Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[XBOX360] Fifa 2009 League-General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'll put my hands up and say was me that did that to bennycon last night in our game, Im offering to replay the game if you want?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

The only time I've seen that was when Virgil did it on me and scored in our league match!

I was shocked! Least I won the game or I would've been quiet angry, incredible hulk style!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think its pretty poor sportsmanship to be doing it tbh. That's me saying it as a player.

Guys, if you need to do this to win, then you're in the wrong league. Plenty of leagues full of players who use every dirty trick in the book to get an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Mr Moon wrote: »

Championship
    Barcelona v Liverpool
    Man City v Barcelona
    Barcelona v Man City
    Man City twice, should be interesting. You hammered me in a friendly recently, 2 games in a row against you now, could be painful.

Right, I hope to be on this evening around 8 or 9, for the night, and I have AS Roma from week 3 and Inter Milan from Week 5 to play too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Smegball wrote: »
    I'll put my hands up and say was me that did that to bennycon last night in our game, Im offering to replay the game if you want?

Not looking for a reply as you hammered me after that fair and square but I just want to get this addressed before there is a major row over it. The game has very few flaws but for some reason this has just started to become easy to pull off. A bit like last year (fifa08) if you have the Liverpool default line up V ManUs then it was 50/50 that you could score from the tip as Liverpool stood off and reina would be way off his line, myself and one of my mates had the agreement that it was banned from our games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I think a problem with anything like this is that sportsmanship is expected but there is no way to monitor games or what happens. For example the last man tackle is frowned upon etc but no one can see it except the 2 people playing so its up to both of them to be sporting enough not to do it, same goes for the blocking the keeper, its unsporting and in a friendly league like this there is no need for it. Im sure also that some players dont follow the rules regarding assisted controls but again there is no way to check this so in a sporting manner its assumed you follow the rules outlined in the stickied thread about the league. For those that havent seen it or read it before maybe they should throw an eye over it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055523888

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Championship:

Athletico Madrid V

Man City,
    Man Utd,
    Man Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Guys, this has been discussed before. Last man tackling is part of real football. This is a football simulation, therefore it is part of the game. Hacking somebody down is no more "unsportsman" like then hammering somebody 8-0. There is no need to keep scoring.....you are making the person feel worse. So why isn't it against the rules to score more than 3 goals coz it is a frendly league?

Really, the arguements against it are just people whining. "OMG I was clean through and you hacked me down and you won!!!!!" Its part of football the same way passing, shooting, crossing, diving, dissent, etc.

With regards to the keeper kickout block, if you take a step backwards with your keeper he can't block it as the AI wont let the attacker in the box while the keeper is holding the ball.... the only time it happens is when the keeper tries to boot it quick after a corner or free kick because you are hammering the kick button.

Just to be clear, I havent scored a goal by blocking the keeper. I havent hacked anyone down in a 1v1. My disciplinary record is pretty good with only a single red card....and that was in the centre circle. So I'm not saying this in my own self interest. I just think they are both part of real football and should be allowed. I have no issues with a defender hacking me down. Sometimes, your player has to take one for the team..... just like in real football.

Scoring from the centre circle is a bug, hacking somebody down is not. Ragequitting is unsportman like. Watching 3 replays is unsportman like. Making invisible subs is unsportsmanlike...........Playing the game the way it was meant to be played is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    And of course, plans never change, right? :rolleyes:

"Hey, you coming out tonight"
    "No, I've to play a fifa match at 23.30".

See, I can do the rolleyes thing too.

Erm yes all you need to do is click the rollseye icon.

All im saying is its not hard set up a game. No need to get pissy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

any chance of someone joining late to the league? I've got nothing but free time so I can play catch up easy enough.

• Advertisement

I'd be all for it but I dont think its aloud. If you allow one, everybody wants in and it gets messy. We are halfway through tho, so that something.

