Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which hotel for the Mater hospital?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, Im from Tipperary. Ive to bring my sister to the Mater for an appointment. Its at 9 am and we're going to stay the night.
    WHich would you recommend for closeness to the Mater and the city centre?

Belvedere hotel or Doyle collection (something like that is the name of it, used to be Jurys croke park?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is also the Maldron on Granby Row, or the Academy on Cathal Brugha Street - both easily walkable to the Mater, unless your sister has difficulties walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Thanks spurious. Are they nice hotels? I dont know those streets though. Yes she does have difficulty walking. Ill have to drive her to the mater.
    Is there parking in any of those hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I was in the Maldron Hotel on Granby Row and it appears very nice.

Not sure about car parking though, its very close to Mater

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Academy is newly renovated and although I've never stayed there, what I have seen of it going into the bar or restaurant looks very good. They are just off O'Connell Street and have discount rates at the car park across the road from the hotel - at the junction of Cathal Brugha Street and Marlborough Street.
    http://www.academyplazahotel.ie/dynamicPage.asp?id=73

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Banrion - it would probably depend on your budget. There are many hotels within easy reach of the Mater but many of them are geared towards the budget traveller (although that doesn't necessarily mean they are inexpensive).

If you are driving, you don't really need to be so close to the Mater. It very easy to find as it's just off a major arterial route (main Dublin/Belfast/Airport road). You could consider some hotels further out where parking is easier (e.g Regency Airport - a couple of miles north). It would also be easier to approach via M50/M1.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for taking time to reply. I might look into the maldron.
    But the Belvedere or croke park hotel would be ok, would they? Their prices were good.

Banrion wrote: »
    But the Belvedere or croke park hotel would be ok, would they? Their prices were good.
    The Belvedere is much closer but you'd have more 'space' around croke park and it would be considered a superior hotel. As far as I know, they have parking facilities too.

(The problem with giving advice on hotels is that locals rarely stay in hotels in their own area. I'm sure you don't stay in hotels in Tipp too often!!)

PS- are you going to the Mater Public or Private? They are seperate hospitals although they are beside each other.

I think its public. And Ive seen another thread here saying the parking is ridiculous on Eccles street which is the car park for the mater. :(
    I might drop her and my mother off and find parking myself somewhere else.

Banrion wrote: »
    I think its public. And Ive seen another thread here saying the parking is ridiculous on Eccles street which is the car park for the mater. :(
    I might drop her and my mother off and find parking myself somewhere else.
    The Mater have their own fairly large car park on Eccles Street between the Private and Public hospital. There is also pay and display parking along Eccles Street itself. I've never had too much problem finding a space when I've had to go there.

The Mater have their own fairly large car park on Eccles Street between the Private and Public hospital. There is also pay and display parking along Eccles Street itself. I've never had too much problem finding a space when I've had to go there.

Good man, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement