Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it better to buy a locked to a network phone?

• 09-05-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

or buy unlocked and be free like a bird?:confused:

I know it is "cheaper" to buy a locked phone from a network in the beginning but which do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Makes no odds. If you not planning on switching networks then a locked one if fine, you get the credit and no hassle with returns if any problems. If you do decide to switch networks you can get it unlocked for a small enough fee

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Getting a locked one doesn't always work cheaper. My c905 was 280 from ebay but o2 and 3 have it for about 400. Bill pay would probably work out cheaper though. If you don't plan on using a sim from another network then just get the locked version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Blanc

ok thank you Davy,so basically choose whatever network suits you best at the time is best i guess.

i thought there might be more unforseen problems involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Blanc wrote: »
    ok thank you Davy,so basically choose whatever network suits you best at the time is best i guess.

i thought there might be more unforseen problems involved.

Work out which network you want to be on, that suits your usage and spend amount.

Then if they have the phone you want get it. If they dont, get it else where cheaper. Then get it unlocked, or get one already unlocked from adverts or ebay etc.

Settings can be entered into the phone quite easily and quickly to get all the functions working. Settings can also be sent to the phone automatically so you dont have to enter them manually.

Getting a locked one doesn't always work cheaper. My c905 was 280 from ebay but o2 and 3 have it for about 400. Bill pay would probably work out cheaper though. If you don't plan on using a sim from another network then just get the locked version.

This was the main reasonn i asked , because when searching online with unlocked phones they usually were alot more expensive and i could never figure out why?

The only resaon i can figure is if you are travelling between country and country every week?

Are there any other advantages of having an unlocked phone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Blanc wrote: »
    This was the main reasonn i asked , because when searching online with unlocked phones they usually were alot more expensive and i could never figure out why?

The only resaon i can figure is if you are travelling between country and country every week?

Are there any other advantages of having an unlocked phone?

Networks usually subsidise phones so that is the reason locked ones are cheaper.

Ok thanks Davy and AlmightyCushion : i thought there was something major i was missing *that is what my dark sinister side of my mind talked to me anyways* :D

thank you

Advertisement