Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou McDonald: the most annoying person in Irish politics

Options
  • 09-05-2009 2:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Just listening to her on Rodney Rice's Saturday View of RTÉ Radio 1 and she must wake up on the wrong side of the bed every morning. The woman would fight with her own shadow.

She and Sinn Féin are fundamentally wrong in their opposition to the Lisbon Treaty - or to be more precise in their alliance with the "British Isles" school of British eurosceptics. It's a terrifying alliance. McDonald was sitting there defending the indefensible for any Irish republican.

And as usual she was playing the victim. She and Sinn Féin clearly think they are smart and, moreover, that we all read British tabloids that are hostile to the EU. From the time she opens her mouth she insults our intelligence. Her discussions are much more about herself, her fighting skills, her performance, than they are about her ideas. When she is challenged about her ideas she erupts into another ad hominem and tries again to digress into a non sequitur - followed by something like "Please, don't interrupt me, I let you have your time [which she didn't]".

Oddly enough, she strikes me as being a female version of Jeffrey Donaldson: smug, sanctimonious, populist (in a weird sense), and a complete bully at heart.

* I wont even get into her ridiculous pie-in-the-sky ideas about the Irish economy; she has all the answers and everybody else is wrong. She has no grace, no generosity and no sense of fair play. If she ever did get into power she would be the greatest hypocrite of all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Yeah she was painful to listen to. I can't believe she's only attended 65% of debates in the parliament. The other 3 have attended loads more with Gay Mitchell on 92% if I recall. These elections are pretty important if we're to make up with the EU and electing the right people is paramount. I say don't vote Mary Lou McDonald. I think I'd rather have Eoin Ryan!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

dave-higgz wrote: »
    Yeah she was painful to listen to. I can't believe she's only attended 65% of debates in the parliament. The other 3 have attended loads more with Gay Mitchell on 92% if I recall. These elections are pretty important if we're to make up with the EU and electing the right people is paramount. I say don't vote Mary Lou McDonald. I think I'd rather have Eoin Ryan!!!

Yeah, and did you hear the way she tried to "defend" her attendance record? Pathetic. Gay Mitchell was well able for her, and I really appreciated Eoin Ryan getting thick with her and pointing out that Sinn Féin in government in the North is only giving unemployment benefit that is half the amount of what Fianna Fáil is giving in the Republic. He definitely won that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I actually always agreed with her and I understand her stance perfect on europe, although she wont be getting my vote. It makes sense when you think of it. The further Ireland gets into europe the far less the possibility of a united Ireland this is her goal, to prevent this

But surly this thread should be in afterhours cause its more of a rant about the posters feelings on mary lou than political discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

can't wait till the shinners call to my door canvasing so i can tell them to get the F%$@ right off my property

villager wrote: »
    can't wait till the shinners call to my door canvasing so i can tell them to get the F%$@ right off my property

Like I said after hours :rolleyes::rolleyes: look on the bright side at least Fianna Fail wont be alone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Like I said after hours :rolleyes::rolleyes: look on the bright side at least Fianna Fail wont be alone

+1.

The OP has just done what they've accused Mary Lou of doing - ranting & talking sh*t.

Plus the moment I hear/read "Shinner's" from someone I immediately go into 'ignore all muppet comments from here on' mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Leaving aside her views on Europe, I remember her defending Sinn Fein's commemoration of Sean Russell...the fellow-traveller of the Nazis, he of the headless statue in Fairview
    In a radio discussion I heard she actually claimed that he couldn't have known about the bad things the Nazis were doing. This was in 1940: post 1.Krystallanacht ; 2.The Nuremberg Laws;3.the burning of the books;4.The German intervention on Franco's side in the Spanish civil war;4.Austria,Czechoslovakia,Poland,Denmark, Norway etc etc. Either she believed Russell was living in a cave since 1933, she was displaying an ignorance amazing in an educated person,or she was giving the usual waffle to cloud the truth, retailing the Shinner line. Either way, it was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I heard the interview as well. I think she is a clever speaker, but she's always ducking and diving, making excuses.

