Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative Equity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'd rather be in Negative Equity myself than be someone like you who takes pleasure in the misfortune of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Senna wrote: »
    I'd rather be in Negative Equity myself than be someone like you who takes pleasure in the misfortune of others.

Agreed. Pointless and childish thread. Poor show, OP.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Senna wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273055

I think Ian Curtis (the poster, not the Ian Curtis) is something of a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

troll,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

negative equity is only a figure on a piece of paper, it makes no difference to anyone, so i am not sure what you are sorry about :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

negative equity is only a figure on a piece of paper, it makes no difference to anyone, so i am not sure what you are sorry about :confused:

Well, there are quite a few negatives I can think of:

- it kills your ability to move home. This is a huge issue for thousands that bought so-called "starter homes" with the intention of trading up in a few years.

- if anything happens to your employment you run the risk of having your home sold and realising a loss.

- Unless you have a fixed or tracker interest rate you are open to abuse by your lender as you can't go anywhere else.

I have friends who currently estimate themselves to be in neg equity to the tune of 80K and all of the above factors are causing huge stress for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It also means you're paying a bigger mortgage now than you would have if you'd held on for a while. If people have more disposable income, it's better for them and better for the economy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

And, for the people who took out sub prime, interest only or deferred start mortgages on the basis that after a few years they could either sell and pocket the equity or else they would be in a position to move onto a more regular annuity mortgage, they are now stuck and in an ever worsening position.

Also, although a minor point, people on LTV mortgages will be paying a higher rate of interest as reduced house prices move them to higher LTV bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Also, although a minor point, people on LTV mortgages will be paying a higher rate of interest as reduced house prices move them to higher LTV bands.

Have people been moved to different LTV rates? i thought most of those new LTV standard variable bands are based on the LTV when they took out the mortgage.
    If a bank moved someone based on a current valuation then that person could well fight the new valuation, seen its so hard to put an exact valuation in the current climate.

Advertisement