Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying soon

Options
  • 09-05-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Planning on getting my first car soon (well some time in the next few months).
    Been driving as a named driver for about 5 years, of that 4 years was with a full license.
    Want to spend, in total around 6,000 including insurance + tax. Would only go over that if something really nice appears.
    Really have a my heart set on a VW Golf, as I really like them :)
    But dont know what type would be the best; a 1.4 petrol or 1.9 diesel.
    Would also be considering the differences this would have on insurance as this will be the first policy under my name (Male, 23 btw) and tax. Also will be going atleast once a fortnight from Cork to Dublin so fuel costs aswell.
    Basicly which is the best value for money and does anyone have any opinions on either.
    Also, as ive been looking a good bit on carzone.ie and adverts.ie, what are your opinions on buying from a dealership or a private seller?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The 1.9 diesel golf is far better than the 1.4 engine.
    I reckon the petrol engine is a bit underpowered.

Personally I prefer to buy from a private seller, the way I see it the Private seller is only trying to sell his/her car. The dealer benefits from scamming you. Shallow view of it all I know but that's the way I see it..Not that I wouldn't buy from a dealer if they offered decent warranty or extras..etc

If you really have your heart set on the golf then go for that, I would personally try something else. For the money Golfs are fairly overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd definitely go for the 1.9tdi over the 1.4. The 1.4 is underpowered at best, and seeing you'll have a trip to Cork every fortnight i'd definitely want at least some power.
    As Clio....er...SV said, i'd consider the golfs a bit over priced for what they are. I'd personally be looking at maybe something along the lines of a Focus, perhaps a seat leon and the likes. The best thing would be to try out a few different types and see which one you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Thanks for the replies lads,
    out of interest what out make/models would you recommend? same hatchback style as the golf.

also if I do buy from a private seller, any do's/dont's tips for a complete car buying noob :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Definitely the 1.9tdi over the 1.4 petrol any day. There isn't a huge difference between the 1.9 diesel and 1.4 petrol insurance wise. There was about a €50 difference in it for me (18 years old, 1 year named driver). If you can get over the tax then diesel all the way.

If I was buying a car now and liked the VAG, I'd look at a passat, especially if you are doing long journeys. For some reason the prices of passats have plummeted recently and there are some very nice examples out there that you could get on your budget.

Something like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/HIGHLINE/200916192531645/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would recommend the Ford Focus, like the Golf the 1.4 Focus is a little underpowered. The 1.6 litre is much better, the Focus is also a better car to drive than the MKIV Golf and probably less likely to give you trouble.

A nice example:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1227782

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

bazz26 wrote: »

Jaysus, look at the alloy in the pictures.... seriously kerbed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I don't have a bloody clue what is so attractive about Golf's?:confused: They are charachterless and devoid of style, reliabilty, and all of them before the Mk5 had terrible handling and sloppy driving dynamics.

Advertisement