Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchies? Dubs? and worst of all D4's?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Another one of these ****ing threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

In before the four 'n' six :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What about furriners - do we get to be Dubs too? I'm nearly 10 years in Ireland, all but a year of that in various parts of D4, and I still find Ross O'Carroll Kelly completely incomprehensible. I've asked a few people where to buy Abercrombie & Fitch, but no-one seems to know: it just somehow materialises in the pile of clothes on the floor ... :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

El Siglo wrote: »
    I think a certain venue near Coppers which does not charge €5-€10 has grown in popularity with country people of late.

Flannerys? Thats always been a country stronghold hasnt it?

Regards the rest of your post yeah I agree. But sure, they aint doin anyone no harm. Leave em at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Dublin 4 is a state of mind and unfortunately some people livin outside of Dublin have it as well.

Have to agree that people from the country who adopt the D4 accent are not being true to themselves and have lost an important part of their identity - their heritage and roots which is unique and special to them. However, if it helps secure a job, get a place on the team or whatever the goal is then it's a sad reflection on the person IMO.

Maybe a sporting context to this may help explain the urban/rural divide. When Dublin plays in the GAA their is always great expectations reflected by the media coverage (they are the biggest county, well resourced and equipped to win the All Ireland every year). Yet country teams take great pleasure in beating Dublin....look at the Dublin Meath games. And it works both ways, the Dubs enjoy sticking it to the Mullahs just as much.

I am not trying to subvert the thread and open up an explosive debate on football, maybe trying to help understand the Dublin 4 thing better.

I better not mention the Leinster vs Munster game as another avenue to explore this difference as that will be a can of worms......

Oh yeah, abercrombie & fitch can be bought online and shipped from the US. Make sure you don't use UPS though or you will have to pay the excise duties.

Is there a Cork 4 or a Limerick 4 or galway 4 regarding the state of mind point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Flannerys? Thats always been a country stronghold hasnt it?

Regards the rest of your post yeah I agree. But sure, they aint doin anyone no harm. Leave em at it.

Yep!:D Great spot so it is, full of the DIT crowd, good people so they are, good people!
    "But sure, they aint doin anyone no harm. Leave em at it."

Like what my granny would say, "they're more afraid of you, than you are of them!";)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

finisklin wrote: »

Is there a Cork 4 or a Limerick 4 or galway 4 regarding the state of mind point?

Never heard of L4s, but C4s and G4s exist!

Why one would want to emulate D4s, I do not know, but each to their own. I have never actually heard of someone genuinely sneering at people from the country, I've heard of it as a joke but nothing more. I'd imagine that the OP is completely blowing things out of proportion.

Dublin 4 is a state of mind and unfortunately some people livin outside of Dublin have it as well.

Have to agree that people from the country who adopt the D4 accent are not being true to themselves and have lost an important part of their identity - their heritage and roots which is unique and special to them. However, if it helps secure a job, get a place on the team or whatever the goal is then it's a sad reflection on the person IMO.

What? Thats a bit extreme? If even a bit naive. People try and give themselves the advantage every day why should this way be a "sad reflection" on them?

And not being true to themselves? Again, its natural. They probabaly cant help picking up the accent. Its like when I used to spend summers in Cork when I was young. I came back all the time singing instead of speaking. Is that a sad reflection on me? Am I being untrue to myself? Have I forgotten whatever heritage or roots I have?

Its human nature to want to fit in. The fact you are saying its a sad reflection on them or whatever is just as bad as D4's looking down on the "culchies".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Fad wrote: »
    Never heard of L4s, but C4s and G4s exist!

Why one would want to emulate D4s, I do not know, but each to their own. I have never actually heard of someone genuinely sneering at people from the country, I've heard of it as a joke but nothing more. I'd imagine that the OP is completely blowing things out of proportion.

How dare you suggest that the OP is blowing things out of proportion when he's from a fine and upstanding area of the country. That is such a sneering Dublin remark to say.

You sir, should be ashamed of yourself.

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yep!:D Great spot so it is, full of the DIT crowd, good people so they are, good people!

Like what my granny would say, "they're more afraid of you, than you are of them!";)

Yeah Flannerys is good craic alright. Always packed on nights after championship games. Good buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Brimmy wrote: »
    when he's from a fine and upstanding area of the country.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What? Thats a bit extreme? If even a bit naive. People try and give themselves the advantage every day why should this way be a "sad reflection" on them?

