Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise/advice

Options
  • 09-05-2009 7:11pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

can you have a sticky at the top of each forum explaining the difference between this two words?

or maybe an automated response when people start threads using the one of the above works asking them to check they have used the correct words

it completely does my head in

i know my dyslexia causes me problems with spelling but still, it is so annoying
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

What about:

-teh/the

-unneccessary Capitalisations out of Context.

-dimwits posting nothing but image responses (with embedded hotlinks) instead of taking the time to at least engage their brain before posting something they found on 4chan.

-would/could of, instead of could have.

-apostrophe's in word's that don't require them.

-people claiming dyslexia as an excuse for lazy ass spelling (not you, ib, I didn't even know you had it until you said there).

It could become a very long list, as I'm sure you appreciate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I hate the grammar/spelling nazis more. Boards is supposed to be a bit of fun. Grammar/spelling nazis are fun sucking bastards and all should go **** off and lighten up. If people on boards wanted to do something that felt like work 9-5 Monday - Friday would be a very quiet time around here. I really enjoy posting on boards, and enjoy reading the posts even more so, and whilst I hate txt spk I'm not too bothered about spelling/grammar errors. Why should people have to anylize their posts, checking and rechecking every detail, just to please the anally retentive that can't let it go.

Some of the best threads on boards are the faster moving ones, that require quick, witty responses, and having to spellcheck, then grammar check the messages for minor errors really is a pain in the hole and sucks the life out of boards. It would detract from the overall friendliness, and easygoing nature of most of the forums on boards.

I think the problem in general here is with the OP and not with the people making the mistake. If we're being anal we could go over your post and see how many mistakes we can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

id advize you to chill out.

:pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Quazzie wrote: »

I think the problem in general here is with the OP and not with the people making the mistake. If we're being anal we could go over your post and see how many mistakes we can find.

i dont mind if you do, my spelling and grammar are shocking.

the two words have completely different meanings, and it makes my eyes bleed.

i have no problem with bad spelling and grammar, it's just those two words and they used incorrectly all the time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you want my advice, I would advise that you relax and not let it bother you so much.
    There will be no stickys.

Now, text speak on the other hand.
    That's a hanging offense imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Quazzie wrote: »
    I hate the grammar/spelling nazis more. Boards is supposed to be a bit of fun. Grammar/spelling nazis are fun sucking bastards and all should go **** off and lighten up. If people on boards wanted to do something that felt like work 9-5 Monday - Friday would be a very quiet time around here. I really enjoy posting on boards, and enjoy reading the posts even more so, and whilst I hate txt spk I'm not too bothered about spelling/grammar errors. Why should people have to anylize their posts, checking and rechecking every detail, just to please the anally retentive that can't let it go

I don't agree with the OP at all, it's the worst idea for a sticky yet IMO.

But I don't agree totally with your post either. There's nothing wrong with people having a quick glance over their post before submitting it.

Quite true, eoin. I think that's all anyone can reasonably ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I agree entirely with the OP*. If you cannot be bothered using the correct spelling you are likely to have the meaning lost.

* Well, maybe not about the sticky part. Generally. Acceptance by others should not be a validation for laziness, ignorance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

eoin wrote: »
    I don't agree with the OP at all, it's the worst idea for a sticky yet IMO.

But I don't agree totally with your post either. There's nothing wrong with people having a quick glance over their post before submitting it.
    I think you actually do agree with my post. I'm not saying there is any excuse to post jibberish, just that, exactly as you say, a quick glance is enough. Advice/advise wouldn't even be picked up on a spell check.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd hold my hand up and admit that I frequently commit grammar and spelling errors, even though I do take a quick look over a post before pressing submit in the hopes of catching the more major ones. I would contend that the difference between those who don't give a **** and those that make the odd mistake because they realize it isn't a professional submission is easy enough to spot. The former group does irritate me somewhat - paragraphs, punctuation and a mild effort at coherence is greatly appreciated.

