Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi 8MP Digital Camera for €99

• 09-05-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_6122.htm
    • 8 megapixel
    • 5× optical zoom
    • 32MB internal memory
    • 4.8× digital zoom
    • Video resolution: 640 × 480/320 × 240
    • Recording time: 7.10min/25.30 min (with 1GB SD card)
    • 2.7" LCD colour screen
    • Automatic and manual settings for ISO 64/100/200/400/800
    • 2 – 1/1500 sec. shutter speed
    • 4 mode flash
    • Automatic and manual white balance compensation
    • Self timer 10/2/10+2 sec.
    • Supports SD cards up to 4GB
    • USB connector
    • Includes photo editing software
    My question: is this any good? Looking for a decent, but cheap digital camera, as I'm going to Hellfest in June, and going to take lots of photos. As it supports 4GB cards, I'll probably get two.

I'll be taking pictures mainly of bands, so I'm wondering what do you guys and gals think? Heard any horror stories of this camera, or is it reliable enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Fairly sure you will get nowhere near the front of the stage so cannot see any cats in hell chance of decent photos at night time using this.(as most digi cams would also fall into this view of mine)
    I brought a Digi cam to a fest years ago and I could get close, pics were poor.
    Although if you're not a photographer you might think they're good, if you know what I mean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fairly sure you will get nowhere near the front of the stage so cannot see any cats in hell chance of decent photos at night time using this.(as most digi cams would also fall into this view of mine)
    I brought a Digi cam to a fest years ago and I could get close, pics were poor.
    Although if you're not a photographer you might think they're good, if you know what I mean!
    LoL. Agree with the last post. Looking for something cheap, as I don't have the money for a decent SLR camera at the moment.

As for no photo's at night, meh. Once I don't use the flash for objects far away, I usually get a half decent shot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dont touch theses... they have never brought out a decent camera most are rebranded vivitar crap... woeful..you'll regret it, a cheap fuji or canon will blow this outta the water

dont touch theses... they have never brought out a decent camera most are rebranded vivitar crap... woeful..you'll regret it, a cheap fuji or canon will blow this outta the water
    Ah, okay :( Know of any cheap cameras out there? Looking at 8MP as a minimum, with at least 5 optical zoom. Will look at adverts.ie later.

I got a cheap nikon for 40 quid (stg) a while ago.

Not great but its perfect for the bringing to the pub and that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the_syco wrote: »
    Ah, okay :( Know of any cheap cameras out there? Looking at 8MP as a minimum, with at least 5 optical zoom. Will look at adverts.ie later.
    why does it need to be a minimum of 8mp? are u printing 12by9inches or larger?

hd video is between 1.5-2mp

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

for a point and shoot anything over 4 mp is enough imo, a high end old camera round that will wipe the floor with any cheapo 10mp out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Those aldi cams are awful, just get a cheap nikon or canon or any name brand camera really.

Savage line-up for hellfest this year though!

You will get the Nikon I got for less then that I would guess (Nikon CoolPix L16 it seems).

3518517653_7a6b3d7ec4.jpg?v=0

3518514981_305a8bf0b5.jpg?v=0

3518514197_1dbd78652a.jpg?v=0

3518513895_4255cc8936.jpg?v=0

Its not amazing but for 40 quid you, its good value I think. Took these with it today when leaving college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Those aldi cams are awful, just get a cheap nikon or canon or any name brand camera really.

Savage line-up for hellfest this year though!

+1 my aunt bought one last year and its a awful yoke, noisy and slow. She still prefers to use her 7 year old kodak digicam, which i have to say gives nice results

• Advertisement

landyman wrote: »
    +1 my aunt bought one last year and its a awful yoke, noisy and slow. She still prefers to use her 7 year old kodak digicam, which i have to say gives nice results

Yeah, I know a lad that bought one of those cameras when he was going on holidays (at the last minute because his regular camera broke). When he got his shots printed they were noisy, blurry, useless messes.

Actually I just remembered I have a photo from one of those camera's on my pc. (The lad I mentioned in the last post's camera)

Straight form the camera, taken on a very sunny day. Hope it helps you make your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Wouldn't touch an aldi digital camera. Bought one as a present for someone. Slow to take the picture & blurry pictures when you go to print them out.

I bought one of these myself: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2371113/art/olympus/fe-45-black.html - 10 megapixel Olympus for under €105. Fairly good for that price! Steer clear of the 'Traveler' digital cameras though, they're not up to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Lots and lots a ca and not to mention soft as a pile of cushions. My sony ericsson k800 takes a better photo

Why 8MP? Suppose it's because I've seen the results from one, and I like what I see. Below 8MP, I've seen the results from a 4MP camera, and, er, no. The pictures are okay, but equal to what I'd get with a disposable camera that I'd get for a tenner.

=-=

Had a look at 4 camera's at Komplett, and Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W150 had the 8MP with 5x optical zoom @ €160.

=-=

Elara.ie had a Canon Powershot A580 which may also suit me, but only 4x optical zoom. The one in the Komplett link above (A480) had 10MP, but only 3.3x optical zoom, so I don't think I'll go for that.

=-=

Look at 6 cameras from dabs.ie, and two Kodak cameras, the Kodak Easyshare ZD710 Camera and the Kodak Z1085IS Camera, caught my eye, the former having a 10x optical zoom, with 7.1MP, and the latter having 5x optical zoom, but 10MP.

Canon and Fuji were mentioned above: are Kodak any good?

=-=

Don't know of any other online shops. Avoiding pixmania.ie as I've only heard bad things about it.

The Kodaks look alright, but what do the people who actually use them think of them?

unless you were viewing the two images side by side blown up fairly flipping huge, you will notice no difference in the mega pixels. the megapixels has no real influence on the image quality... its the quality of the sensor and how the lens that really influences the picture... dont get sucked into the marketing hype of more megapixels is better, givent he small sensor on point and shoot cameras, even eight megapixels is actually quite bad for the image due to electrical interference between sensor points... have a google of megapixel myth...it'll explain it all.

tbh i would avoid kodak and sony... both arent really known for good point and shoots, tho since sony have dabbled in dslr market maybe its changed ( i used to have one and felt the camera over processed in camera way too much).

canon/nikon/fuji are all pretty competant brands and you wont be disappointed with the results from them

this explains the myth of more 'mega pixels are better' to be untrue

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes you definitely need at least 8MP

These were taken with a 6MP Camera & then compressed for the Web. They may have been OK if I had another 2MP.:rolleyes:

557F93ABB5BA42F3ADAD528D46F596D0-800.jpg

4BEB7B95C49943869E9D1A4ACE8C2698-800.jpg

D81946944B094AD4B65048627C2AE1E9.jpg

0F6F6E8C1FDC435A918AD660BFC515B9.jpg

Yeah, they're pretty bad. It's pity you didn't keep up with technology CabanSail because a couple of them really had potential.

this explains the myth of more 'mega pixels are better' to be untrue

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
    Excellent website! Thanks :) Reading through it now. The "megapixel myth" is interesting. The hard part will be where to look for information about what camera would be good: asking here turned out to be a bad idea, bar one post.

• Advertisement

dpreview does camera reviews, pretty good and trustworthy too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There is a Sticky at the top of the page which should help you to make a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The hard part will be where to look for information about what camera would be good: asking here turned out to be a bad idea, bar one post.

Your original question to the forum:
    My question: is this any good? Looking for a decent, but cheap digital camera, as I'm going to Hellfest in June, and going to take lots of photos. As it supports 4GB cards, I'll probably get two.

We've had 2 pages of useful and helpful advice from forum users - initially informing you that such cameras are pretty poor which answers your opening question i'd have thought. Subsequently forum users have been attempting to be helpful suggesting brands to stick to and responding to your further posts with additional advice and samples of images, and references to additional information on other sites.

I must be misunderstanding your original question to support your assertion that "asking here turned out to be a bad idea, bar one post".

I think at this point your best avenue is to follow the information in the sticky thread "So you are looking for a new camera"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

asking here turned out to be a bad idea, bar one post.
    :rolleyes:

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I must be misunderstanding your original question to support your assertion that "asking here turned out to be a bad idea, bar one post".
    Yeah, my bad. It looked like a flame war after a couple of posts:o

dpreview does camera reviews, pretty good and trustworthy too

ye, dpreview is great. most informative reviews ive seen online.

its hard to register for the forums there tho, u cant use a web mail address.

Advertisement