Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling with jackie skellys

Options
  • 09-05-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

read a lot of the previuos threads on this and basically im confused as hell.

i just want to cancel my contract with them as i never go to the gym but i cant afford it anymore. im guessing they are a shower of cnuts to deal with so just want some advice before i go about this.

if i just cancel the dd will that work alongside a cancellation letter? ive read also about the ddplus thing... could someone advise on that?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A contract is a legally binding document, so it all depends on what is written in the contract.

When did you sign the contract and what does it say about cancellation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

dont have it on me here.... gonna have to have a look for it.

ive read a lot of people have had problems with this crowd? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The people who have trouble are usually those who leave a contract while it is still in effect. Jackie Skelly's may not deal with such situations in the best manner, but they are the ones stung by people leaving a contract early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If your contract is over and you're on a month to month basis, be sure to send in your cancellation notice by registered post.
    What I've learned from a similar globogym chain and threads here is telling someone verbally of your cancellation notice is a waste of time.

They'll continue to charge you and deny they ever spoke to you. :mad:

But if you under a contract OP you can hardly complain if they refuse to let you break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

im not really looking to break it though i signed up on some special offer there in october i think..

so im guess if i want to cancel ill have to send in my cancellation around august?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You can probably cancel now, but there will likely be an early-exit penalty clause, and it could potentially end up costing as much as holding onto the membership for the remainder of your 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

the king93.... nice work

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the king93 wrote: »
    Its very straight forward to sort out. My parents and friends had a very frustrating experience cancelling membership with Jackie Skelly but i used the following steps and they backed off very easily. Your contract with them states that you must give 2 months notice in advance of cancellation. Simply instruct your bank to cancel the associated direct debit immediately and compose a cancellation letter to jackie Skelly that is backdated by 2 months ie date it 9th Mar 2009. They will contact you when the dirct debit doesnt hit their account, at that stage tell them you sent them a letter 2 months ago. Fax them the letter and that will be the last you hear from them. If they get snotty with you just blame their admin staff for losing the original cancellation letter (even though you never sent it:o)

If it was the other way around and you paid up front but they cancelled your membership after 6 months then told you to **** off , your not getting any money back, I assume youd be fine with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Im at a loss here wtf do people join gyms and then cancel half way through knowing damn well you signed a contract for 12 months. Then come on here and read horror stories like others who did the same and wonder why the gym are being stubborn about it. Simple fact DONT sign a 12 month contract if you are not going to follow it through and then complain half way through it that the gym wont let you out of it without paying the remainder. Read the bloody contract also before you sign it.If it was my gym I would be telling you to fook off also. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Did you sign the contract with JS? If so, you're bound by the terms of the contract just as much as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Im at a loss here wtf do people join gyms and then cancel half way through knowing damn well you signed a contract for 12 months.

Times are tight right now. People are losing jobs, and those that are still working don't have as much disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mr E wrote: »
    Times are tight right now. People are losing jobs, and those that are still working don't have as much disposable income.

and if JS just let everyone cancel contracts when it suits them, more people will be out of jobs. The circumstances of individuals isnt really JS's concern, they have a legally binding contract, that is their sole concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Im at a loss here wtf do people join gyms and then cancel half way through knowing damn well you signed a contract for 12 months. Then come on here and read horror stories like others who did the same and wonder why the gym are being stubborn about it. Simple fact DONT sign a 12 month contract if you are not going to follow it through and then complain half way through it that the gym wont let you out of it without paying the remainder. Read the bloody contract also before you sign it.If it was my gym I would be telling you to fook off also. :rolleyes:

I agree that it is quite childish and stupid to break a contract that was signed in good faith however an explanation maybe for why people do it:

Some of it relates to the fact that people let a kind of a social pressure get to them (people in work yammering on about going to the gym e.t.c). A workmate gets Joe Soap A a few free passes, Joe Soap A thinks its great and is offered to sign up...the sale tactic of reducing the monthly free from €85 - €75 on teh spot gets the signature and Joe Soap A thinks "€75 a month does not seem so bad".

For Joe Soap A things are great at the beginning as they probably joined the gym in the summer when the evenings were long, the honeymoon period of induction and one-to-one training but like most gym goers they realize that its actually tough work!, Joe Soap A sits in work thinking up reasons to justify not to goto the gym and this is accelerated by the onset of winter..etc...yadda yadda, fast forward 6months of direct debit payments and we land at people trying to get out of contracts.

Let me just say that the above is in no way a reflection of the OP's circumstances.

