Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I tell if my wordpress site has been hacked?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows a few easy checks to see if one of my WP sites has been hacked?

Ballygarvan GAA

There's been a few problems with it lately and I'm just wondering if anything has been added to it?

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

nothing jumps out but are you only using wp 2.4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Nice one for having a look, I'm using WordPress 2.7.1 seems to be the most up to date one!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your hosting company turns it off due to quantity of Zombie Spam Email sent using a hacked cgi script/exploit is a sure sign.

The content advertises Pirate Pay, strange pills, replica watches or "freedom fighters" in Mongolia is another sure sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

watty wrote: »
    Your hosting company turns it off due to quantity of Zombie Spam Email sent using a hacked cgi script/exploit is a sure sign.

The content advertises Pirate Pay, strange pills, replica watches or "freedom fighters" in Mongolia is another sure sign.

The hack I get hit with is where my .htaccess file gets compromised and the site redirected to some Turkish 15-year old's site, and then from there to whoever pays him for traffic. It's pretty obvious when it happens.

Easy enough to fix, but annoying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Gary it might help to specify the problems you are having or be more specific so we know what we are looking for or at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Ya sorry I was so vague, one problem I had was I didn't update magneto (I wasn't even using it!) and hosting comp contacted me telling me they've shut down the site as it was spamming people.

Then a week later a lot of the files on the site were deleted (not sure was that a hack or one of the admins breaking it!)

So all is ok now but since there are so many files and scripts in the wordpress site how do I know they havent injected some code into one of the files etc??

Probably a stupid question I know so apologies if it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you could just replace most of the files, with another installation, just to be safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We've seen quite a few issues over the last couple of months where it's the site owner's own pc that is infected. The sites aren't getting hacked directly, as it's the owner's own PC that is causing the issue :(

Advertisement