Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers v Celtic - SPL decider - 12:30 Setanta

• 09-05-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Celtic captain Stephen McManus will miss Saturday's Old Firm derby at Ibrox because of a knee injury.
    The visitors are also without suspended midfielder Scott Brown but Barry Robson has returned to training after a lengthy lay-off.

Rangers centre-back Madjid Bougherra returns after serving a ban.
    However, left-back Sasa Papac and right-back Kirk Broadfoot have not recovered from injury in time to face their rivals for the league title.

The former St Mirren defender has been suffering from a foot injury that has kept him out for two months.

Rangers midfielders Barry Ferguson and Lee McCulloch are missing through injury, while forwards Kyle Lafferty and Kenny Miller are pushing for places after appearing as substitutes against Hearts.

With McManus ruled out, Glenn Loovens is certain to partner Gary Caldwell in central defence, with Marc Crosas and Paul Hartley continuing in the heart of Celtic's midfield.

Striker Georgios Samaras returns after missing last week's game against Aberdeen with a thigh problem.

Rangers manager Walter Smith:
    "I don't think there is any getting away from the fact it's a vitally important game for both the teams if they hope to win the championship.
    "But you always have to keep in mind that you have to show respect for the games you have left as well.

"From our point of view, we would hope to take advantage of a home game in the manner that Celtic did with their two games (against us) at the end of last season.

"Celtic have won the championship for the last three years so they've not had all their players available to them all that time.

"They've managed to cover for the loss of players through injury, suspension or whatever and still go on to win a championship so they've shown that they have that capability of covering for the loss of their players.

"Scott Brown's played exceptionally well for them this year. He has been a regular in their team and they may miss him but they still have shown that they can cover for it."

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan:
    "Like every game, it has relevance; every game is a turning point. If we win, we'll have an advantage until the next game. Likewise for Rangers until their next game.

"I wouldn't think my team will surprise you - but I can't speak for Walter Smith.

"It's all about the players, really, which it has been for the last 100 years. Good players win games.

"A good player won the game at Ibrox last time with a cracking goal from Scott McDonald. And Pedro Mendes scored a cracking goal earlier in the season which won the game for them.

"Glenn Loovens has been a top, top player for us - a fantastic signing. It's just unfortunate that he is against one of Scotland's best players this year, Gary Caldwell, and the Scotland and Celtic captain in Stephen McManus."

Rangers (from): Alexander, Dailly, McCulloch, Weir, Whittaker, Davis, Mendes, Edu, S Smith, Lafferty, Boyd, Velicka, Miller, McGregor, Novo, Little, Wylde, Bougherra.
    Celtic (from): Boruc, Hinkel, Loovens, Caldwell, Naylor, Nakamura, Hartley, Crosas, Robson, Samaras, McGeady, Vennegoor of Hesselink, McDonald, Mark Brown, O'Dea, Flood, McCourt, Ferry.

This season: Celtic 2-4 Rangers, Rangers 0-1 Celtic, Celtic 0-0 Rangers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Not really a decider in the sense that the trophy is not awarded today. Plenty more banana skins left.

Dreadful day for football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dreadful day for football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Rangers:

Boyd

Miller
    Smith
    Edu
    Mendes --- Davis ----
    Whittaker ---- Weir --- Bougherra ---- Daily
    Alexander

Substitutes
    McGregor, Novo, McCulloch, Lafferty, Velicka, Fleck, Wilson

Celtic:

Vennegoor
    McDonald
    Maloney --- Hartley --- Crosas --- Nakamura
    O'Dea ---- Loovens --- Caldwell
    Hinkel
    Boruc

Substitutes
    M.Brown, Naylor, Samaras, Misun, Flood, Robson, McGeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Walter Smith has taken charge of a Rangers team against Celtic on 44 occasions, winning 23 times, drawing 10 and losing 11 :eek:

71837637.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

any stream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

1-1 me thinks but i wont complain if Celtic wins anyway

No McGeady ?

Whats up with that.

Fergie and Souness are in the stands.

