Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points for no seatbelt!

• 09-05-2009 3:01pm

Hey,

got pulled yesterday for having no seatbelt on (no excuse) about 100 yards from my house (of all places) by a béangarda who was actually sound about it believe it or not!!! :eek: Anyway she took my licence into the branch car and literally 10 seconds later she arrives back saying "you'll get a ticket in the post". No mention of a fine or penalty points and i wasn't going asking her anything! I'm expecting a fine but unsure about the points. I'm only 20 and already have 2 so 2 more could be a real kick in the b**lix! And also the address on my licence is my home address but the car is registered to my bro's house. :confused::confused: She never spotted that my tax was up too so maybe i should be greatful......HAHA, ya right!!

Any chance i can avoid these penalty points?

CHEERS!

P.S. This isin't the Jerry Springer show so don't start criticising what I did or how I want to avoid it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

shaaane wrote: »
    Hey,

got pulled yesterday for having no seatbelt on (no excuse) about 100 yards from my house (of all places) by a béangarda who was actually sound about it believe it or not!!! :eek: Anyway she took my licence into the branch car and literally 10 seconds later she arrives back saying "you'll get a ticket in the post". No mention of a fine or penalty points and i wasn't going asking her anything! I'm expecting a fine but unsure about the points. I'm only 20 and already have 2 so 2 more could be a real kick in the b**lix! And also the address on my licence is my home address but the car is registered to my bro's house. :confused::confused: She never spotted that my tax was up too so maybe i should be greatful......HAHA, ya right!!

CHEERS!

Not really, your driver number on the licence is unique to you regardless of who the car is registered to. It can take a while for points to be endorsed so you might get away with another years insurance premium based on 2 points.

had a feeling about that alright, luckily enough my insurace is up for renewal on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Hey,

CHEERS!

2 points. TBH I wouldn't give anyone any advise about how to avoid penalty points for no setbelt. Don't know how people still drive without one. Not sure about the fine.

And get that tax sorted before you get in any more bother! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

had a feeling about that alright, luckily enough my insurace is up for renewal on monday.

Well you'll be ok this time round, 2 points won't effect it but 4 will unfortunately

Well you'll be ok this time round, 2 points won't effect it but 4 will unfortunately

The first 2 should be off my licence in 2010 just before my renewal anyway...good timing!

• Advertisement

2 points. TBH I wouldn't give anyone any advise about how to avoid penalty points for no setbelt. Don't know how people still drive without one. Not sure about the fine.

And get that tax sorted before you get in any more bother! :D

Will be sorting the tax on monday along wit the insurance, so there'll be a nice dent in the bank account next week!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sorry to rain on your parade but you are obliged to disclose pending convictions & penalty points to your insurers ar renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

oldyouth wrote: »
    Sorry to rain on your parade but you are obliged to disclose pending convictions & penalty points to your insurers ar renewal

Whoops!

I'm obliged to do alot of the things, and that ain't gonna be 1 of em! Besides, I haven't been issued the points... very well written comment too, are u a gaurd ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hey,

CHEERS!

No, and bearing in mind 20 people died in 07 not wearing a belt, this offence should realistically carry 5 or 6 points, at least, imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Will be sorting the tax on monday along wit the insurance, so there'll be a nice dent in the bank account next week!!! :mad:

So your not insured to drive either ??

So your not insured to drive either ??

Of couse i am, its just up for renewal monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm obliged to do alot of the things, and that ain't gonna be 1 of em! Besides, I haven't been issued the points... very well written comment too, are u a gaurd ya?
    Nope not a Garda, just someone who has seen & heard all the cunning plans (as Baldrick would say) from lads who know best and won't heed good advice.
    Give it a go by all means

Nope not a Garda, just someone who has seen & heard all the cunning plans (as Baldrick would say) from lads who know best and won't heed good advice.
    Give it a go by all means

Don't mind if I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Come on!! What if the garda doesn't pursue it?? I mean what do you say "I might have points on the way not sure if the camera flashed me or not"

A few years ago I was caught speeding and I was told they'd be something in the post. Never heard a thing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

On the bright site , it's more fun that picket your teeth out of the steering wheel or cleaning all that blood from your front window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Don't mind if I do!

FYI

Before applying for cover please note that failure to disclose all material information, i.e. information which is likely to influence the acceptance of the risk and the terms applied could invalidate the Insurance (including disclosure of all claims, convictions, disqualification+s, endorsements or pending prosecutions or any other matter materially affecting insurers assessment of the risk, and to you providing QuoteLine with accurate and complete information).

Quoteline.ie T+Cs

Effectively you could be driving without insurance.... not very cunning.

tricky D wrote: »
    FYI

Before applying for cover please note that failure to disclose all material information, i.e. information which is likely to influence the acceptance of the risk and the terms applied could invalidate the Insurance (including disclosure of all claims, convictions, disqualification+s, endorsements or pending prosecutions or any other matter materially affecting insurers assessment of the risk, and to you providing QuoteLine with accurate and complete information).

Quoteline.ie T+Cs

Effectively you could be driving without insurance.... not very cunning.

Tell that to every other person in the country who has more than 2 points. Unfortunately its a risk that alot of people have to take! Insurance is steep enough as it is for someone my age, no point on forkin out more un-necessary cash.

Whats the big deal he's not hiding anything from them?

I mean by all means tell your insurance company if you get the 2 points but until then you don't have them on your driving record. sure the garda mightn't even pursue it.

What the big deal he's not hiding anything from them?

I mean by all means tell your insurance company if you get the 2 points but until then you don't have them on your driving record. sure the garda mightn't even pursue it.

Fingers crossed she doesn't!! Sound for the positive reply too lad! :D

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed she doesn't!! Sound for the positive reply too lad! :D

No probs. Your new here and as you've witnessed first hand there's ALOT of high horses about.

Sure if you even mention you went 1k over the speed limit your treated with the same contempt as a kitten rapist! :p

Tell that to every other person in the country who has more than 2 points. Unfortunately its a risk that alot of people have to take! Insurance is steep enough as it is for someone my age, no point on forkin out more un-necessary cash.

Their justification for high rates for your age group is that your group take stupid risks. Looks like you've proved them right.

Their justification for high rates for your age group is that your group take stupid risks. Looks like you've proved them right.

And what age category do u fall into??

And what age category do u fall into??

The one that's smart enough to put on a safety belt.

The one that's smart enough to put on a safety belt.

And how does my mistake have such an impact on your life?? I know i was in the wrong. You'd swear u never were. I'm lookin for positive replies. Not arrogant people who have nothing better to do than argue. Basically ur opinion doesn't count here. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If I were you, I'd be advising your insurance company of the possibility of points going onto your licence, why bother paying for insurance at all if it's going to be void?

Edit: This isn't going to turn into one of those threads, as it'll just end up being swiftly locked.

If I were you, I'd be advising your insurance company of the possibility of points going onto your licence, why bother paying for insurance at all if it's going to be void?

I wont be saying a word until the letter comes through the letter box.

And how does my mistake have such an impact on your life?? I know i was in the wrong. You'd swear u never were. I'm lookin for positive replies. Not arrogant people who have nothing better to do than argue. Basically ur opinion doesn't count here. :D

It impacts if you have an accident and with your insurance invalidated, any compensation comes out a pool of money to which all insurance payers contribute. So it could impact on me and eveyone else. And yes, I've never had any points, fines, endorsements and the one accident I was in was totally the other fella's fault.

Anyhoo gotta take my high horse and go now. I was intially only making you aware of the consequences, but you don't seem to care about such risks. You've already got 2 points and 2 more on the way. Perhaps getting caught for invalid insurance, a hefty fine, lots more points and sky high insurance might help you to learn. Hopefully though you won't hurt anyone in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I wont be saying a word until the letter comes through the letter box.

Well then, seems you have all the advice you need.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement