Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forster Court Broadband

Options
  • 09-05-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Looking at a move to Forster Court and wondering what broadband provider to opt for. It is between UPC/NTL , Magnet and Smart. I have had NTL for the last couple of years and have had terrible luck with gaming (probably due to contention). I'm just wondering if anyone in the area has any testimonials about any of the above services?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I live across the road at the bottom of college road area and our NTL is fine. Not a bother.

edit: UPC is the new name for NTL is it not? says UPC on our box, i think everyone just still calls it NTL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

UPC is the new name for NTL is it not? says UPC on our box, i think everyone just still calls it NTL?

logo.jpg

UPC covers both NTL and Chorus... at the moment they still use the NTL and Chorus brands (recognizable) but it looks like they're slowing moving to a single UPC brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

I live across the road at the bottom of college road area and our NTL is fine. Not a bother.

edit: UPC is the new name for NTL is it not? says UPC on our box, i think everyone just still calls it NTL?

I just used 'UPC/NTL' for em', I dunno Cif is still Jif to me ;). So you have no problems with the likes of XBL? This is going to be a house full of gamers so trying to avoid arguments over lag ( as much as possible that is ).

Didn't even notice the thread being moved, I figured the region had as much to do with the connection as the provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i'm in forster court and have no problems with ntl

So NTL 20 mb in Forster Court will hande a house with 3 xbox live gamers on simultaneously? I started the thread because this is probably going to be a 'heavy usage' house and I want to make sure before signing contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

I'm in Forster court, we have 10MB UPC, and it's always been grand, even sometimes running both PS3 online and Xbox Live simultaneously. Surprising, because my previous encounters with NTL/UPC broadband haven't been great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i'm running 10meg and it survived the bandwidth strains of my french and spanish house mates leeching tv shows from home with all their might

Is there anyone gaming in Forster Court on Smart or Magnet? Any idea how far from the exchange we are? Alternatively, anyone getting lagged out of it and left at the mercy of the Americans on the NTL 20 mb line ? Making my decision tomorrow.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i'm running 10meg and it survived the bandwidth strains of my french and spanish house mates leeching tv shows from home with all their might

:rolleyes: I feel your pain

Ok ,housemates seem dead set on the Smart 24 mb line, anyone able to tell me if this is possible in Forster Court? I've read somewhere our nearest exchange is by the post office in town but that Galway suffers from certain 'blackspots' coverage wise ? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement