Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Telescopic Ladder - High Enough?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭

Hey,

would this ladder do me to reach the gutters of a standard semi-detached house? It is 3.2m, would I need more like 4m??

Thanks,

Branners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nusername

no way is it high enough, you need almost double that, get a window cleaner to clean your gutters, cheaper & safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I got a similiar ladder in lidl i think that's around the same length and it's not high enough to do the gutters, you'd need over 4 meter ladder to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭branners69

Cheers for the replies!

I got a quote of €150 to have the gutters cleaned, I could buy a ladder for that!

I am looking for a ladder which is high enough for the gutters but small enough to store in a shed!

Will keep looking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

branners69 wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies!

I got a quote of €150 to have the gutters cleaned, I could buy a ladder for that!

I am looking for a ladder which is high enough for the gutters but small enough to store in a shed!

Will keep looking...

rent a ladder man. Any hire shop will have them.

I have one of those ladders. It was a present from me Mother.

Its handy for the back of the van but will not reach the upstair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nusername

Cheers for the replies!

Will keep looking...
    That's a ridiculous quote, shoot me a pm if your in dublin & i'll give you a more realistic quote. I don't think there is too many ladders about that will go that high & fit in your shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Cheers for the replies!

I'd imagine u could nearly buy new guttering for that price never mind the ladder :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Cheers for the replies!

Will keep looking...

Here in Waterford there only charging €50 and I thought that was dear:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You can buy a 3 way telescopic ladder that will be high enough to do the gutters but will fold down small enough to fit in most sheds. I've seen them in some of the larger DIY stores and in my local Homevalue hardware store.

I've used a 4 metre ladder to do the gutters in my previous house, and it was precarious to say the least as I was balancing on the 3rd to last rung and holding onto open windows/vents with my free hand for "safety". I wouldn't recommend it though. For safety's sake, its better if the ladder extends at least a couple of feet above the gutters so you can hold onto the ladder while cleaning the gutters. The ladder should be well anchored on the ground as well.

I now have a bungalow so its not a problem any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

There's been a lot of flyers in lately (Meath) from window cleaners offering to clean gutters for €15 - don't know where they're getting €150 from :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭branners69

bladespin wrote: »
    There's been a lot of flyers in lately (Meath) from window cleaners offering to clean gutters for €15 - don't know where they're getting €150 from :confused:

I must be asking the wrong people because I also want the outside of the house painted. Its only a standard 3 bed but the quote I got was twice what I was expecting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Fully agree with Prosperous Dave, a short ladder is downright dangerous.

Health and Safety Rules are the ladder must be secured top and bottom and extend one metre over the gutter.

Re: Leaflets and €15.00 :eek:

Please listen to the radio, read the newspapers, watch crime line, You are giving all around access to your home to a total stranger for less money than you would have to pay the neighbours teenage son for holding the ladder while you DIY.

You expect a person with transport, tools and insurance to arrive at your home and work for €15.00 ????

Its 2009 recession or not do you really expect people to work for less than Food ?

Advertisement