Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA on Setanta

• 09-05-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this mentioned on setanta sports news.Setanta will be showing 2 live games per week for the rest of the playoffs on setanta sports 2.starting on sunday with the lakers v rockets.they will also show daily highlights on setanta news(not subscription).hopefully they mite be able to get rights for next season
    http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/other-sports/2009/05/09/NBA-live-on-Setanta/gnid-52176/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Came here to post this, you beat me to it. Lakers-Rockets on tomorrow night. Interesting though it's only scheduled for 2 and a half hours, don't games usually go on for longer?

Also as far as I know Sky's contract runs out at the end of the season and with ESPN having a channel on Setanta they might show them there. I wish we had TNT though, Chuck and Kenny are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Great! I just need to subscribe.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Liam O wrote: »

Also as far as I know Sky's contract runs out at the end of the season and with ESPN having a channel on Setanta they might show them there. I wish we had TNT though, Chuck and Kenny are great

Sky haven't had live NBA coverage for at least two seasons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

That's great news! Thanks Yaba and Liam O :p
    One word....Finally!!!
    That's great and Channel 5 still have their one game a week Tue night/Wed morn (hopefully it's not the same one!)
    Definitely will be contacting Setanta to ask them to keep it up next season!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Sky haven't had live NBA coverage for at least two seasons now.

yeah but I think they have the exclusive contract, otherwise ESPN America probably would've made a play for them. I'm not sure though but maybe the viewing figures just weren't up to standards on Sky and they decided to cut their losses. I just wish we could go back to the 3/4 games on the red button on Sky :mad: or even if Setanta did a similar thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah but I think they have the exclusive contract, otherwise ESPN America probably would've made a play for them. I'm not sure though but maybe the viewing figures just weren't up to standards on Sky and they decided to cut their losses. I just wish we could go back to the 3/4 games on the red button on Sky :mad: or even if Setanta did a similar thing

that would be nuts .if sky had the rights for the nba they would be showing it.take a look what they are showing tonight at 8.30 .football on sky 1and 2,golf on sky xtra.highlights of The Ashes 05 on sky3.they have some awful **** on sky sports during the week as filler

yeah but I think they have the exclusive contract, otherwise ESPN America probably would've made a play for them.

No Sky dropped their NBA Coverage completely meaning they had no contract whatsoever for the last two seasons. Which was probably a good thing as they didn't give the sport as much priority as it deserved seeing as there were only live games after the All Star break and not before it as well as an often poor choice of games.
    that would be nuts .if sky had the rights for the nba they would be showing it.take a look what they are showing tonight at 8.30 .football on sky 1and 2,golf on sky xtra.highlights of The Ases 05 on sky3.they have some awful **** on sky sports during the week as filler

Don't forget that Sky dropped the NBA in favour of getting NASCAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

mavericks v nuggets game is being shown thursday morning .its starting at 2am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

Well the first live game on Setanta Ireland was a washout, Houston were absolutely hopeless, losing Yao Ming meant Gasol was free to do what he liked. The series with the Nuggets will be intriguing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

final 3 pairings on live on setanta??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

hey guys if you would like a place to find all this seasons games mostly in hd hours after screening then just pm me and ill point ya in right direction.. watched the houston v la game last night.. when is the next one set to be on and what setanta channell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

They're trying their best to keep people subscribed over the lean summer months.

Once the Premiership is over alot of people will cancel their subscriptions for the summer, and considering they've lost half of their Premiership games next year, alot of people won't be back!

Just checked the listings Setanta's next game is Orlando and Cleveland game 1 of the ECF on the early hours of Thursday Morning at 1.30am

I'm guessing they'll keep rotating and show the Lakers-Nuggets game 2 next or something along those lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Just checked the listings Setanta's next game is Orlando and Cleveland game 1 of the ECF on the early hours of Thursday Morning at 1.30pm

I'm guessing they'll keep rotating and show the Lakers-Nuggets game 2 next or something along those lines

Yeah I saw Setanta Ireland (the free to view one with NTL/UPC anyway) is showing NBA finals at 1am Thurs as TBC, whereas Setanta 2 (the one you have to pay for) has the Magic/Cavs game at 1:30am?? Hope they show it on Setanta Ireland.

Yes quality game Weds night, really looking forward to it.

My problem is though do I cheer for Orlando where I used to live and saw play or Lebron, my favorite player and the Cavs :eek: uh oh :confused:

I expect channel 5 will have tomorrow (Tuesday) nights WCF nuggets and lakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

jimmay wrote: »
    Yes quality game Weds night, really looking forward to it.

My problem is though do I cheer for Orlando where I used to live and saw play or Lebron, my favorite player and the Cavs :eek: uh oh :confused:

I expect channel 5 will have tomorrow (Tuesday) nights WCF nuggets and lakers.

Orlando! :)

Gotta go with the team from the city where you lived and saw a few games.

Thurs as TBC, whereas Setanta 2 (the one you have to pay for) has the Magic/Cavs game at 1:30am?? Hope they show it on Setanta Ireland.

I meant 1.30AM. Total brainfart on my part:o

I wish in the future that the NBA would take some initiative and launch an NBA TV Channel on the Sports package or even if Sky would rebroadcast some of the NBA TV programming and live games sort of what Sky is doing with NFL Network and broadcasting the likes of Total Access etc.

However knowing Sky and their commitement to the NBA that will never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Orlando! :)

Gotta go with the team from the city where you lived and saw a few games.

To rephrase: do I cheer for the team that I have a connection to and are gonna lose or do I cheer for the team that I have no real connection to and are gonna win? :)

phil wrote: »
    To rephrase: do I cheer for the team that I have a connection to and are gonna lose or do I cheer for the team that I have no real connection to and are gonna win? :)

:D haha hmmm I'd love to see the Cavs sweep them it would be amazing and bring so much hype to the Finals but I can't see Dwight and Ron Jeremy letting that happen!

In fairness I only saw the magic play once but I watched them alot on the box over there and do feel somehow connected with them in an american tourist to ireland kind of way - my great, great, great grandfather was from Eye-rland :p

James seems to be on fire at the moment, full of confidence after his MVP, all NBA 1st team awards. I'd be astonished if the Magic won more than two games.

Would love to see the Nuggets get through, exciting for them and some quality players, Kmart, Anthony and Mr Big Shot Billups. Think LA are just not my team although the pleasure I'd have seeing Lebron rip it up over Kobe...hmmm maybe I should just root for the Magic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

how much are setanta charging 4 subscription? and can you get JUST ESPN on its own or do you have to get all the channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

Most of the games are on the free to air Setanta Ireland channel Like tonights game is on at 1.30 Cavs Vs Magic

theboss80 wrote: »
    ? and can you get JUST ESPN on its own or do you have to get all the channels?

You get all the channels with ESPN America although I think it's different on Virigin Media. There are rumours that they will join a Sky Mix and break away from the Setanta package which is a likely scenario imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

thanks guys never realised i cud see the games on setanta free at night

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

No problem, theyll have 2 games a week and then show all 7 games of the finals

Advertisement