My legal knowledge is not extensive but, Not being able to afford it anymore are no grounds to break a contract yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My legal knowledge is not extensive but, Not being able to afford it anymore are no grounds to break a contract yes?
    Not saying I agree with it. I'm just giving a reason why people want to cancel. Me? I'd cancel Sky before I cancel the gym. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I know this as Im experiencing it myself and with my gym membership with 2 months remaining I cancelled it before Christmas and told them I would pay them the 2 months I owe them off over the next year and they accepted this and thanked me for good faith. I didnt want to screw them even though funds are tight right now. You dont ask you dont get. You would be surprised how organisations are willing to help you out in times of need if you just go and be honest with them and talk to them.

Ireland has become a nation of dodgers as in if I say nothing and walk away they wont come after me type attitude. Rather than talk to these also human folk who run these business and try broker a deal folk would rather break contract and run for the hills.

Not saying I agree with it. I'm just giving a reason why people want to cancel. Me? I'd cancel Sky before I cancel the gym. :)

Yeah, but from the opposite side I think people need to cop on abit and realize what it actually means to sign a contract (do they not watch Judge Judy).

I dont know, all bets seem to be off at the moment, I suppose if you went into the gym, told them you were let go...what do they say?

Amen on the SKY front, the parents got rid of it and I refused to get it in the Apartment. I have 18channels and it costs me €25 per quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

the king93 wrote: »
    Its very straight forward to sort out. My parents and friends had a very frustrating experience cancelling membership with Jackie Skelly but i used the following steps and they backed off very easily. Your contract with them states that you must give 2 months notice in advance of cancellation. Simply instruct your bank to cancel the associated direct debit immediately and compose a cancellation letter to jackie Skelly that is backdated by 2 months ie date it 9th Mar 2009. They will contact you when the dirct debit doesnt hit their account, at that stage tell them you sent them a letter 2 months ago. Fax them the letter and that will be the last you hear from them. If they get snotty with you just blame their admin staff for losing the original cancellation letter (even though you never sent it:o)

How about keeping things simple and giving them two months written notice and sticking to what was agreed? At the end of the day, someone could lose their job if your solution was used. Contracts work both ways, also, as far as I know, you cannot give two months notice within the first 12 months of you becoming a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lots of complaints it seems: info
    National Consumer Agency urges members of gyms and fitness clubs to check cancellation clauses

13 May 2009

The National Consumer Agency has called on consumers who either are members of gyms or fitness clubs, or who are considering becoming members, to read the terms and conditions of the membership agreements carefully. In particular, the Agency warned consumers about checking the cancellation clauses before signing any contract.

During the first five months of 2009, the National Consumer Agency received over 220 queries on gym related issues. A significant number of these were as a result of consumers not having read or fully understood the conditions of their membership agreements.

During 2007/2008, the National Consumer Agency agreed revised terms and conditions with some of the largest leisure and fitness clubs in the country. Also following consultation with the sector’s representative bodies – ILAM and the Irish Hotels Federation, the Agency published guidelines for the sector on the drawing up of fairer and clearer contracts. These guidelines were published in tandem with a voluntary seven -point best practice code for the sector.

Commenting on the high level of enquiries, the Chief Executive of the National Consumer Agency, Ms. Ann Fitzgerald said: “It is understandable in the current recessionary climate that consumers are cutting back on discretionary spending such as gym membership. If they need to terminate their contracts they should first make sure to read the termination clauses”.

Ms. Fitzgerald emphasised how important it is for consumers to be aware thatcancelling direct debits did not mean that they have cancelled their contracts. She indicated that the supplier would be within his legal rights to follow up on non- payments until such time as the contract is properly terminated. “It is important, therefore that consumers read the cancellation clauses carefully and clarify any queries or concerns with the supplier,” Ms. Fitzgerald said.

She also urged consumers who are considering joining a leisure club or gym, to seek out the best deal by asking a few critical questions such as are ‘short term’ memberships available or is there a ‘pay per visit’ facility in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

"A significant number of these were as a result of consumers not having read or fully understood the conditions of their membership agreements."

So basically a significant number of consumers actually don't have a valid complaint.

As for deceiving Jackie Skelly's and falsely claiming you sent in a letter two months ago, surely for something as important as canceling a contract you should have sent it by registered mail. Also it's pretty dishonest.

Just pay the two months that's what you agreed to do in the first place.

Mod's, can something not be done to with people giving out advise such as above with effectively suggest carrying out a fraudulent act?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

You can't get blood from a stone.

I cancelled my DD with this crowd earlier this year and never heard anything about it. I didn't contact them at all.

Advertisement