Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charge for taking car away?

• 09-05-2009 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Is there a charge for removing cars from house for parts/scrappage? Have a car I want to be rid of and curious to know - few places I've found online are closed now and can't contact.

Anyone know a good place in north dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

whats up with car. Looking for something to make a hotrod out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Contact the local dealer or look up your local breakers yard. The dealer is obliged to take it for free afaik.

I'm sure if the car caould be worth a few pound for the break he'll come along and collect it no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Local breakers should take it for free. I have two to get rid of myself - I send them to Summerhill Spares, he comes and takes them away usually the same day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ill give ya a few pound and pick it up off ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

macroman wrote: »
    Local breakers should take it for free. I have two to get rid of myself - I send them to Summerhill Spares, he comes and takes them away usually the same day :)

A lot of the breakers yards are full right now and not taking vehicles in. Must be something to do with the NCT crackdown. I had to ring around a few of the authorised ELV disposal yards to find one that would agree to take mine, if it came to it. Eventually sold it for parts instead.

Just for further information for anyone interested - each local authority is obliged to take in ELV's for free through authorised breakers yards. So long as they are fully intact, if not then a charge may apply. Most local authorities will also provide a collection service for ELV's so that's a possibility if the car is not driveable, but that would of course be at cost, typically €150 afaik.

Be careful to dispose of the car to someone authorised to produce a certificate of destruction in order to formally declare it's destruction to the authorities. If, on the other hand, selling to someone for parts, make sure the registered ownership is transferred promptly to them by the usual means of ownership transfer, so that the obilgation falls on them to eventually dispose of the remains of the car in the proper way and so that any penalties for failure to do so falls on them not you - the last thing you want is a summons due to it being discovered dumped somewhere and last registered ownership in your name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Having an interest in finding this, I did some searching, and found, by way of South Dublin Co. Co.'s A-Z of services, the following page...

End of Life Vehicles

I presume other Councils will have their own page with similar info for their respective areas.

Here's the text...

End of Life Vehicles

The Waste Management (End of Life Vehicles) Regulations were introduced in Ireland in 2006. These regulations ensure that when a car is scrapped, as much material as possible is recovered and recycled. This takes place in a way that does not harm the environment

What is an End of Life Vehicle?

Typically, an end-of-life vehicle will be an intact passenger car or a light commercial van that the registered owner wishes to dispose of as waste.

Producer Responsibility

The Regulations require producers (i.e. importers and manufacturers of vehicles) to nominate free take-back centres to be known as Authorised Treatment Facilities (ATF) where the public can bring an end-of-life vehicle for final treatment. The public will be obliged to use these centres to dispose of the vehicles. The vehicles will be dismantled to environmental standards, and the steel, plastic, glass, tyres etc. will be recovered for recycling.

Certificates of Destruction

From the 1st January 2007 onwards owners and operators of ATF’s must issue a certificate of destruction to the registered owner of the ELV.

ELV’s in South Dublin County

If you have an ELV that you need to dispose of, please contact the car manufacturer to find out the location of their designated ATF. South Dublin County Council will also collect the car for a fee, please click here for further information.

Further information on these regulations is available from our Environmental Enforcement Section
    on (01) 4149000 .

End of Life Vehicles – Authorized Treatment Facilities In South Dublin

1. WPR 019

Duffy Brothers
    Longmile Road
    Walkinstown
    Dublin 12
    01-4604655

2. WPR 006/2

Westlink Recovery Services Ltd
    Red Cow
    Naas Road
    Dublin 22
    01-4641413

3. WPR 010

Greenhills Motor Spares
    Greenhills Road
    Tallaght
    Dublin 24
    01-4500003

4. WPR 012

Cullen Car Parts
    Greenhills Road
    Tallaght
    Dublin 24
    01-4500172

5. WPR 086

Motor Rescue Ltd
    Knockmitten Lane
    Western Industrial Estate
    01-4298482

If dropping off the ELV yourself please ensure that you get a certificate of destruction, or if you are having it collected please be sure that the haulier has a valid waste collection permit that allows them to collect ELVs.

If you are aware of any rogue traders please report them to the waste enforcement section in South Dublin County Council at 01-4149000.

Hope this helps some others

Damo

Advertisement