Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Traders Association Completely Thick Or What?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 2:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Front of the Drogheda D.I. this week.

t6s4lg.jpg

Announcement that the idiots that run Drogheda (Drogheda Traders Association) are now going to rip up the grand (expensive) seats in the main street so that they can provide a massive 20 car parking places!

O' frakin' wow! :mad:

They claim this will help bring business back to West Street. Are they completely out of touch or what! Gobschites!
    So 20 extra cars (that each will no doubt over run their parking time limit anyway or be used by delivery men) to clog up West Street is going to make all the difference.

These morans haven't got a clue.

Since the building of further out of town shopping locations/centres its inevitable that business will go else where but the blind stupid bats on the
    Drogheda Traders Association can't see that.
    Instead on top of the ten million it cost to change West street, they are now going to throw some of that money away and waste even more by changing the set-up design again!!!

Who actually asked these idiots and how do we get rid of them? :mad::mad::mad:

They are completely clueless, thick and out of touch.

20 friggin' spaces for crying out loud!!! Let make it clear, the original street was re-done in the last few years to modernise it with less traffic for shoppers to dodge around.
    Now they are trying or going to, reverse the whole frakin' thing again and let more traffic on to it. Talk about throwing more good money after bad!
    They are wasting their time with this IDIOTIC plan. Its not going to make one blind bit of difference whatsoever.

UTTER GOBSCHITES!!!

If they want to get business back to West street, how about some of the shops dropping their rip-off prices!
    O' no... but that would be asking too much! In the meanwhile, yet again the tax payer - yes - thats you, will have to fork out to pay for this latest wasteful, idiotic idea of re-design and implementations - AGAIN!!!

If they want business back in the town - tell some of the shops that I could name, to stop their still rip-off prices. That would be a much better, bigger incentive than this stupidity.

Let me say it again. The D.T.A. = UTTER GOBSCHITES!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Maybe they should try lower their prices first :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah me old granny (a Droghedonian herself) said that nothing good would come of the work in west st...all this pedestrianisation bullsh*t they pilfer all over the country...these plans look lovely in the artists render and the scale model in some architect's office but in reality all you end up with is places for congregation and fighting after the pubs n clubs shut up for the night and more traffic and parking problems for everyone else during the day, never mind the inconvenience during the build.
    They've been talking and talking about doing the same thing to Park st in Dundalk (and turning the ramparts into the main thoroughfare :rolleyes: ) as they've done to Narrow West st...thankfully our local bunch of clowns won't have the funding available any time soon as cross border trade impacts on budgets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If the prices is there, the people will come. Pedestrianisation or not. Of course the outer shopping estates will have an effect, but then that's population expansion for you and is side effects.

I've been to many cities home and abroad where pedestrianisation has taken place. The cars are a lot less, the people come daily in their huge quantities still to their main streets - despite outerlying shopping estates.
    Its all down to prices and availability. Pedestrianisation to be honest, is window-dressing - not the underlying whole excuse for lack of sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

IMO for the most part it isn't suited to Irish towns, subtracts from on street parking (as seen by this move) increases rents and rates (to pay for the works) and does little for the shops themselves.
    It is window dressing as you say...and it doesn't benefit shoppers in the way the planners envisage it...our narrow streets (not just in drogheda) and our centralised market town structure doesn't suit the european style we copy, and if anything removes a lot of the charm of the typical main st. Obviously it's safer (although that crossroads thing at the tolsell is an accident waiting to happen) and traffic is eased...those are about the only positives I can think of.
    Narrow West st wasn't broken and they went and fixed it...the traders did enough giving out about it as works were ongoing and now they want some of it reversed. The waste of money is palpable...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wertz wrote: »
    IMO for the most part ...
    ...Narrow West st wasn't broken and they went and fixed it...the traders did enough giving out about it as works were ongoing and now they want some of it reversed. The waste of money is palpable...

You make some good points and I agree with a lot of them. Pedestrianisation does work to an advantage for town and cities IF married with decent prices and (now that I think of it) decent looking shops.
    A lot of the shops in the town are as attractive as an open day on a building site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

I find it incredible that they are getting rid of the seating area in a so called pedestrian zone in order to put in 20 car parking spaces. Is this a piss take?

First they say West St will be pedestrianised only to put a road through it, bulldozing walking space as well as the english language. Now this! Where will it end?

A committee should be established calling for the de-pedestrianisation of West St. It didn't work so it should be renamed. It is well known that the DTA are a joke, and a self serving one at that.

The only good thing to come out of this is that at least part of the incongruous monstrosity that the town planners thought modern and chic will be taken down too. Phew.

Rant continues:

Why is there still a road going under Laurence's Gate? Was there not a call from the Council to pedestrianise this area???....oh, right.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭positron

IMHO, there is probably one or two individual in the amin, who has personal interest in more contract works (someone who benefits from the county council's work) is behind the original pedestrianization and now this plan!

What make me wonder is the development around Grangerath. Cars have been going in and out to Grangerath / road with a lot of difficulty and all in sudden, just in time for the new shopping center, new road layout with two really slow (tight) roundabouts are done and new traffic lights are put in - all of which benefits the SouthGate shopping center!

Capitalism in action, I guess - or I am a tin-hat conspiracy theorist - I don't know. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm from Drogheda originally , down every other weekend to see the folks.

Only away 5 years, such a shame to see the state of west st with more closed shops than open ones.

Used to be a time when a walk over west stree would talk an hour due to bumping into people , I honestly can say i cant remember that last time i met some one i knew on west street :(

Scotch hall is in the center of town but i think it was a big blow for a lot of the shops in west street, add to that the 2 or 3 retail parks a long the m1 (some of the shops where badly needed truth be told) and a few of the town traiders moved out to them like the sound shop and o reileys (thought this was to be yet another pay parking place ) etc. West street will be forever doomed because of these factors unless it miraculously gets turned into grafton st along with getting all its big name shops, I for one would welcome a burger king on west st :p

How is the laurance center doing cant say ive been in it more than once forgot it was even there to be honest and that we actually had a boots and m&s in town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

positron wrote: »
    IMHO, there is probably one or two individual in the amin, who has personal interest in more contract works (someone who benefits from the county council's work) is behind the original pedestrianization and now this plan!

These lowlifes think they can get away with anything they want. It's about time people stood up and put a stop to them - across the board.

I sat and watched my brother cry his eyes out on Sunday after both he and his wife lost their jobs within days of each other. He's now going to have to go back to the family home in Connemara with his young family and start all over again. Sorry for the rant, probably not the right place!

But it's one waste after another with this lot. It's disgusting.

Advertisement