Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dog for me?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me.

I'm 21, a student, and looking to get a new puppy. I've never had a pet before, so I'm looking for something low enough maintenance. My main concern is potty training, so a dog that can be easily trained would be ideal.

Don't get me wrong, I will have a lot of time for it, and will give it the proper attention, but as it's the first dog I'll ever get, I'm looking for something easy enough to get me started.

So any ideas on what the best breed for me to get is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

You say you're a student.

a) How much time do you spend at home? Is there anyone at home to look after the dog during the day? I realise summer's nearly here but what about after that?
    b) How big is your current place? What size of dog are you interested in? How much exercise are you able to give it?
    c) Do you live at home, on your own, or in a share, and if not on your own, how do the other members of the household feel about a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What are you going to do with the 'dog' (puppies do grow up unfortunately) when you graduate and perhaps want to move to Australia and work for a year, or do a bit of travelling?

Dogs are not really low maintenance as a general rule - you can't really lock them up in a cage and just spend time with them when it suits you. They're going to be whining when you're hungover and in bed, and they'll need the same amount of attention when you're doing your finals, and when you want to go for a drink after lectures etc ....

What if the dog has a genetic defect and requires expensive surgery and medication? Can you afford it? Vet bills are EXPENSIVE! As is food etc.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to advise you to wait until you're 'settled' - and can guarantee that you'll be around long term to look after the dog for the forseeable future. Too many dogs end up in shelters and abandoned because not enough thought was put into getting it in the first place. It's sad but true. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Glowing wrote: »
    What are you going to do with the 'dog' (puppies do grow up unfortunately) when you graduate and perhaps want to move to Australia and work for a year, or do a bit of travelling?

Dogs are not really low maintenance as a general rule - you can't really lock them up in a cage and just spend time with them when it suits you. They're going to be whining when you're hungover and in bed, and they'll need the same amount of attention when you're doing your finals, and when you want to go for a drink after lectures etc ....

What if the dog has a genetic defect and requires expensive surgery and medication? Can you afford it? Vet bills are EXPENSIVE! As is food etc.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to advise you to wait until you're 'settled' - and can guarantee that you'll be around long term to look after the dog for the forseeable future. Too many dogs end up in shelters and abandoned because not enough thought was put into getting it in the first place. It's sad but true. :(

Its not really fair to assume that the OP is the kind of student who goes out drinking alot etc. in fairness we dont know what their situation is.

Im 21 and a student and got my first dog last year, a siberian husky. Not all students go out drinking all the time or want to go to Australia! It really annoys me that people think just because you're a student your irresponsible and cant manage owning a dog.

i agree however that dogs really arent low maintenence and if the OP wants something low maintence then a dog probably isnt the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dogs aren't low maintenance. Get a hamster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Hi OP,
    If your main concern is training maybe instead of a pup you could look for a dog that already has some training? The rescues would be the best place to start in that case, however they will probably be concerned that you are a student. I'm not sure, but maybe if you can show them that you are settled you might be in with a chance. There are lots of lovely dogs on dogsindistress.org. I am technically a student, but I am also quite comfortably settled and well able to look after my three rabbits and dog. It's unfair to tar all students with the same brush! Instead of working or raising a family, you choose to study... so you should not have a pet? A student is no more or less qualified to have a pet than a non-student. Your suitability depends on your individual circumstances.
    Best of luck OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If you're a student living in rented accom and you're allowed to have a dog then lucky you! Most landlords wont hear of it.

But what if you have to move? Because you will find it hard to find rented accom with a dog. We were renting our room out, and said that pets are allowed, we were absolutely swamped with calls, simply because the pet owners could not find anywhere else.

If you have all of this sorted, then I would still advise you to think long and hard about getting a dog. It's a huge amount of responsibility and there is no such thing as a "low maintenance" dog. Exams etc are a huge strain on most people, your dog wont understand that and will demand the same amount of time and energy from you regardless. What if you get a great job, but need to travel with it? How will you cope if you do need to rehome the dog due to work? College is the most changable time of your life, I would really recommend waiting until you leave.

EDIT: If you do decide to get one (who knows, you might already own your own house and have a job set up to walk into after college :) ) then I would second maggies suggestion of getting an older dog, who already has a bit of training. Even a 6 month old dog will be pretty much house trained if they're from a responsible home. And I'm not sure if it's true, perhaps someone can confirm for me, but are bitches easier to house train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Trog wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me.

I'm 21, a student, and looking to get a new puppy. I've never had a pet before, so I'm looking for something low enough maintenance. My main concern is potty training, so a dog that can be easily trained would be ideal.

Don't get me wrong, I will have a lot of time for it, and will give it the proper attention, but as it's the first dog I'll ever get, I'm looking for something easy enough to get me started.

So any ideas on what the best breed for me to get is?

House training can be among the easiet parts of owning and training a dog. Unless theres someone available to spend most of day with the puppy i'd wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Ok, it's been a while since I was on, but just to clarify:

Firstly, I am thinking long and hard about this, hence asking for help from people who are more experienced. And by low maintenance I meant low maintenance for a dog. If I wanted a pet I could leave in a cage I would obviously just get something else.

I live at home with just me and my dad. I won't be moving out any time soon as it's a big house and I'm not leaving my dad all alone.

I do go out drinking, like most people in Ireland, but how does that mean I can't take care of a dog hung over? I've gotten up early and gone training hung over before, so I think petting a dog and feeding it shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Exams are stressful, as is working life. Students aren't the only ones who get stressed, and dogs never understand.