• Advertisement

1 - 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

totally against the run of play.

to be honest i didnt expect GS to start with shaun or crosas, neither are playing too well either. good shout for a penalty with whittaker on mcdonald. not going to complain yet though, i really we're in with a good shout here. a lot of passion as we expect but i feel celtic are trying the harder to play a bit of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

redout wrote: »
    1 - 0

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

i think its time mcgeady was put on..nakamura hasnt put in a good free kick yet

off the line.how close was that from venegoor

demakinz wrote: »
    off the line.how close was that from venegoor

I hope its not gonna be one of those days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Not really bothered to be 1-0 down for some reason. I'll get worried after about 70 minutes.

That's the best I've seen Hartley this season. For once Strachan has him playing alongside his partner rather than behind him and Crosas' positional sense is brilliant so they're not playing too deep. Crosas has been poor though. Naka has been decent. 3 brilliant sliding tackles and heaviliy involved in Celtic's possession. Maloney hasn't been great though.

Caldwell and Loovens have played very well I thought. Without McManus it allows Caldwell to lead the line.

Anyway, there's a lot more football being played than usual in a Walter Smith Old Firm derby so that's good. Hopefully they do the usual and sit back now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd make a couple of early-ish 2nd half subs. McGeady on for Maloney, Hartley off for Robson, just because of the yellow card, otherwise it would be Crosas who I think has been poor.

Naka playing better than I've seen him play away against Rangers.

Need to step up a gear for the 2nd half. Some good possession first half, and Celtic had started to get more into it when the goal came. Need to create more chances from the possession though.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I'd make a couple of early-ish 2nd half subs. McGeady on for Maloney, Hartley off for Robson, just because of the yellow card, otherwise it would be Crosas who I think has been poor.

Naka playing better than I've seen him play away against Rangers.

Need to step up a gear for the 2nd half. Some good possession first half, and Celtic had started to get more into it when the goal came. Need to create more chances from the possession though.

while i am a bit more worried than eirebhoy i'd leave the subs till the 60th minute though as eirebhoy says celtic did get into the game the longer it went on and the goal was against the run of play

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Not really bothered to be 1-0 down for some reason.

Should be bothered as it could be one of those games

• Advertisement

mcgeady warming up.nearly time to bring him on as celtic have all the ball

phew! could have been 2 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

draffodx wrote: »
    phew! could have been 2 down

brilliant save......why couldnt he have done more of that thoughout the season :rolleyes:

getting a bit worried now, lots of possesin with no real threat :(

God naka's crossing has been woefull....id bring him off and get robson on instead.

in my opinion its one of the best performances we've had in ibrox in a while.
    but for all the possesion we havent created many ,if any, real chances.
    sight of kenny mc dowell on the rangers bench makes me sick.

big miss by aiden
    celtic dominating but the score board is all that matters

doesn't look likely that celtic are gonna get the equaliser

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Nah, can't see us getting anything from this game. Now we just pray they drop points in one of the last 3 games, and that we don't. Big ask tbh, can't see it.

League done and dusted imo.

• Advertisement

Nah, can't see us getting anything from this game. Now we just pray they drop points in one of the last 3 games, and that we don't. Big ask tbh, can't see it.

League done and dusted imo.

agreed, a shame to see such a negative display win a game 70% possession to celtic throughout the second half

absolutely sick watching the end of this, celtic were by far the better team, but the 3 points are rangers and it's advantage blue in the title run

draffodx wrote: »
    agreed, a shame to see such a negative display win a game 70% possession to celtic throughout the second half

Well tbh, call it negative or whatever, but despite all the possession, Celtic are toothless up front. Rangers scored, hit the post and had a strike brilliantly saved by Boruc.

Celtic hardly had a shot. They deserve the win imo.

If we get a draw out of this it'll be pure luck. Strachan showed he doesnt really know much about tactics here......bringing off a striker for another when chasing the game to win the league just doesnt make sense. Samaras is one of the worst forwards ever to play in the jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

sick as a Korean terrier!

:mad::mad:

Playing Maloney instead of McGeady considering Maloney has hardly played at all this season WTF?

C'mon Hibs!

• Advertisement

Well tbh, call it negative or whatever, but despite all the possession, Celtic are toothless up front. Rangers scored, hit the post and had a strike brilliantly saved by Boruc.

Celtic hardly had a shot. They deserve the win imo.

very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Great result! Well done Rangers.

Advertisement