Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwarping warped doors

Options
  • 09-05-2009 1:11pm

Built a house a couple of years ago, almost all the snagging doen now except for the internal pine doors.

When I fitted them the house was still a bit cool (at the limit of the manufacturers recommentations) therefore some of the doors warped slightly, about 5mm or so, enough to notice when you shut them.

I have adjusted a couple of the door beads so they will allow a couple of doors to shut properly but there a couple of others that have warped a bit more and can't hide these.

Is there any simple way of unwarping doors?

They have the slide type hinges, so are easy to remove to work on elswhere.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Can't be done AFAIK. With some hardwood doors, taking them down and lying them flat with weights on the warped area for a few days can take the bend out of them, but with pine I'd say the amount of warp would be greater and the softer wood would be tougher to get back in shape.
    It's not just temperature which causes warping, it's more about the moisture levels in the work area...kiln dried pine is like a sponge...put it in a dampish cold place without properly sealing it and it soaks up the moisture and then dries unevenly causing the warp.
    Either replace or get creative with your doorstops and an electric planer. Some chippy might know a good trick for hiding this problem but as a a painter 99% of the time I see the door replaced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

you could try clamping the door down to a bench and leave it for a few days but the bench needs to be spot on straight and level. theres no gaurantee it will work but it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would move the doorstop by half the amount of the warp. So if 5mm warped, the door will now close 2.5mm out of flush with the frame and there would be a small spring in it due to the warp against the doorstop. only 2.5mm of a spring due to warping would be hardly noticeable unless you are very exact. A typical housing estate house could be much worse than yours if 5mm if the worst one you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

If u think they are finished warping, perhaps consider 'profiling' the existing door stops or fit new, profiled ones to fit the warp:)

Carlow52 wrote: »
    If u think they are finished warping, perhaps consider 'profiling' the existing door stops or fit new, profiled ones to fit the warp:)

Yep! this is the current plan, had already done a couple this way will see it I can "stretch" a couple of the others, otherwise will give the clamp down trick a try!

• Advertisement
Advertisement