Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Hot Air Balloon Championship 2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Great Cant wiat to see them goin

Best of luck to all involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

bit of a damp squid in the end - no flights took place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The wind picked up a lot between 4 and 7pm so the pilots made the call not to go. Apologies to the visitors to the park but the conditions just weren't right to go ahead. With ballooning thats the way it goes sometimes. Ya get ready to go if its borderline and make a call on the spot. Ya win some, ya lose some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I didn't get the chance but I could feel the wind picking up so figured it wouldn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

no harm done.. fair play to the guys stat still inflated the balloons for the crowd even though they knew that they werent goin up

• Advertisement

Looks like tomorrow is a no fly day also. The wind speed forecasts are way higher than we'd like.

At this stage, we're looking at Tuesday evening or Wednesday and thats being optimistic.

Personally I think we're looking at flights on Wednesday evening, Thursday and Friday. We'll see!

No flying this evening I'm afraid. The wind at 20 knots is far too strong.

Crews heading out to Belline Equestrian Centre in Piltown now to see if the wind is suitable. If so, we might get some balloons in the air at 6pm ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

A few pics from up in the skies near Piltown today:

30t3x2w.jpg

wksaps.jpg

10mtv8g.jpg

1fvad1.jpg

mv4w3b.jpg

s5wkz4.jpg

Likely launch from the park on Wednesday evening between 5:30pm and 6:30pm depending on the weather staying good and the winds calming slightly.

Thanks to all in the Piltown/Kilmacow area for your fantastic hospitality tonight and for your good wishes and help for all the crews!

One thing I might ask the boardees here to take a lead on if you're in the park is how close you stand to the balloons when they're getting set up. The crews need lots of space to work in as its not an easy task to get one in the air. Watching from the cycle track or a little further back if necessary would be a great help to them all.

Thanks a lot! Fingers crossed for at least one big colourful launch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Looked great this morning pity ye didn't have blue skies

Did anything happen today? and will it tomorrow?

Had a great launch this evenin from the park but couldn't update the thread as boards was down for maintenance. There'll be a launch from Piltown probably tomorrow evening around 6.30pm and then the night glow on the quay at 8.30 or 9 approximately. It could be later if the crews are delayed getting back in from the evening flight. Tripods and cameras at the ready on the Waterford side on that one.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What are the chances of the in line launch from Waterford airport in the morning?

Final call on that one will be made at crew briefing at 6am ish but it won't be a public event.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Thanks for that, pity someone didn't tell wlrfm that it wasn't a public event, they gave out details about it and mentioned it would be a great sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Agreed, what a launch tonight and perfect place for a couple of the balloons in Jack Meades.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, pity someone didn't tell wlrfm that it wasn't a public event, they gave out details about it and mentioned it would be a great sight.

Sorry, what I meant by not being a public event was that I didnt think the public wouldnt be allowed onto the tarmac of the airport on the runway side. The balloons were scheduled to be launched from the runway itself. Im sure there was no problem for anyone who wanted to see from the carpark side of the fence.

I just caught the end of a live report on RTEs Morning Ireland from inside a balloon.

2 quick favourites from last nights flight. Landed just around the corner from Jack Meades

3948494091_c2d750b8d4.jpg

3950365194_2a34a69171.jpg

• Advertisement

Just looking at the launch from Carrolls Cross tomorrow, the high ground at Knockaderry could be good place to catch a wide view of the action.

re the Woodlands Hotel Dunmore Road launch in the morning, which direction are you likely to see them go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Whats goin on tonight ,is their any balloons in air later ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

just heard the glow is on tonight - they should be setting up around 9 ish and starting at 9.30. North Quays or thereabouts so anywhere in the city should have a good view. I am open to correction though, hearing it from a colleague.;) Really enjoyed it last night, well done guys!

Trotter wrote: »
    Had a great launch this evenin from the park but couldn't update the thread as boards was down for maintenance. There'll be a launch from Piltown probably tomorrow evening around 6.30pm and then the night glow on the quay at 8.30 or 9 approximately. It could be later if the crews are delayed getting back in from the evening flight. Tripods and cameras at the ready on the Waterford side on that one.

as per Trotters post, just re read thread :D

mike65 wrote: »
    Just looking at the launch from Carrolls Cross tomorrow, the high ground at Knockaderry could be good place to catch a wide view of the action.

re the Woodlands Hotel Dunmore Road launch in the morning, which direction are you likely to see them go?

We won't know whats happening at all in terms of launch sites for tomorrow until later this evening. The advance schedules are always just 'aspirational' and change a lot depending on the weather. I'll post up here anyway as soon as decisions are made.

just heard the glow is on tonight - they should be setting up around 9 ish and starting at 9.30. North Quays or thereabouts so anywhere in the city should have a good view. I am open to correction though, hearing it from a colleague.;) Really enjoyed it last night, well done guys!

nice one , what is this glow about i know its lights and stuff has anyone seen it?

I've never seen one before so I'm looking forward to it, I'd imagine they glow up in unision and with it being dark and all any flame should be very bright but I'm only guessing. The flames were really visable yesterday evening even though it was light so in the dark it must be quite impressive. Trotter might be able to tell us if he comes back.

There will be music played and the balloons will be given instructions to light up at a certain point.

ah right thanks , sounds good best spot would be on quay then i reckon?

• Advertisement

Yeah the quay. North quays will be a no go area for people for health and safety reasons.

Advertisement