Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Telecom

Options
  • 09-05-2009 11:11pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭

[mods please move if not in appropriate forum]

We have been getting a number of calls over the last few days purporting to be from Pure Telecom.
    It is a distinctly asian guy (Indian or Pakistani IMO) who claims to be called Kevin Smith (who was born & bred in Dublin) and trying to sell Pure Telecom.
    I have told them that I am not going to switch provider and asked for them to stop calling yet they keep calling back. I tried ringing Pure today but they are closed on Saturdays :rolleyes:
    After googling, I saw a thread on some forum which suggested that this was a VOIP number from somewhere in India.
    Anyhow, what exactly are my rights here? Are they allowed to keep ringing people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Are you on the NDD Opt-Out Register?

You need to tell your phone company to put you on it. If the number is coming from abroad it may be harder because i think the list only applies from the ireland numbers. You could argue pure is an irish company. They get fined large amounts if convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

kbannon wrote: »
    [mods please move if not in appropriate forum]

We have been getting a number of calls over the last few days purporting to be from Pure Telecom.
    It is a distinctly asian guy (Indian or Pakistani IMO) who claims to be called Kevin Smith (who was born & bred in Dublin) and trying to sell Pure Telecom.
    I have told them that I am not going to switch provider and asked for them to stop calling yet they keep calling back. I tried ringing Pure today but they are closed on Saturdays :rolleyes:
    After googling, I saw a thread on some forum which suggested that this was a VOIP number from somewhere in India.
    Anyhow, what exactly are my rights here? Are they allowed to keep ringing people?

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/RightsPlainEnglish.htm&CatID=16&m=r

Section 10
    If you do not want to receive direct marketing telephone calls, you should contact your service provider. They will make a note of your request in the National Directory Database (NDD) ‘opt-out’ register. It is an offence to make direct marketing calls to any phone number listed in the NDD. If you have not included your phone number in this register, you can also refuse such calls by simply asking the caller not to phone you again. An organisation must get your permission before they contact you by fax machine or automated dialling for direct marketing purposes.
    An organisation must also get your permission before they send marketing emails to your computer or before they send marketing text messages to your mobile phone.

So, step 1 is to ask your service provider (Eircom or whoever) to ensure you're on the NDD.

Step 2, if he calls back, is to tell him that you are on the NDD, ask that they delete all data held about you and that any further calls will be in breach of Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 which may lead to Pure Telecom being judged to have committed an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Do this:

Yeah, scrap my idea - do that instead!

Advertisement