Also, my biggest bugbear is when people mix up:

lose

&

loose

I mean, come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Well, in this case I can't see how any meaning could be lost if advice/advise is used incorrectly.
    Quazzie wrote:
    I think you actually do agree with my post. I'm not saying there is any excuse to post jibberish, just that, exactly as you say, a quick glance is enough. Advice/advise wouldn't even be picked up on a spell check.

I think my point was that I'd prefer if people did make the effort to write properly. I'm not going to correct people if they make mistakes (as I'm sure I make many of them), but I don't think it's a good thing to not give a shìt about spelling and grammar. This isn't a throwaway medium like SMS, IRC or IM so I think it deserves more care & attention.

But a sticky telling people not to confuse advise and advice is ridiculous, and I have a feeling it's more a quick vent than a genuine suggestion.

Either that or an in-joke of some kind.

Anyway, I freely admit I'm a pedant when it comes to matters textual, but I feel justified in that. This is a text based medium, and it's sheer bad manners to not at least try to get your meaning across by actually proof reading whatever it is you're "saying" before submitting it.

IRL if someone was deliberately mumbling or not even bothering to speak with enough clarity to be understood, then at a minimum they would be ignored at the first opportunity, and their message whatever it may be would certainly not get the merit it may or may not deserve. Not a great analogy I know, because speech is transient, whereas a post is permanent, but the premise is solid enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If you want my advice, I would advise that you relax and not let it bother you so much.
    There will be no stickys.

Now, text speak on the other hand.
    That's a hanging offense imo.
    Txt Spk FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Oohoohohohhooo, wait till you start noticing the quite/quiet mishaps... infuriating :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Boards.ie Grammar Nazis - educating Irish people for over a decade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Oohoohohohhooo, wait till you start noticing the quite/quiet mishaps... infuriating :mad:

:pac:I have noticed! Exasperating :(!!

But this one seriously grazes my mental shins:'noone' instead of 'no one' or 'no-one' :mad::eek::mad:!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We should just have this as an announcement on all forums. That will stop all the bad grammerring :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭iDontReallyCare

can you have a sticky at the top of each foru
    m explaining the difference between this two words?

or maybe an automated response when people start threads using the one of the above works asking them to check they have used the correct words

i know my dyslexia causes me problems with spelling but still, it is so annoying

Basically you are at the stage were you think what you post on boards is quite witty and funny. You have been around and about abit. You can even start a feedback thread and not have it locked.

You need to take a step back and relax.

I am sure you thought this was a funny thread and those around you thought it too.

It is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

grammar nazis are in leagues with the terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Overheal wrote: »
    grammar nazis are in leagues with the terrorists.
    So are Yanks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What about:

-teh/the

-unneccessary Capitalisations out of Context.

-dimwits posting nothing but image responses (with embedded hotlinks) instead of taking the time to at least engage their brain before posting something they found on 4chan.

-would/could of, instead of could have.

-apostrophe's in word's that don't require them.

-people claiming dyslexia as an excuse for lazy ass spelling (not you, ib, I didn't even know you had it until you said there).

It could become a very long list, as I'm sure you appreciate :)

Roundeeeee:eek:

Oh you were making the point there Roundy, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

can you have a sticky at the top of each forum explaining the difference between this two words?
    Please also add a short explanation outlining the difference between a metaphor and an analogy and also what a tracker mortgage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Sigh...I'd settle for getting the mouth breathers in my work place to recognise correct spelling and grammar. Someday I'm going to break the fingers that originally set up the folder called Account's :mad:

It's a nice thought but unfortunately I don't think it will work on boards.ie while still allowing reasonable levels of traffic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I want in!
    The amount of misplaced apostrophes on the Internet is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

i dont mind if you do, my spelling and grammar are shocking.
    Might want to do a bit of introspection then, also why not make a point to point out on-thread the glaring difference in meaning when dealing with the reading of the text of the inappropriate spelling, take it as your opportunity to teach the unteachables, that'd be my advise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement