Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about rebel simcard and possible blacklisted phone

• 09-05-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

I bought an N95 second hand recently that was locked to o2 and it has reception and everything fine when i use it on o2, I bought one of those sim cards that allows you to place any network's simcard in the phone, but when i use it, it allows me to enter the pin of the sim and everything and use the phonebook etc. but i don't get any reception. Could it be that the IMEI is blacklisted or something? i tried a meteor and a tesco mobile sim and neither could get reception, i'm hoping it's not blacklisted because if it worked on o2 it should work on tesco too, no? Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Your not in offline mode? If you are, pressing the power button and selecting the 'General' profile should take you out of offline mode.

Otherwise it would seem its now been blacklisted if no sim is connecting. You can ring o2 and they will tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

it works ok on o2 though, thats the thing. It's just when i try to use another sim with a network unlock simcard underneath it that i can't get reception on the other networks, so it could be a problem with the simcard. I'ms ure if i ahve it unlocked properly i'll know. But is it possible that it could be blacklisted on every network except o2? even tesco mobile which piggybacks off o2?

Well it has happened before that it connects to one network and not the others, which shouldn't really be the case if its blacklisted correctly. It doesn't matter than tesco piggybacks from o2, they are still separate.

Are you sure its unlocked correctly? You are able to put other sims then o2 and enter the pin correctly and in the general profile?

Thats the thing, it's a simcard unlock solution from deal extreme, so it might not be the most professional unlocking solution. It could also be a problem with the unlock simcard, which i'm hoping it is. It could be that the unlock sim card is allowing the pin and phonebook to go through but not the network maybe? it's in general profile, not offline

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Thats the thing, it's a simcard unlock solution from deal extreme, so it might not be the most professional unlocking solution. It could also be a problem with the unlock simcard, which i'm hoping it is. It could be that the unlock sim card is allowing the pin and phonebook to go through but not the network maybe? it's in general profile, not offline

I have used those turbo sims, never had a problem with them, including some of the DX ones.

If the turbo sim wasn't unlocking it correctly, it shouldn't allow you turn on the phone fully like it is, also if its not reading the sim it would start up in offline mode.

• Advertisement

hmm i hope it's not blacklisted now. It would be strange if it was locked to o2, blacklisted and only worked on o2 though?

griffdaddy wrote: »
    hmm i hope it's not blacklisted now. It would be strange if it was locked to o2, blacklisted and only worked on o2 though?

Well yes, it shouldn't be happening. Once its blacklisted, the phone shouldn't connect to any network at all. But it saying that, it has happened before.

You need to contact other networks and ask them if they have the phone as stolen

ok, they won't 'tell o2' or anything would they? the last thing i want is to be down 150 euro and have a useless n95. pretty annoying if it is blacklisted, i'll have to chase the guy back through adverts if it is. Thanks for your help by the way you've cleared somethings up. I'll be moving abroad soon as well, do they have an international imei blacklist yet? I don't want to sound like some kinda of stolen phone encourager or anything though, i'm just working out what my worst case scenario is, Thanks again

I think across Europe its the same list. Going further than that is a different story. They wont be telling o2, if its blacklisted o2 should already to blocking it.

hmm ok, i'll give tesco mobile a ring and see what they say. Thanks again for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Are you sure the unlocking SIM hasn't changed the IMEI to 000000-00-000000-0 ? Key *#06# into the phone and if it's all 0s then you're in trouble, otherwise check if it's blacklisted. From what I've seen, only Meteor block 0000000000000000 at the moment. In any case I think it's unlikely this is IMEI related, most likely something gone wrong in the unlocking process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Try and see if your o2 sim card works when its used with the unlock sim if it doesn't then your problem is the unlock sim I had one of these before and it wouldn't work till I set up the unlock sim correctly by putting a pin on it or something like that. Anyway give it a go

yeah the o2 sim seems to work ok with the card, i tried the imei and it was a normal one as well. unless it's just a certain type of lock on the phone. i read on the forum at deal extreme that it didn't work with some people's n95 and did with others, but nobody complained of reception problems. I requested the unlock code from nokia the other day, so i guess i'll know on monday or tuesday. if it doesnt take a different sim when i unlock it with the code am i in blacklisted territory then?

Advertisement