And not being true to themselves? Again, its natural. They probabaly cant help picking up the accent. Its like when I used to spend summers in Cork when I was young. I came back all the time singing instead of speaking. Is that a sad reflection on me? Am I being untrue to myself? Have I forgotten whatever heritage or roots I have?

Its human nature to want to fit in. The fact you are saying its a sad reflection on them or whatever is just as bad as D4's looking down on the "culchies".TheresalwaysoneQuote:
    Originally Posted by finisklin viewpost.gif

Its human nature to want to fit in. The fact you are saying its a sad reflection on them or whatever is just as bad as D4's looking down on the "culchies".
    [

Fair point, however its not the one I'm making.....people who modify their accent to gain acceptance or achieve something in the belief that they would not achieve the same reult with their original/natural accent is lacking honesty with themselves.

For me identity is very important and it is something which I would be extremely reluctant to lose, inlcuding a deliberate and concerted effort to change my accent in order to fit in or accomodate a peer group that percieve's people from the country in some way as inadequate, inferior, unbecoming or whatever.

I think the point is about a falseness that is a relfection on a person's character and their approach/outlook to life. I can see how young people can pick up language mannerisms and accents etc on holidays. IMO their is a difference beween this and a twenty something deliberately modifying their accent to accomodate D4 peers to fit in and be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I'm from Dublin, my boyfriend's from Donegal. Neither of us every had a problem in either place.

"j-dawg" there is nothing more embarrassing than Irish people trying to be rappers, or emulating black american culture with names like that.

And Coppers is the most disgusting place I've ever been, full of the most disgusting people doing disgusting things. I thought it was just somewhere country people ended up because they didn't know Dublin well, wheras most Dubs have been there once and learned. I didn't know anyone was a patron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 The j-dwag!!!!!

Brimmy wrote: »
    Would you like a hug?

brimmy how am i ment to continue this attack when you go an offer such affection and completely disprove my argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 The j-dwag!!!!!

people who modify their accent to gain acceptance or achieve something in the belief that they would not achieve the same reult with their original/natural accent is lacking honesty with themselves.

For me identity is very important and it is something which I would be extremely reluctant to lose, inlcuding a deliberate and concerted effort to change my accent in order to fit in or accomodate a peer group that percieve's people from the country in some way as inadequate, inferior, unbecoming or whatever.

So true. And i will admit alot of country people do come up to Dublin and try to capture such a personality. But why the dont students attending college on the north side pick up the minging accent that they so proudly speak with over there.

I have no problem with anybody trying to speak with a sence of clarity, as i am one such individual who detests the strong "bogger" roscommon accent, and have gladly made improvements to my own, but like hell will i ever try to assume the "D4" accent to fit-in in this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Im from the north and there are always those divs that take you up on it. A friend of mine started blanking me after he found out where i came from.

But not to worry when he works in mc donalds ill tell him where he can shove his attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 freshtodeath

smk89 wrote: »
    Im from the north and there are always those divs that take you up on it. A friend of mine started blanking me after he found out where i came from.

But not to worry when he works in mc donalds ill tell him where he can shove his attitude

What's wrong with working in McDonalds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

What's wrong with working in McDonalds?

dont take it the wrong way. i got rejected for a McDonalds job last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Right, i'm from Roscommon and have lived up here in dublin for the last 5 years, and have a yet failed to understand what makes D4's and any other Dub, (scumbag or otherwise) think they are for one second allowed to look down their noses at people from the country and dare to call them boggers or culchies????.

After all, aren't they the minority?....... approx 4 million people living in this country, of which 1 million live in Dublin, and most of them are country people working up here, or students attending college, not to mention the foreign nationals.

I've recently read a thread that was in relation to copper face jacks, and one such individual had the nerve to comment that he would not go there as it was full of "culchies". Well buddy heres a little update for you, We dont want you there!!!!

I always thought "culchies" weren't allowed on the internetz?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

yep!:rolleyes: i will hesitate naming them, but i thnk its a phenomenom in every county, not just dublin! trust me, i have seen it in both cork and limerick.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

j-dawg, firstly im inclined to believe you must be troll due to your low post count i believe it is ten at the time i am writing this.
    now im gonna go with you have posted about 10 times in this thread alone.

so basically you are imo a troll.

however i will address the issue anyway!

i am a private school graduate, was on the Rugby SCT team, in UCD last while(3rd year now)

so, i supposedly am a horrible D4 and hate "culchies" as you put it...
    you couldn't be more wrong!
    I hate people like you! Some ass with a terrible chip on shoulder. You seem one of those people who hate "dubs" because we "supposedly" hate you? grow up!!!

you in particular are probably hated as you seem quite easy to dislike with that attitude.

Now there is plenty of "bogger" banter etc that i will engage in, but ill laugh just as hard at any stereotype joke, once its just that, a joke!

there are people on both sides who seem to dislike each other for no good reason, and a lot of time the reason turns out to be "cause they hate us" like fcuk we do! they hate you cause "you hate them" whatever... terrible downward spiral!

end result is this, you need to get over it, i assure you most dublin people have. We realy dont care. Exceptions to the rule and all that, but they arent half as common as you think!

Get over it, stop being an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

As someone who lives in the leafy paradise that is D4, I must ask where all the hate's coming from? (Note: I'm employing irony if you feel like foaming at the mouth about where I'm from.)

Being a cnut's not a geographical thing, it's a personality thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

Roscommon... is that like a suburb of dublin now anyway like everywhere else in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

This is funny. From someone who could be classed as D4 (on the baseless grounds that I went to a private school in Donnybrook) I actually had a think there about who my close friends are and where they are from; took me a while to even remember where some of them originally came from.

Sure, most of my school friends are from Dublin, but at this stage most close school and college friends are also friends (what can I say, I bring people together) and come from Dublin (from Killiney to Tallaght to Clontarf), Cork, Longford, Offaly, Kildare... I don't really even think about it any more. The term D4 is hilarious, again as someone pretty familiar with the post code the majority of people that seem to get classed as "D4s" live nowhere near the place. I'm not even entirely sure what I this D4 thing means? Rugby fans? Is there something wrong with that? Wealthy people? People with a certain accent? If you dislike people because of those criteria then it's a bit petty. If someone is an arsehole to you, call them an arsehole, but bandying together a generally non-existant stereotype (outside of Paul Carrols satirical fiction) is definitely on the ignorant side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

mikemac wrote: »
    And yet you use the term D4 in your title?
    It is a generalization, you combine areas such as Ringsend and Irishtown and Donnybrook as if they are all the same.
    Dublin 4 is a bigger area then you think.

Tell me about it. Campaigns been going to get those ****holes designated to Dublin 4E for years.

Anyway OP to address your point, i'm probably what you'd call a D4, wouldn't personally call myself one coz theres different levels to it but yeah abercrombie and a funny accent and holiday homes.

Anyway I think boggers are a bit of a laugh, and of COURSE they are all individuals and all that, but like d4s they have things in common, or at least things that are more likley to be true about them. For instance

1) Quinns and Coppers are the 2 easiest places to have casual sex with a stranger in ireland outside of the sex industry. This is a fact, the rate is even higher on a tuesday in quinns and the bog nights in coppers.

2) Bog people are generally more fun and 'craic' than d4s, generally less stuck up and more partial to the drink, but as a result of this a lot of them lack class. Fights are more common, don't even TRY to deny this, i've been to quinns...it's like a warzone. Also bogger girls are generally more abrasive, liek the "laddettes" from england. They are more likley to be slumped over at 3am with sick in their hair farting away etc

There are many other differences, which do make the world a richerr place, but it has to be said that sometimes you want a night where people arent still going crazy over journey songs, passing out from drink in droves and kicking the **** out of wach other and still thinking shirts with short sleeves are the new thing. Bogger nights are fun, but you have to be wasted and they are exausting, it's hard to keep up with them.

Sometimes you just wanna chat to a girl, ask her what school she went to without getting a funny look, talk about who you know in common, call the rock boys she knows a pack of ****, and talk about going to vancouver and santa barbara for the summer, then ask her to dance and score her..........u know, the simple life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭This is

i think i have to agree about "D4"
    its a state of mind and a higher plain of arrogance.

Its not really the area. IMO it is more how the core society of people that represent it have tended to come from posh southside suburbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

@ the OP

It's because we're better than you, don't get so upset about it. Your inferiority complex is well founded, you are sub-standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Snobbery is not something confined to D4. Every town in Ireland has their snob element.

I think there is a huge anti-Dublin feeling down the country. And its getting worse, bordering on racism. Yet country people have been coming to Dublin to live and work for many many years and have been accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Snobbery is not something confined to D4. Every town in Ireland has their snob element.

I think there is a huge anti-Dublin feeling down the country And its getting worse, bordering on racism.

Stall the ball there. Us dubs are a separate race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I really, really hate when people don't understand what Racism is :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement