Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venice

• 09-05-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

was in Venice for the first time last weekend. It really is an amazing place. It was very crowded due to mayday bank holiday but I imagine it's like that all during the summer. Hard to take any decent shots of the main landmark sites so I tried to concentrate more on the "side streets". Here's a few I got

IMG_4942.JPG
    IMG_4945.JPG
    IMG_4974.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

I think no. 3 is stunning - what focal length were you using for that

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

Thanks. I was using my Sigma 17-70 at the widest end. That lens stays on my camera most of the time- especially useful for travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

They are all really good, you must be very happy with the results.
    No. 2 for me, (was it taken from behind a window?) look @ the back wall, so aged. Classic. :cool: Italian style.

thanks I pearse. In fact I took it from a gondola passing by! looks like a bit of flare shooting into the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

I think no. 2 would lend itself well to a b&w with the textures and contrasts.

If I were to be critical, no. 4 doesn't do much for me, maybe a tighter crop , although I like the strong colours (but bear in mind I'm a beginner)

• Advertisement

Thanks trican- will give it a go. no.4 is a bit of a Venice cliche. I had to take it around noon- I have seen great shots of it taken on a misty morning!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Number three looks like a still from The Prisoner:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I love them!! now i want to go to Venice!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

Nice Shot!

IMG_4974.JPG

Venice is great but don't feed the gondolas ! ( actually I felt a bit malnourished after a few days of pizza's & pastas & lettuce and sprung for a 120e Irish steak in some place one night so can't really talk lol )

Some burds around st. Marks square, and I don't mean the pigeon type :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm going in August, looking forward to snapping around. Can't find any of my shots from my last trip to Venice but they were on a P&S so they weren't spellbinding. Still, would be nice to have the reminders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I really like number one, has that "classic" feeling about it.

Although i would be tempted to crop the left hand side a little to get rid of the people walking by.

Thanks Eirebear. In fact I had already cropped a little off the top to get rid of peoples feet but didn't want to go any further as the arch of the bridge would have been lost. Didn't consider cropping from the left as I felt the red brickwork was something that helped the overall feel of the picture.

However here's your suggested crop and I think it works well.
    IMG_4942.JPG

Thanks for the advice.

Alan

Advertisement