On a side issue, Gay Mitchell had a right go at Rodney and RTE. This a few weeks after he had a right go at Mary Wilson as well. He seems to have a real issue with RTE's reporting on the Dáil, and the way they question the TDs salaries/benefits/expenses while not necessarily receiving the same scrutiny of their own salaries. Gay does seem like an ethical, decent guy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

She is a very clever speaker, but not in a good way.
    Every time she opens her mouth she lies or evades or obfuscates.
    I hope that this time out people see through her and the rest of her ilk.

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Leaving aside her views on Europe, I remember her defending Sinn Fein's commemoration of Sean Russell...the fellow-traveller of the Nazis, he of the headless statue in Fairview
    In a radio discussion I heard she actually claimed that he couldn't have known about the bad things the Nazis were doing. This was in 1940: post 1.Krystallanacht ; 2.The Nuremberg Laws;3.the burning of the books;4.The German intervention on Franco's side in the Spanish civil war;4.Austria,Czechoslovakia,Poland,Denmark, Norway etc etc. Either she believed Russell was living in a cave since 1933, she was displaying an ignorance amazing in an educated person,or she was giving the usual waffle to cloud the truth, retailing the Shinner line. Either way, it was disgusting.
    I heard the interview as well. I think she is a clever speaker, but she's always ducking and diving, making excuses.

On a side issue, Gay Mitchell had a right go at Rodney and RTE. This a few weeks after he had a right go at Mary Wilson as well. He seems to have a real issue with RTE's reporting on the Dáil, and the way they question the TDs salaries/benefits/expenses while not necessarily receiving the same scrutiny of their own salaries. Gay does seem like an ethical, decent guy though.

I to saw the interview but I waited to see how many stupid comments came abord before I answered and not many thank god. Sean Russel died in 1940. One year into the ware just after the time develara had a final meeting with hitler So what really if she did not no to much about him. FG were linked to the blueshirts so lets sum it up, who in irish politics of the time was not anti british!

Its amazing to think if mary lou start to sit down and spout 1916 politics you would all switch off and say "Not this again" but you feel its something you can beat her with.

Political threads are getting more boreing and I am contributing far less discussion because as I said I wont be voting for her but what the hell has this thread got to do with politics!

Oh guess what David norris is gay! Dident you know!

Gossip has more advantages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HarryL

Were we listening to the same programme? I thought three ganging up on one was very suspicious! There will only be three seats instead of four....looked like the boys had decided beforehand to cut her out!!

Did you not think the "lads" were hypocritical going on about her attendance in the parliament...have you never looked at the live broadcasts from Dail Eireann? Usually there's one TD talking to one or maybe two others and the rest of the chamber is empty...and don't they get an allowance for attending? By contrast the House of Commons is always packed. I never understand how the Irish people accept this.

I thought Eoin Ryan as a member of FF got off really lightly...by deflecting the agro onto the lady.
    Mary Lou is entitled to express her opinions without subjection to such vitriol. I thought she was quite dignified in her responses.
    She made good points re child benefit and cutbacks in education.
    I thought Rodney could have done better and not allowed such an unbalanced attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

did nobody think the interview seemed like the others were ganging up on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

I don't know what people were listening to because I thought she came out well.

She was the only one who respected the fact that the majority of the electorate voteed against Lisbon. The others just ignored our opnion. She spoke about a social europe and not just a free market europe.

I thought the others offered very little except a tirade about SF being anti-europe.

Also what is De Rossa hiding on expenses? He seemed unhappy about that being raised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

As a "Shinner"voter/Fenian/Follower of the Dark One for 20 years I've never been happy with the anti-Europe stance meself.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Nodin wrote: »
    I've never been happy with the anti-Europe stance meself.......
    I agree. But similarly, I don't like the idea of the EU expanding ad infinitum and the prospect of Turkey's entrance specifically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

IIMII wrote: »
    I agree. But similarly, I don't like the idea of the EU expanding ad infinitum and the prospect of Turkey's entrance specifically

I've nothing against its expansion, and should Turkey get its act together (unlikely to occur in the 25 years or so of life I may have left), I've no objection to them in either. I do have quibbles with certain elements of the EU of course, but overall I've seen nothing in it ideologically which would make me reject it. My main dissapointment is that (naively perhaps) I always thought we'd end up with a more European styled society and economy - like France or Germany - and that hasn't happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

How foolish are those MLM critics! This is rich coming from the supporters of the lousiest government in Europe and the worst we have ever had since the dawn of the Republic.

Get real for a change! What do you think MacDonald will do next, come roaring down O'Connell Street with two six shooters?

The same commentary can be reserved for critics of George Lee!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I don't know what people were listening to because I thought she came out well.

She was the only one who respected the fact that the majority of the electorate voteed against Lisbon. The others just ignored our opnion. She spoke about a social europe and not just a free market europe.

I thought the others offered very little except a tirade about SF being anti-europe.

Also what is De Rossa hiding on expenses? He seemed unhappy about that being raised

Given he's one of only a handful of MEPs who publish their expenses online, the answer is probably "less than some people".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

ilkhanid wrote: »

Then again, are you in favour of the destruction of the remaining monuments in Ireland to British imperialist lords who subjugated countless people across the world? Indeed, should we destroy the "Traitors' Gate" ( http://www.webeireann.com/archiseek/1.jpg ) on Dublin's Stephen's Green which, as it says clearly on it, is a monument to all those Irish-born British soldiers who died for the British Empire in South Africa while that state was killings tens of thousands of women and children in the concentration camps there?

Or, for you, is it simply a case of "My favourite tyrants, right or wrong"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I do find Mary Lou small but sexy.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    My main dissapointment is that (naively perhaps) I always thought we'd end up with a more European styled society and economy - like France or Germany - and that hasn't happened.

I couldn't agree more with you, Nodin. Culturally and psychologically this country has still far too many Marian Finucanes obsessed with what is happening in Britain, and far too few John McGaherns who are open to the world beyond Britain (or is it England?).
    There must be other Irish people who see Europe as a stepping stone to freedom for Ireland rather than the threat which McDonald and company perceive it to be. I was most impressed with Michael Lillis's eloquent letter to the Irish Times on 14 August 2008: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2008/0814/1218477548133.html

He spoke for an awful lot of people. The feedback in the paper on that letter was excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mary Lou consistently finds herself in a position where the media gang up on her; But as always - She handles herself very well. Then again, as a Shinner - I'm obviously going to be biased.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

McDonald only has lower expenses because she does less work. She only attends 75% of the meetings she's supposed to. Of course if she doesn't spend as much time in Brussels, she'll have less expenses but I'd rather an MEP actually DO the work they're elected to do.

The day of the interview, there was actually a plenary session in Brussels! But her priority was to be over in Dublin, on the radio, trying to score brownie points out of a non-issue. Great work there, Mary Lou.

IIMII wrote: »

I agree with that also. I particularly don't accept the idea of Turkey getting in the door while it continues to occupy Cyprus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Agreed RH. LOL @ Turkey getting access to the EU when it illegally occupies a member state of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

Hello marylou,goodbye fianna FAIL;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya they were ganging up on her, the presenter didnt seem to care. But, it seems to have brought out a few interesting things that may not have been known otherwise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dlofnep wrote: »
    Mary Lou consistently finds herself in a position where the media gang up on her; But as always - She handles herself very well. Then again, as a Shinner - I'm obviously going to be biased.

Im no shinner fan, but thats spot on (the defending part). I dont think shes ganged up on that much, she was yesterday, but she handles it very well. It still doesnt hide from the facts they stated tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It still doesnt hide from the facts they stated tho
    Well what would you expect from a graduate of the Gerry Adams school of not answering questions?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Well what would you expect from a graduate of the Gerry Adams school of not answering questions?

Thats a very poor answer and just confirms the ranks of this thread. I done with it I shall leave it to the trolls,

Advertisement