Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick glance at an AMD build please

Options
  • 09-05-2009 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Morning lads, i've chopped and changed a little but im 99% sure/happy with this. I have a new Antec case and a 750W TXCorsair psu from an upgrade just before xmass and im going to use my SynchMaster 2232bw monitor for the time been. I will be using a 64bit ver of Vista which apart from IE is quiet solid.

Anything you would change here..?

Radeon HD4890 - 1 GB DDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0

OCZ Fatal1ty DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit,

1TB Western Digital WD Caviar Eco-Green SATA 32MB cache

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition

MSI 790GX-G65, 790GX+SB750, Socket-AM3

Total is €640 with vat/shipping. Parts from pix/Mem c and Komplett.

I could shave about €60 from this by going for an (X3 710) and a (HD 4870 1 GB GDDR5) and tone down the ram by about €10/15 which would give me a price tag of about €570ish. What do you think.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What is this for? Gaming?

GPU depends on monitor, but even at 1920*1080 you could shave off €30 and get the HD4870 1GB without too much visual sacrifice and if you're not into overclocking (that's where the real benefits of a HD4890 become clear). If you want the best and want to tweak it up to the max stick with the €190 HD4890 Pixmania cheapie.

CPU is great for games, kinda gives you the best of both worlds so if lots of massively multithreaded PS3 ports turn up tomorrow you won't be caught short (even heavily OCd C2D up to ~3.6GHz get bottlenecked somthing rotten in games like GTA4). I wouldn't recommend downgrading to the X3-710; its slower per core and lacks hassle-free overclocking via abusable unlocked multiplier.

HDD is nice but if you can get comparable Samsung or Hitachi drives at similar price or cheaper then fire ahead.

RAM is okay but how much are you paying? This or this is probably much better value (check out the latencies on the first :)) but its a time- and stock- limited offer so you'd have to act fast - I doubt you're gonna find any better deal though!

Advertisement