Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you decide who to vote for?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Do you have set criteria you look for?

tbh I have no idea who to vote for and don't know what I should be basing my judgments on.

Policies: Even if I agree with there policies whats the point in voting for them if there is no reason to believe they will stick to there policies.

Character: I don't know any of them personally to be able to judge there character and anyone could fake having a good character since they won't really be tested unless they get voted in.

So is it any wonder that people seem to base there judgments on looks and charisma when it comes to voting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Who can do the most for me, my pocket and my local constituency?

National interest? Not my problem.
    Bring on the flaming but I'm not alone in this!

To answer your question OP I don't vote on looks or charisma.
    I vote for track record and haven't voted for a first time candidate ever.

Now I know you need a chance to get experience but it's track record where I look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

If they wear a suit and a fake cheesy smile then I don't vote for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

mikemac wrote: »

How do you decide who this is, what can you base it on? Thats my problem.
    To answer your question OP I don't vote on looks or charisma.
    I vote for track record and haven't voted for a first time candidate ever.

Now I know you need a chance to get experience but it's track record where I look at
    Understandable but not reliable. Isn't it possible for a crap politician to appear be doing well because things are happening not necessarily because of him?

I've heard some very positive comments about politicians in Africa being world class but since there in such harder circumstances it wouldn't appear like they are doing a good job a tall.

So how can track record be judged?

By 20 plus years of experience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

By 20 plus years of experience
    That doesn't really reflect how well they do there job, just how well they can campaign to get voted in.

It's possible to be doing your job for 20 years and still be incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Ok this is what I do right:

Firstly if there are any incumbent peoples sons or daughters running I have to vote for them because if their parents were politicians that makes them great politicians. Everyone knows that

Failing that, I go up to mammy and daddy and ask them who they usually vote for. Then I go into the polling station and do what mammy or daddy told me to do.

When my mammy and daddy die I will go into the polling station and see whos smile is nicest because if someone has a nice smile they will be ace in the dail.

/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Spot on unless your a strong nationalist all politics is really local or micro as they call it. The adverage joe could not care much about the national debt they generally look at what a politician is doing locally and of course if they got into power what would they contribute

If all else fail vote independent, at least your giving the one who dared to stand out a chance

I think its good your voting in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

1) Policy. If they don't stick to it, point this out to them, and if they still don't stick to it, turf them out next time.

2) Realpolitik. Unfortunately, this has to enter into it. In this country, there is one party which is guaranteed not to put FF back into power. It helps that I also like their policies and trust their people.

I don't take local issues into consideration when voting in a general election. I'm a strong believer in the national parliament. The flip side of this is that I shouldn't take national issues into consideration when voting in a local election, but admittedly I'm torn at the moment between putting in the best local representatives and sending a message to those in the national parliament. In my area, unfortunately I can't do both.

Advertisement