Most of you seem to think of me being a student as a negative thing, where students by in large have more free time than others and therefore can afford to dedicate more time to caring for a dog.

To those of you that have offered productive criticism and advice (including the negative ones), thank you. I am considering an older dog from a shelter, but are they not usually harder to deal with due to mistreatment in previous times? I figured a rescued dog would take more time and attention as it may have psychological problems. Am I wrong here?

To anyone who just assumes I'm not going to be a good pet owner based on little or no actual fact, I'm just going to ignore your comments.

Thanks again.

Oh, and the main reason I'm worried about potty training is because my dad is physically disabled, and easily falls over. It's nasty enough when he slips on a sheet of paper, but a dog dookie? Nas-tay.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Hi Trog,
    Not all dogs from rescues or shelters have been mistreated or abandoned. Some are being homed by a rescue because the dog's owner died, and there wasn't a family to take the dog.
    Some are very reluctantly given to the rescue to rehome because the owner had to downsize to a small rental property that doesn't allow pets.
    Some are very much loved, but got out and wandered when the postman left the gate open.

Quite a lot of dogs in rescue are well balanced, evenly tempered, lovable, partly or fully trained, and may be in there through no fault of their own.

If your Dad is home most of the day to keep a dog company, then a rescue should have no problems approving you for adoption. They can take your circumstances into consideration and match you with the right dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some puppies bladders take up to 8 months to mature so a puppy would take more work, although some adult dogs need re training even if house trained already they are in a new environment and might need some coaxing.

Some rescue dogs do have issues but it all depends where they came from, there are a lot of dogs being handed in to rescue because of the recession, some dogs get handed in because of a marriage breakdown etc. etc. so there are dogs that come directly from a home where they have been loved but the owner can no longer cope. Often dogs are handed in because their elderly owner isn't able or has to go into a home or whatever.
    A lot of these dogs are already well used to day to day life in a household and already potty trained and have no major issues other than having to get used to new surroundings.

A good rescue will match the dog to you and vice versa so it would be worth your while checking them out often adult dogs are over looked and can be in rescue for a long time so rescues get to know the dog inside out.

A quieter older dog might suit your dad as well, something not too large so that if they do bump into each other he's not going to snot himself.

Or even a terrier full of personality and are happy if you throw a ball from one end of the house to the other but will also happily leg it around a field like a loon.

Best of luck with your search there are so many dogs that could fit into your situation you're bound to find one.

Check out irishanimals.ie for a list of rescues in your area, even if you spot a dog that isn't in your area it is possible to adopt from outside the county.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

As the other posters said, a rescue dog is the best kind of "easy" dog. I just wanted to second that. You should call down to your local SPCA, just to be curious. Even over the phone, they can give you an idea of the dogs they are trying to place.

They will be completely totally honest with you about the dogs and the good stuff and quirks of personalities or habits. They will have a good idea of their temperament from being with them, and they'll sometimes have a full history.

For a first dog, this might be the best choice for you. In the future, you can enjoy a dog from being a puppy with more experience under your belt.

Keep in mind, that although the SPCA and rescue centres are keen to re-home the dogs, they are more keen that they go to an appropriate home. These people have alot of experience and will try the best to advise you. They're not going to give you a bad match, because they know it's stressful for all involved: you, the dog and them.

There are also two dogs posted here on boards.ie which you might consider.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60204261&postcount=1026

Originally Posted by Kelly7589
    My mum is looking for a home for another dog that she has rescued.

Ella is a 2 year old Yellow Labrador. She has a lovely temperament and good manners. She would suit somebody who has a large safe outdoor space where she can run and play as she has lots of energy. Shes fine with children but with young ones she tends to bounce around and knock them over..just so you know.

Free to a good loving home! For further details please post or PM me and I will forward me mums details as shes the one to talk to about it.
    She is just outside Drumshanbo, Leitrim.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60243648&postcount=1039
    Yesterday, 14:33 #1039
    HereticPrincess
    My mam is trying to home a dog she has been looking after for a year.
    He is an 18 month old brindle staff.
    Good temperament, friendly & very active.

My mam can't keep him as my little brother is 3yrs old & she has an 8 year old lab too. She doesn't want to see him put down.
    Pics later today hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Well if you feel you're ready for a dog then I think a rescue dog could be a very good idea. We got a rescue dog in november and he's just the best pet we could have hoped for.
    I am considering an older dog from a shelter, but are they not usually harder to deal with due to mistreatment in previous times? I figured a rescued dog would take more time and attention as it may have psychological problems. Am I wrong here?

I think you could be wrong there. Our dog came from the pound and he has no problems at all now. He was perfectly house trained from the start. He loves other dogs and people. He's very smart and easy to train. It did take us a while to convince him to go into his kennel as we believe he had been kept locked up or something. But he happily sleeps in his kennel now. He used to be a bit wary of us at first but that's all gone as he settled in.

Some dogs may have issues but it's quite rewarding gaining the trust of the dog and helping him be a happy dog once again.

Best of luck with your search for a dog.

Ok, a dog from a shelter looks like the right choice then. I'll have a look around a few of them. Thanks very much for all the help everyone, I'm glad there are so many people who care enough about animals around. I'm still going to have to discuss it more with dad, but hopefully I'll have the right dog for me before the summer's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

a jack russell - small, affecionate to owner, great company and personalities, good guards, clean and particular about where they toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 petangels

The volunteers at wexford pet helpers, non-profit,volunteer organisation that will certainly be very helpful and have lots of good advice.. Contact details: Jackie - 086 0707919 or email wexfordpethelpers.net

They have dogs for fostering, just another option to consider... Best of luck..

Advertisement