Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIDL to cut prices, price war imminent.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They have a sign up, saying that 40% of products are sourced from irish suppliers...

There's a difference between suppliers and producers. Suppliers aren't saints, they're the ones that have been adding alot on top to make a nice profit and not passing it on to the producer.

Lidl ftw.

Wouldnt buy a packet of chewing gum in Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dunnes have today reduced the price of some basics, these are important as they attract customers:
    1l milk from 79c to 78c

blimey - 1c cheaper, that will attract the crowds....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Lidl ftw.
    What is ftw short for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

IIMII wrote: »
    What is ftw short for?

For The Win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Davy wrote: »
    For The Win

Wondered what FTW meant too. I used to just ignore it. Not the most useful of acronyms IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

2ltr milk is only €1.49 now in lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

foggy_lad wrote: »

milk FTW!

Hope I got the context right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

IIMII wrote: »
    What is ftw short for?
    Feed The World. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bennyob

foggy_lad wrote: »

same price in supervalu. i picked one up over the weekend.

a lot of price following going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

As someone on a very low income, I'm more concerned about the money that's in my pocket and not what's in the pockets of Irish suppliers.
    I notice a lot of people talking about the price of bread, milk, cheese etc.
    The real rip off is in things like toiletries, baby food etc. Most of these products aren't made in Ireland but are imported anyway. Tesco is now sourcing these in the 11 border stores using their UK network to get these products.
    Why are Irish suppliers charging such high products for imports such as these?
    I have no sympathy for them...I have sympathy for farmers who are being unfairly squeezed, none for the suppliers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Such items are subject to VAT at 21.5% Plus there is price gouging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Baby food and nappies are not subject to VAT, even the 6.5% difference in toiletries nowhere near makes up for the price differential on toiletries. I'd be very interested on hearing from suppliers of internationally sourced toiletries and baby food to see what their take would be the difference in price between the UK and here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

bennyob wrote: »
    same price in supervalu. i picked one up over the weekend.

a lot of price following going on.
    FYI

Londis - 2L milk €1.39

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

All the supermarkets seem to be carrying a similar amount of Irish produce. Anyway, I think anybody buying bread or meat in a supermarket is crazy. Bakeries and butchers have produce that's a thousand times nicer and costs the same if not less in most instances. It's probably that most people are too lazy to walk around to separate outlets.

I'm liking the competition at the moment. It'd be nice to see Dunnes and Tesco try and adopt more Lidl/Aldi practices like having no music, less decor, no merchandising and such to bring down costs.

I think eventually Ireland is going to start to rely on local produce more because the cost of flying/shipping/trucking food thousands of miles to your basket is going to get too expensive. Hopefully by the time that happens all the good producers/farmers won't all be out of business. I think many Irish farmers still do produce much better quality food than anybody else is offering. At a certain point cost cutting can start to really **** up the quality of the food your eating and it's a case of diminishing returns.

Foreign milk and butter isn't nearly as nice as our stuff. That's why I'm always surprised people are so obsessed with prices. People want it sold at cost price but they're prepared to pay twice that for a bottle of Evian, which doesn't take a fraction of the work to produce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

Foreign milk and butter isn't nearly as nice as our stuff.
    If you include NI/UK produce in that then I would beg to differ. I certainly can't tell the difference between Irish and foreign stuff in this context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

TM wrote: »
    If you include NI/UK produce in that then I would beg to differ. I certainly can't tell the difference between Irish and foreign stuff in this context.

Massive difference between our Dairy Milks! My local Dunnes was doing a very good special on packs of Dairymilk recently. Fortunately, I checked and was able to confirm it's not the real stuff:p so threw it back in the bargain bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

I think the best advantage of shopping in Lidyls is that most of their electrical items carry a 3 year free guarantee.Never having had a problem with items i bought from them before a microwave i got 2 1/2 years ago broke ,i rang the helpline and a new one was delivered next day and the old one was taken away,no quibble.Afriend of mine had the same experience with a DVD recorder,a fantastic service that would cost at least an extra 25% elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

German discounter Aldi has joined the grocery price war with reductions on over one-quarter of its range being introduced from today.
    Aldi said the price reductions were long-term and were available in all its 67 stores throughout the country.
    The price cuts include 20 per cent off olive oil, €1 off a free-range Irish chicken, 33 per cent off toilet rolls and 33 per cent off bananas.
    Aldi says more than 40 per cent of all grocery sales are on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers and this business is set to grow in the coming months.

They seem to be price-matching Lidl's cuts last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

• Advertisement
Advertisement