Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text message security

• 09-05-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭

I have a suspicision somebody may be hacking into my texts some way.
    Is this possible or am being paronoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Yes it is possible, if they had access to your phone while you weren't looking it can be setup to allow another phone to read and send texts from yours.

Why do you think this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Are they close by, their is plenty of programs that can hack phones using bluetooth. Always advisable to leave bluetooth off. Prevents this from happening and saves on the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JustinOval wrote: »
    Yes it is possible, if they had access to your phone while you weren't looking it can be setup to allow another phone to read and send texts from yours.

Why do you think this?

Ex of mine basically repeating stuiff back I said to another person. Don't know eachother, lives miles away and 99.9% it wasn't said back.
    And a couple of other things as well don't add up...

Davy wrote: »
    Are they close by, their is plenty of programs that can hack phones using bluetooth. Always advisable to leave bluetooth off. Prevents this from happening and saves on the battery.

Would not have been close by when the texts were sent. Bluetooth would have been on all the time alright.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Would not have been close by when the texts were sent. Bluetooth would have been on all the time alright.

They wouldn't have to be their at the time they were sent. Could be anytime after, could be using the app to search through your phone just before the Ex said it too you as they would have been close by.

• Advertisement

You don't need to be close, the texts might have sat in your 'sent' box.

JustinOval wrote: »
    You don't need to be close, the texts might have sat in your 'sent' box.

Yes. They would have been, still are. And I had been over their house the other day. Next day the text in question was read back to me...

Thanks guys. Actually makes me feel physically ill to think about this invasion of privacy.

Thanks guys. Actually makes me feel physically ill to think about this invasion of privacy.

Switch bluetooth off and leave it off unless your sending something etc.

Always the chance its another way but wont go into that yet....

Yeah, with Bluetooth off you're ok.

• Advertisement

Is this quite common then?

Is this quite common then?

Well a lot of people know that you can do it, yes.

Well a lot of people know that you can do it, yes.

Ok. And it's not that difficult to do if you wanted to go about? Scary.

Ok. And it's not that difficult to do if you wanted to go about? Scary.

No, download the program to your phone. Then scan for phones that have bluetooth on. Some brands let you do more than others. You can make calls with some etc.

No, download the program to your phone. Then scan for phones that have bluetooth on. Some brands let you do more than others. You can make calls with some etc.

Bloody hell. Phone security is poor obviously.

Well in a lot of cases people will have to accept it for the program to work but you can prevent the whole scenario by leaving bluetooth off and not accepting to receive anything via bluetooth that your not sure about.

The fact that you were together your phones could have already been paired so you might not even remember accepting anything, not to mention the ex could have done it without you knowing at an earlier date.

To be honest it's the only logical conclusion i can come to now. I didn't accidently send him the message or anything. And the next day after I had called around (will never happen again), I get a text repeating back what I'd say in the original text.

Too much of a coincidence now I think.

There was another couple of incidences going back months.
    For instance I headed to Dublin one night for a night out and didn't tell the individual.
    Next week the individual was telling me back how he knew I'd been in Dublin that night. That people from his home town had recognised me and heard it back the next day. That was what I thought could be the only explanation of course. Granted I should have told them at the time, but hey, we all need space too.I was made to feel like a total sneak. And another incident I don't want to get into as well.

And the last time we chatted the individual was asking after a good friend of mine. And said something to the effect of I bet you haven't been in contact. And sure enough I hadn't been in contact with her either.

Advertisement