Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intensive MMA training?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Pretty quick question here. I'd like to train in MMA regularly over the summer. I am pretty much at beginner level, although I've done a small bit before. I'm just wondering if there are any places in Dublin I could join that provide a somewhat intensive course, or the potential for very frequent training? By that I mean the ability to train several days a week. I was reading about muay thai training camps in Thailand where you can train every day for a couple of months or whatever, and I was just wondering if there was anything remotely similar here. A gym that has training every/most nights of the week for example? It doesn't have to be muay thai.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

On the northside of Dublin you have Ryano MMA in Kilbarrack, just a walk off the train station..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    On the northside of Dublin you have Ryano MMA in Kilbarrack, just a walk off the train station..

+1 for Andy's place.

OP you won't get better than Andy Ryan and if its intensity you won't - be careful what you wish for :P

Moved from SD&MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Ryano MMA sounds good alright, but I think Kilbarrack might be a bit far for me to go to with the sort of regularity I'd like, since I don't have a car. I'm in the Finglas area and the closest place seems to be "KO Martial Arts" in Glasnevin. They seem to be a bit pricier than Ryano though. Anyone know if they're any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

scoey wrote: »
    Ryano MMA sounds good alright, but I think Kilbarrack might be a bit far for me to go to with the sort of regularity I'd like, since I don't have a car. I'm in the Finglas area and the closest place seems to be "KO Martial Arts" in Glasnevin. They seem to be a bit pricier than Ryano though. Anyone know if they're any good?

Does the 17a bus not go out as far as Kilbarrack?.

I promise you won't regret making the effort to get over to Andy's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

the 17a stops about 5 mins walk from the entrance to the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Yeah the 17a goes to kilbarrack from near where I am, so I'll keep it in mind. The place seems top notch, I'd just worry about having to get the bus there and back having an effect on my motivation to keep up the kind of regular training I want to do, I'm not too fond of the idea of having to get the bus that much.. It would also add quite a bit to the monthly cost, to be honest. I might look into how long it takes to cycle there and if it can be done in any sort of reasonable amount of time(less than an hour), I'd be willing to cycle there.
    Any comments or suggestions on places a bit closer to me would be appreciated too, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Yeah the 17a goes to kilbarrack from near where I am, so I'll keep it in mind. The place seems top notch, I'd just worry about having to get the bus there and back having an effect on my motivation to keep up the kind of regular training I want to do, I'm not too fond of the idea of having to get the bus that much.. It would also add quite a bit to the monthly cost, to be honest. I might look into how long it takes to cycle there and if it can be done in any sort of reasonable amount of time(less than an hour), I'd be willing to cycle there.
    Any comments or suggestions on places a bit closer to me would be appreciated too, thanks.

Id love to only have to get one bus there....i train there every mon, tues, weds, thurs nights and friday and sat mornings(when im not injured of course) and i have to get a bus to a dart station and get the dart up to howth junction/donaghmede station, then walk up to the gym(which is further than the bus stop leaves you from the gym,neither is more than 7mins walk though) so if i was you id deffo jump on the bus and get down to train...great classes 6 days a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Its better than having to go to Thailand :p

Whats your location BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Id love to only have to get one bus there....i train there every mon, tues, weds, thurs nights and friday and sat mornings(when im not injured of course) and i have to get a bus to a dart station and get the dart up to howth junction/donaghmede station, then walk up to the gym(which is further than the bus stop leaves you from the gym,neither is more than 7mins walk though) so if i was you id deffo jump on the bus and get down to train...great classes 6 days a week...
    Sounds like buying a cheap car would be more economical than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Even a pushbike sounds like less hassle then that ordeal, talk about committed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Advertisement