of team width. problem solved. One might argue i should shut up and keep it to myself but I'd prefer if more people used tactics instead of complaining about a myriad of stuff.
    formations are just as important as tactics and everything else IMO.

Perhaps for you, but as I said I play several different formations for variety and play well with them all. Infact, I would go so far as to say I can win well with any formation...let the opponent pick it etc. However, change my custom tacs and I would struggle alot more. The sliders have a larger impact on what goes on. For example, Play your formation with Organised position. Then play the SAME formation with free movement thingy selected. It makes a big difference and its one single setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

I would put this to you though, nobody ever scores from the wing.

Lies lies i tells ya, Dirk Kuyt cross into the net against you from the wing :)

But seriously if you give people time or space on the wing and let their players make runs into the box your asking for trouble, they may not score from the wing but it sure as hell makes it easier for the rest of the team to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

sparky360 wrote: »
    I will be on tonight to play mine.

Blackburn Rovers v Everton

My fathers 50th was on so wasn't able to get on! I'm heading out tonight but I'm availible all day 2mo!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

*does robot celebration moves*

Please note, This celebration is only allowed in the 45th and 90th minute :D

Parawind wrote: »
    Lies lies i tells ya, Dirk Kuyt cross into the net against you from the wing :)

Ah yes! The mythical cross shot. Almost had a coronary when that one went in. :D Still, We have had about 600 games of this years fifa and its only happened once.... thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Mr Moon wrote: »
    Please note, This celebration is only allowed in the 45th and 90th minute :D

Except against Moon, when its allowed for each and every goal. Not only allowed, but recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyKeaneNO16

Hello I cant read 36 pages haha but i just want to know are yous doing a leagie fifa 09 xbox has it started can i join? if its full can i join if someone drops out Gamertag irishfifaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 firebrad

anyone know when FIfa 2010 is coming out?? cant wait

firebrad wrote: »
    anyone know when FIfa 2010 is coming out?? cant wait

dont know excact date but it will be sept or october probably late sept

Sorry but thats a massive load of sh!t. Its infinitely more difficult when you have a team with tactical awareness in the 60-70s, and pace in the 60-70s. Its easy to talk up great tactics with one of the best teams in the game. You have pace, strength and your players implement your tactics perfectly. The worse teams are not only slower, have less strength, but they don't carry out your tactics very well either.

Thats why its so difficult to make up the gap between 5 star and 4 star when your playing equally skilled players :)

• Advertisement

Hello I cant read 36 pages haha but i just want to know are yous doing a leagie fifa 09 xbox has it started can i join? if its full can i join if someone drops out Gamertag irishfifaking

The league is already under way ..keep an eye on the thread for a signup for the next one ..Season 5

The league is already under way ..keep an eye on the thread for a signup for the next one ..Season 5

thanks pal if anyone wants a game just drop us a friend request

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

im going to be on most of the night after 8pm or so. I've to play AXWELL, MOIPH & BUBS. If you're on pm me or ill pm you. I'll be on Tuesday night aswell.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Anyone of Sparky360, Mr Moon or mika27 on tonight to get some games played!?

Marksrfc90 - Blackburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Right lads, well I'm off on Holidays tomorrow morning. Will be back on the 19th.

I'll have nine games to play the following week and I'll get them done.

Cheers:D

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Its easy to talk up great tactics with one of the best teams in the game.

To be fair, I had never used Bayern before the league started. And I was one of the last picks in the Championship. Not my fault nobody picked Bayern :D

And if/when I get promoted Ill be in the same boat as everyone else in the premiership. Its my own personal belief that people put to much emphasis on "stuff they can't control". "Oh, my chem is low" "My tactical awarness is low" " Slow players!" etc. Im of the school, if you got beaten, you did something wrong.

Parawind beat me four times in a row the other night.....At the time I was raging at how lucky he got with bizarre deflections and ricochets.... but it was bollox. If I had played better, those deflections wouldnt have mattered. If you lose, Its cause you didnt deserve to win.

btw I'm on now if villa, roma or arsenal are available.

Im of the school, if you got beaten, you did something wrong.

So its not possible in your school of thought to get beat because the other person had a team with better players and stats than you? So if im Barcelona and your say St Pats and I beat you 10-0 its because you did something wrong? IMO no matter how you play them they wont beat Barcelona because they havent the stats to do it you can change all the custom tactics and formations etc you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

btw I'm on now if villa, roma or arsenal are available.
    Sorry Kirby wont be online until this evening. Can play out game then if your on.

Arsenal

• Advertisement

If you lose, Its cause you didnt deserve to win.

Bull. What you are basically saying is that team & player stats don't influence the game. As an extreme example, you are actually saying you have no advantage playing as Manchester United against West Brom, if you are against someone the same level as you.

Its no advantage if your players are faster, stronger and more tactically aware? Fair enough then. Again, Its easy to say that when you have picked a top team yourself. In that case so, I'll pick United next season :)

Advertisement