Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HKC Securewatch House Alarm info

• 09-05-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have a HKC Securewatch alarm and wasn't given the codes when i bought the house. I contacted the guy who installed the alarm and he gave me a code but that set the alarm off. So i disconnected a yellow wire from the circuit board and that knocked off the alarm. If i reconnect the wire the alarm goes off. I've tried 01111 and 04567 but no luck.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation to get the alarm working again? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

I have a HKC Securewatch alarm and wasn't given the codes when i bought the house. I contacted the guy who installed the alarm and he gave me a code but that set the alarm off. So i disconnected a yellow wire from the circuit board and that knocked off the alarm. If i reconnect the wire the alarm goes off. I've tried 01111 and 04567 but no luck.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation to get the alarm working again? Thanks

Call the guy again and ask him to come out and reset the whole alarm completely, and to change user code.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

Thanks Tim - What would be the going rate for this? Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Most guys would charge around 50 euro plus VAT for a call out but Ive heard of rip off merchants who try to charge 200!! Ask them to set a price. Alarms are so basic and idiot could install them, it shouldnt take them more than a few minutes to reset it. By the way Im sure this could be done by them dialling in but if they dont have you down as the customer they shouldnt do it..

Call em and check their pricing..

Tim M-U wrote: »
    Call the guy again and ask him to come out and reset the whole alarm completely, and to change user code.

This shouldn't cost much because they only have to reset the alarm. I would say it would cost 65 ish, or less

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

Thanks - can anyone recommend someone to do this?

I'm in Dublin 8

thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks - can anyone recommend someone to do this?

I'm in Dublin 8

thanks again

def not eircom phonewatch anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Why?

I'm getting one installed in the morning!! :eek:

I fing eircom phonewatch exp-ensive and have heard problems with getting it installed (exm: canceled install)

I've actually asked them to take everything to make sure it gets installed on the day.

Including both the wired and wirefree alarms!

I bet there will be a reason it can not be done tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭altor

why not eircom phone watch ? they use the hkc panel which complies with en50131 and they certify your alarm plus you get a discount for your insurance.. how much where they charging you ? you do know they monitor the alarm too..

• Advertisement

PeteK* wrote: »
    Why?

I'm getting one installed in the morning!! :eek:

did you get your alarm installed by eircom phone watch,
    was there any problems ?

altor wrote: »
    why not eircom phone watch ? they use the hkc panel which complies with en50131 and they certify your alarm plus you get a discount for your insurance.. how much where they charging you ? you do know they monitor the alarm too..

I know your very happy with them, but Ive heard problems getting it installed and if you want monitoring, you gotta signup for a 3 year monitoring. and their monitoring is like €15 for the first yr and the yr after its €25 and your stuck with contracts. I know a monitoring company named: top security and they charge €15 p/m which is €180 a yr. I personnly would use a local company or install a HKC in my own home.

I know your very happy with them, but Ive heard problems getting it installed and if you want monitoring, you gotta signup for a 3 year monitoring. and their monitoring is like €15 for the first yr and the yr after its €25 and your stuck with contracts. I know a monitoring company named: top security and they charge €15 p/m which is €180 a yr. I personnly would use a local company or install a HKC in my own home.

who told you that, thats not true.. your talking about monitoring and a maintenance contract. if you want your alarm monitored by them they will just monitor it for you, you dont have to sign up for 3 years, plus it only costs €25 a month if you have a maintenance contract with them which you dont have too so dont know where your getting your info from..

who told you that, thats not true.. your talking about monitoring and a maintenance contract. if you want your alarm monitored by them they will just monitor it for you, you dont have to sign up for 3 years, plus it only costs €25 a month if you have a maintenance contract with them which you dont have too so dont know where your getting your info from..
    no your wrong. a coMPANY that is a eircom phonewatch said its 16 for the first yr and 25 for the next

no your wrong. a coMPANY that is a eircom phonewatch said its 16 for the first yr and 25 for the next

read my post again tim.. i am not wrong..

read my post again tim.. i am not wrong..

This is what a company that are partners with eircom phonewatch said to me. your right i think... . soz about that. and I hope im not bein a assho*d on boards.ie . soz again

This is what a company that are partners with eircom phonewatch said to me. your right i think... . soz about that. and I hope im not bein a assho*d on boards.ie . soz again

its better to find out the facts before you post tim..

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DCTF

To use the HKC vibration sensor with the built in reed switch can you use 4 core cable or only 6 core?

Also what is the best / standard colour system for wiring up the windows / doors?

DCTF wrote: »
    To use the HKC vibration sensor with the built in reed switch can you use 4 core cable or only 6 core?

Also what is the best / standard colour system for wiring up the windows / doors?

use 4 core cable. link the first two with a piece of cable, tamper is the next two and the last two is your alarm return to the panel. thats with the sensor with the reed.
    blue and yellow for tamper, red and black for alarm.
    hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DCTF

use 4 core cable. link the first two with a piece of cable, tamper is the next two and the last two is your alarm return to the panel. thats with the sensor with the reed.
    blue and yellow for tamper, red and black for alarm.
    hope this helps..

Ok the sensor I have is marked as follows;
    reed / sensor / tamper / tamper / sensor / spare

So if I follow your instructions i'm to place a loop of cable between reed and sensor the first two connectiors. Just to ask should I use a particular colour for standardisation?

So if I was to follow as above the colour would go like this;
    1) loop to 2
    2) loop to 1
    3) Blue
    4) Yellow
    5) Red
    6) Black

How stong is the reed sensor or how close should the sensor and the reed part be when positioning them?

Also anyone know what screws to buy to fix the sensors to the doors and windows? As before it's the HKC sensors.

Do people recommend using the vibration with reed for the hall door entry exit point or just the reed open close on it's own? Someone said if people knock or the postman could set off a vibration sensor.

• Advertisement

DCTF wrote: »
    Ok the sensor I have is marked as follows;
    reed / sensor / tamper / tamper / sensor / spare

So if I follow your instructions i'm to place a loop of cable between reed and sensor the first two connectiors. Just to ask should I use a particular colour for standardisation?

So if I was to follow as above the colour would go like this;
    1) loop to 2
    2) loop to 1
    3) Blue
    4) Yellow
    5) Red
    6) Black

How stong is the reed sensor or how close should the sensor and the reed part be when positioning them?

Also anyone know what screws to buy to fix the sensors to the doors and windows? As before it's the HKC sensors.

Do people recommend using the vibration with reed for the hall door entry exit point or just the reed open close on it's own? Someone said if people knock or the postman could set off a vibration sensor.

thats correct, your 1-6 loops. blue and yellow tamper and red and black for alarm. the spare is a reed if the reed sensor is used.
    it should be as close as you can to the reed side of the sensor, depending on how strong the magnet is up to 15mm away.
    electrical store, square lock screws.. size 8 x half.
    i would not put one on the front door for the reason you just explained, you can buy a contact on its own for the front door. works out cheaper than the sensor reed type.
    hope this helps, any problems let me know..

did you get your alarm installed by eircom phone watch,
    was there any problems ?
    Yep got it done with no problems!

There was a panic button marked I think but it's not done :S

I looked at the list thing at the end and don't think it was there

I must check again!

they give a free panic with every wired job so get on to them if it is not done..

they give a free panic with every wired job so get on to them if it is not done..
    Even if there didn't appear to be a wire there for it?

PeteK* wrote: »
    Even if there didn't appear to be a wire there for it?

No, it has to be prewired for them to install it for you. there is a panic built into the keypad. it is activated by pressing the star and hash button together..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sss.ie

HI all
    just to make you aware, by installing an alarm in you own house and not having it certified by a licensed company which complies with EN50131-1:1997 Grade 2 will mean that your insurance company will not pay out if you make a claim. This is with most insurance compaies but not all. Also under Irish law it ie ilegal to install intruder alarms since Aug 2006 under The Private Security Services Act 2004. Anyone who provides a security service is breaking the law, this encludes all security services except for access control and CCTV but i beleive later this year it will also come into law.

In relation to all the HKC panels which everyone is installing at the moment, later on this year i beleive all alarm systems must comply with EN50131-1:2004 not EN50131-1:1997 which HKC uses. This will then mean that any panel (not just HKC) will have to be upgraded to comply with all regulations. In relation to the monitoring and maintance contract, once again under the regulations any alarm system that is connected to a monitoring station (ARC) you have to have a maintance contract.

sss.ie wrote: »
    HI all
    just to make you aware, by installing an alarm in you own house and not having it certified by a licensed company which complies with EN50131-1:1997 Grade 2 will mean that your insurance company will not pay out if you make a claim. This is with most insurance compaies but not all. Also under Irish law it ie ilegal to install intruder alarms since Aug 2006 under The Private Security Services Act 2004. Anyone who provides a security service is breaking the law, this encludes all security services except for access control and CCTV but i beleive later this year it will also come into law.

In relation to all the HKC panels which everyone is installing at the moment, later on this year i beleive all alarm systems must comply with EN50131-1:2004 not EN50131-1:1997 which HKC uses. This will then mean that any panel (not just HKC) will have to be upgraded to comply with all regulations. In relation to the monitoring and maintance contract, once again under the regulations any alarm system that is connected to a monitoring station (ARC) you have to have a maintance contract.

in relation to your own home you can install your own alarm in your own home just dont put it on your insurance..
    in relation to your hkc comment they have already upgraded there panel..
    in relation to EN50131-1:1997, it is EN50131-1:2006 we are using now..
    in relation to monitoring of your alarm to a monitoring station. all systems must have a maintenance contract, this is already in effect..
    hope this helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ben.D

Hi, Phonewatch do use hkc on their wired jobs and their own brand systems on wireless, they very dear on maintenance, my friend did a lot of looking into them before deciding to go elsewhere. I used a company called FK security, reasonable pricing. My insurance guy told me not to use anyone unlicensed as there are a LOT of cowboys in that game!!!!!

i was quoted 15pm/180pa when i enquired without maintenance (300pa with maintenance) although they could change it.......

• Advertisement

They dont have there own wire free alarm, its made by GE

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Electrical...

Eircoms prices can vary al lot depending on ,offers, contract lenght etc.

Ben.D wrote: »
    i was quoted 15pm/180pa when i enquired without maintenance (300pa with maintenance) although they could change it.......

It is expensive but if you shop around you can get it much cheaper than that.

Phonewatch do use hkc on their wired jobs
    Yes, they use the HKC systems. Refer to http://www.hkc.ie
    their own brand systems on wireless
    They use the simon systems manufactured by GE. They stick phonewatch stickers on them then. Refer to http://www.gesecurity.com .
    my friend did a lot of looking into them before deciding to go elsewhere.
    This is recommended and will pay off!
    My insurance guy told me not to use anyone unlicensed as there are a LOT of cowboys in that game!!!!!
    As Altor posted, Be sure the installer complys to electrical standards, En50131 Standards and has a psa license. This is an example of a company that complys with en50131 and has a psa license. http://clarealarms.com/

The systems phonewatch used to use were in the old frequency (altor told me) but the new wireless have new frequency. Be sure for the best security in wireless systems to make sure its new frequency.

Thanks

It is expensive but if you shop around you can get it much cheaper than that.
    Yep, altors right! Shop around, it'll pay!:rolleyes:

koolkid wrote: »
    Moved to Electrical...

Eircoms prices can vary al lot depending on ,offers, contract lenght etc.
    Yea, their always having offers! Their special offers are here http://www.phonewatch.ie/index.php/get_a_quote/special_offers/45 . Please note that different dealers have different prices due to other offers. shop around.

Their average rating is 3/5: http://www.goldenpages.ie/Burglar_Alarms_%26_Security_Systems/Eircom_PhoneWatch/IE_11259719_9999_1001 .

• Advertisement

Is this not to be in the Electrical forum? :o

EDIT: sorry it's moved....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

Hello,

Seeking some help with some questions I couldn't find answered in the many threads on the go.

1) I am wondering if anyone knows how I would go about getting the digital screen to display the Zone Names & Codes so that I can inhibit them if necessary?

2) Is there a name for the setting which allows you to set the alarm and leave the house, which only sets the external (windows & doors sensors) and does not set the inner sensors (to allow pets to move freely for example)? If this differs across models, is there a way of finding out?

Alarm is EN50131-1 compliant.

FastFuse wrote: »

1) I am wondering if anyone knows how I would go about getting the digital screen to display the Zone Names & Codes so that I can inhibit them if necessary?

If you dont have a list of the zones enter 0#3 on your keypad and test them one by one. the zone number and name should appear on the keypad as you activate the zone. To inhibit two zones press 0 "code" * (zone number) * (zone number) yes

FastFuse wrote: »
    2) Is there a name for the setting which allows you to set the alarm and leave the house, which only sets the external (windows & doors sensors) and does not set the inner sensors (to allow pets to move freely for example)? If this differs across models, is there a way of finding out?

Alarm is EN50131-1 compliant.

To do this you would need it set up in the engineer menu. It is set up in the part guard options menu. What it does is allow you to exit the house using the part set. The pirs are usually off in part set, depending how the alarm is programed.

HKC now have wireless called securewave, better than phonewatch's wireless system

Ben.D wrote: »
    HKC now have wireless called securewave, better than phonewatch's wireless system

I agree Ben.D, even the new Simon xt system they use is not great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement