Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe Day - 9 May

Options
  • 09-05-2009 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Does anyone really care or even know that it's on?

I wish people had a greater understanding of the European Union. The 9th of May 1950 was when Robert Schumann suggested to other European States the setting up of a Coal and Steel Community whose aim was to share the resources necessary to wage war. This would in effect make it impossible for European States to wage war with each other. Since then a continent that had been almost continually at war for thousands of years has developed into a peaceful and economically properous community, thanks largely to the European project.

How come we Irish do nothing to mark this occassion? For people who are interested the Commission Offices on Dawson Street are organising an information thingy today and tomorrow. You can drop in and get European desserts and coffee as well as info about the EU. There will also be a jazz musician (classy :p). I think I'll drop in later but I fear I will be one of the few.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

in fairness its not as if in berlin, london or paris tonight people will be sitting eating a bbq in the night sky with eu flags draped across their shoulders, as ode to joy plays in the background.:D

i was going to try get onto like stations like spin 103 and inform them as for australia day one of the channels dedicated their schedule to australian acts and kept saying happy oz day:rolleyes: but then wasn't bothered in the end.

i'd love if all across eu there were celebrations, maby a public holiday and firworks display and stuff like that. it be cool, maby in the future.

i might go tommorow.anyway happy europe day(somebody should start a happy euro day in after hours, i would but im banned )

Advertisement