Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pain is a sign there is something wrong

Options
  • 09-05-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I think we all know that.

But if you get a pain that you cannot explain, what do you do?

I got cancer 17 months ago, tumor in leg, had operations, chemo and radiation. Everyone said "it's gone now, you can get back to your life". So I did, I started to forget the horrible time I had with chemo and radiation, I began to see my life open up again in front of me. For so long it had seemed like life was over for me. But I began to get back to work, I started to enjoy life again.

But once you have cancer your life changes, even when the cancer is gone and your terrible treatments are over, you still have to go back for scans to see if it is back, you have to wait for weeks to get the results. It hangs over us, all of us, me, my wife, my two girls. Until we go and see the consultant and hear the words "All Clear", we are on edge. Then we go away happy, for another 3 months.

Recently, I began to get a tingly sensation in my left hand, then my arm began to ache. So I went back to the oncology ward and got more scans, x-ray's, mri. But everything came back clear. Until yesterday, I went into hospital to be told that a tumor is growing in my neck, it is already 3cm X 5cm and is pressing down on my nerves, blood flow and return to my left arm.

So what is my point? Well, quite frankly, it is only because I am a cancer patient that this tumor was found quite quickly. My surgeon said that if I had not had cancer before it would not have been found until it was too late.

So if you get a strange pain, or change in your body, if you know what I mean. Go to your doctor, get it checked out, if things do not improve go back to your doctor.

I used to be the type of fool who usually lets things go on for too long before going to the doctor. Not any more! Life is too short!

Cancer is getting bigger and bigger, people are getting it younger and younger, I am 42, not that young, but I feel it is too young for cancer.

VISIT YOUR DOCTOR WHEN YOU FEEL THE PAIN
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thank you for posting that Happy121. I think your story highlights a very important issue for everybody, and particularly those on this board. I know it really made me think.It seems when you read through posts here that alot of people have the experience of not being taken as seriously as they should be when they initially see a doctor to have a condition diagnosed. Before you have much experience of illness you're inclined to think that a doctors first reaction to your symptoms must carry more weight than what you're experiencing.It takes a while to learn that you are the only person who really knows what's going on with you and that sometimes you have to fight to be heard. I hope everyone reading your post will remember that.

I really hope that your surgery and treatment go very well and that you're clear and well again soon. I'll have my fingers crossed for you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Good post OP.

Even for peace of mind it's worth it.

I used to get a really odd pain under my left lung. Had it for years but never did anything about it... even though it worried me a little bit.

So I got tests done and everything is ok. They have no idea what was causing it. My own experiments since then have discovered it is caused by caffeine! Mad.

But yeah, better safe then sorry, and getting tests doesn't take long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

Hey happy121, hope you are doing ok. Thinking of you and your family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Thanks for thinking of others and posting this message. I hope all goes well for you with your treatment. I will make an appointment with my doctor on Monday to check out a kidney problem I have been ignoring for a while now.

Advertisement