Maybe you could be aloud join the practice league? Most of the players from the championship and premiership use it to experiment. You should ask FutureGuy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, it was a long shot :) don't want to screw with what y'all have clearly spent time organising and setting up

I'll just ask anyone who wants to play a few games of fifa whenever to send me a pm and we can arrange stuff.

oh look at that, I just did :)

Sounds great. My gamertag is HokemPokem. Add away :)

Kirby wrote: »
    Guys, this has been discussed before. Last man tackling is part of real football. This is a football simulation, therefore it is part of the game. Hacking somebody down is no more "unsportsman" like then hammering somebody 8-0. There is no need to keep scoring.....you are making the person feel worse. So why isn't it against the rules to score more than 3 goals coz it is a frendly league?

Really, the arguements against it are just people whining. "OMG I was clean through and you hacked me down and you won!!!!!" Its part of football the same way passing, shooting, crossing, diving, dissent, etc.

With regards to the keeper kickout block, if you take a step backwards with your keeper he can't block it as the AI wont let the attacker in the box while the keeper is holding the ball.... the only time it happens is when the keeper tries to boot it quick after a corner or free kick because you are hammering the kick button.

Just to be clear, I havent scored a goal by blocking the keeper. I havent hacked anyone down in a 1v1. My disciplinary record is pretty good with only a single red card....and that was in the centre circle. So I'm not saying this in my own self interest. I just think they are both part of real football and should be allowed. I have no issues with a defender hacking me down. Sometimes, your player has to take one for the team..... just like in real football.

Scoring from the centre circle is a bug, hacking somebody down is not. Ragequitting is unsportman like. Watching 3 replays is unsportman like. Making invisible subs is unsportsmanlike...........Playing the game the way it was meant to be played is not.

Taking the last man down IS unsporting, and definately against the rules of this leage on Boards. I have kicked people out of the league for constantly doing it and I wont hesitate to do it again.

If I want to beat the sh1t of someone, i'll play Street Fighter. If I want to play soccer, I'll play FIFA.

So overly physical, cynical tackling isnt part of football? Stoke should just sit there and let arsenal beat them?

I think there is some confusion about what you don't "like" and what is "fair". I don't like chipped balls over the top..because they are hard to deal with. But they are a part of football. So i deal with it.

So overly physical, cynical tackling isnt part of football? Stoke should just sit there and let arsenal beat them?

I think there is some confusion about what you don't "like" and what is "fair". I don't like chipped balls over the top..because they are hard to deal with. But they are a part of football. So i deal with it.

Yes, chipped balls are part of soccer, but how many attempts to deliberately take out the last man do you see in the Premiership each week? Almost zero because there are real world consequences if you do that, none of which translate to a 7 min-a-side FIFA game.

Lose a man in FIFA, it's not going to have a big effect. Lose a man in the same fashion in real world you are missing a player for 3 matches.

THis league was built with a ban on deliberately taking out the last to prevent a goal. Thats the way it is, and thats the way it will stay.

If one starts, everyone will and it will descend into farce of a game where players are expendable in order to keep the score at 0-0.

Ive had people do it on me.....I don't mind. I would find it very childish if somebody started "tattling" on other players just because they lost. Also, it happens every week. Everyweek somebody is sent off for a tackle around the box.....or pulling somebody back...

What about cynical handballs? Lots of peno's given for them. In real life, players do illegal stuff to stop goals all the time. Why should it be different here? Football is a cynical business :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

FutureGuy wrote: »
    If one starts, everyone will and it will descend into farce of a game where players are expendable in order to keep the score at 0-0.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

My disciplinary record was awful last year and while I'm a big fan of crunching tackles, cynical last man tackles are an absolute no no. Would just turn the league very very bitter

Ive had people do it on me.....I don't mind. I would find it very childish if somebody started "tattling" on other players just because they lost. Also, it happens every week. Everyweek somebody is sent off for a tackle around the box.....or pulling somebody back...

What about cynical handballs? Lots of peno's given for them. In real life, players do illegal stuff to stop goals all the time. Why should it be different here? Football is a cynical business :D

Get over it! Last man tackles are against the rules in the league and that's that. I don't know why you keep arguing about it cause the rule is not going to be changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Guess what... this isn't real life football. I've lost almost every game and have not resorted to last man take-downs. If i did i would be seen as a bad sport and thats how i would see anyone who does.

winston82 wrote: »
    Guess what... this isn't real life football.
    Then whats the point? Why not play Sega super power weapon multi ball! Most people play fifa coz its a football simulator. With the exception of diving and dissent, every facet of football is in the game. Thats a good thing.
    winston82 wrote: »
    I've lost almost every game and have not resorted to last man take-downs. If i did i would be seen as a bad sport and thats how i would see anyone who does
    I havent done it either. People have done it on me though, and i didn't think it was bad sport. That was all I was trying to get accross. I see at as a simulation of real football, so people can foul me all they want :)

Get over it! Last man tackles are against the rules in the league and that's that. I don't know why you keep arguing about it cause the rule is not going to be changed.

Okay, firstly, it was bennyc and CKWPORT that broached the question a page and half ago, not me.

And kindly don't try to make out I'm the only one who disagrees with you. The league is divided on the last man issue.... If you bothered to read the thread or ask around you would know this. If you want me to list names, I can do it.....but I don't think its warranted. A quick scan will tell you most peoples views on it.

Why are you afraid of discussion by the way? Thats what forums were invented for ya know. If the majority disagree with something, it usually gets changed. Thats the beauty of discussion. The rest week for example. It was an idea proposed, it had merit. But most people didn't really want one, so it didn't happen.

You need to make allowances for other peoples opinions cactus mac. A little less, "OMG get over it. Im right, your wrong!" would be nice.

Discussion = Good.
    No Discussion = Boring forum.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Okay, firstly, it was bennyc and CKWPORT that broached the question a page and half ago, not me.

And kindly don't try to make out I'm the only one who disagrees with you. The league is divided on the last man issue.... If you bothered to read the thread or ask around you would know this. If you want me to list names, I can do it.....but I don't think its warranted. A quick scan will tell you most peoples views on it.

Why are you afraid of discussion by the way? Thats what forums were invented for ya know. If the majority disagree with something, it usually gets changed. Thats the beauty of discussion. The rest week for example. It was an idea proposed, it had merit. But most people didn't really want one, so it didn't happen.

You need to make allowances for other peoples opinions cactus mac. A little less, "OMG get over it. Im right, your wrong!" would be nice.

Discussion = Good.

Last man tackles is cheating in real life football and cheating in fifa so that's why its a rule in the Boards fifa league. One of the reasons a lot of people joined this league is because they're sick of playing people online who take you out when your 1 on 1. FutureGuy has already said the rule wont be changed but your still going on about how "Its part of the game". The rules not going to be changed so that's why I was saying "that's that".

Last man tackles is cheating in real life football and cheating in fifa.

And in real life, and fifa, you get a red card. Strange that. Its almost like they put it in on purpose! :rolleyes:

Anyway, ultimately it doesn't matter to me. I have quick defenders and play deep so I never find myself in that situation anyway. Its just the principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

And in real life, and fifa, you get a red card. Strange that. Its almost like they put it in on purpose! :rolleyes:

In real life you're looking at a 3 match ban at least. Not in Fifa

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The league is divided on the last man issue.... If you bothered to read the thread or ask around you would know this. If you want me to list names, I can do it.....but I don't think its warranted. A quick scan will tell you most peoples views on it.

Anyone who played the league last season knows the rules on last man challenges and the way the league is run so its not as divided as you claim. Its there in the rules for everyone to see and the rules were put there by FG before the league started and everyone was told to read them especially the new players, debating it is fine but its been decided in previous season to be unsporting and uncalled for and unacceptable in the league. If the newer players dont agree with the rule then maybe the league isnt for them but either way the rules are there to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Discussion = Good.

Arguing about the last man tackle rule = Boring forum

Where are all my opponents? I've been on last night and most of today and nobody is around!! Come on people!!

Mr Moon wrote: »
    Where are all my opponents? I've been on last night and most of today and nobody is around!! Come on people!!

I think I have to play you twice this week. Ill definitely be on tonight to play one of our games.

• Advertisement

I think I have to play you twice this week. Ill definitely be on tonight to play one of our games.

Yeah, I've to lose to you twice this week, but wont be on tonight, AC/DC is getting in the way of that, but I'm off tomorrow so if you're around during the day I should be on!!

Advertisement