Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D!ckhead players online

Options
  • 09-05-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Okay, I'm sure there are usually threads on this, but I was just playing Left 4 Dead, having only bought it recently.

I was playing the versus mode, and in two different servers I was heckled. The first time it happened, I was playing as the Tank, and, admittingly, I made a balls of it. Then I had players saying stuff like 'Playername, you suck etc.'.

It pissed me off so I left and joined a different game, this time we were playing as survivors, and it wasn't going well really, and I noticed that both sides would get angry at their own team members whenever something happened, whatever happened to having a laugh? I ended up quitting that also because I started getting complained at, even though I saved their asses with a pipebomb at one point, for 'running off'.

I never encountered this when playing the campaign, it's turned me off playing the game for a good few nights. Anyone else had any similiar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I prefer to stay away from the versus modes. Survivor and Co-Op is all I play on L4D. But in general you will always run into pricks. I just remind myself that I am a better person for being the nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Just reminded me thatr I should pick up L4D...

NO I haven't had anyone heckle me personally (unless its with mates...) But I have been exposed to the usual 10 yr olds.. ( usually british and very squeky) ate everybody under the sun...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

My only advice is stay away from pre-pubescent *americans...with microphones....

*its usually american, less likely to be any other nation

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

*its usually american, less likely to be any other nation

Hehe and I said usually British... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Well, all of this was through typing (in the middle of battle strangely enough:confused:) but yeah, I never came across anything like this in campaign, might just stick with this in the future.

• Advertisement

Just stay away from xbox live and you should be sorted no matter what the nationality ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Crazytalk, the best thing to do if don't always have at least some friends is to join a good clan and play with them.
    They're less likely (in my experience) to be bonkers and anonymity-loving crackpots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Join a community of some sort or slowly build a friends list with people who you like gaming with. You'll find people's usernames for Xbox Live, PSN or Steam (half life forum) in the relevant forums. Just add away and you'll more then likely find people who don't irritate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I've started playing L4D a bit recently. It's a good game.
    I was in a versus game and my team was losing. The strongest mmber of the team said we should kick a member and opened a vote. I asked why and he said look. I voted no. He did the same a few times, I voted no and said I didn't know why he wanted to kick him. He explained the guy was crap and had no brain, and I realised that he wanted to kick him because he wasn't scoring much (we were undead). I told the guy who was complaining that he was a twit and opened a votekick for him. He was kicked. This made me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

pwd wrote: »
    I was in a versus game and my team was losing. The strongest mmber of the team said we should kick a member and opened a vote. I asked why and he said look. I voted no. He did the same a few times, I voted no and said I didn't know why he wanted to kick him. He explained the guy was crap and had no brain, and I realised that he wanted to kick him because he wasn't scoring much (we were undead). I told the guy who was complaining that he was a twit and opened a votekick for him. He was kicked. This made me happy.

Wish I was there to see that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

pwd wrote: »

Can't "thumbs-up" thanks your post twice so......thanks! :D (Note: I wasn't the bad player....I'm currently the bad player in my AI only campaign ;) )

🤪

Be careful about joining a clan, I've been offended more times when applying to or being in a clan then when I was not in one. People in clans(especially FPSs) really rely on ranks to make sure they get to dish out the bitch to newer members. Which reminds me, playing FPSs makes me feel old when people start using mics, seriously 90% of the guys on the CoD4 servers I play on are 16-17 or under :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Debunker

You can get scolded for being too good as well, down'd five guys in CoD3 with a pistol in a matter of seconds. Really think it's just xbox though.
    :s

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

On MGO, if it is a game where you do not respawn, people have the option to vote to restart the round, so you are trying to sneak around the place and you have constant 'Restart the Round?' prompts that you have to reply to because they take up a quarter of the screen.

No idea what Konami were thinking there.

Game designers would be foolish to not side with ignorant skillless children.

dats wer d monis at yooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP buy WoW and make a character on stormscale (swedscale) then do some pvp. Lots of abuse from wannabe elitist tards on that server.

Glad I quit wow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Op i know what you mean but its a glass half empty/full thingy, when they say u suck etc etc..... dont take it as them trying to hassle you, but more an opportunity to troll them. Ive been crap on games and ppl get mad kill me time after time but i never let it get to me, instead i make it my mission to get them to rage quit. I wont give examples as their are many on youtube.

so turn that frown upside down! :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Jeez what a total whiner.

Image1-2.jpg

F2

Can't expect all players to be superstars. But those that aren't shouldn't have to put up with grating comments. If people want to be playing seriously 24/7 they should just play clan matches...or go pro (oh wait! Then THEY'LL look like n00bs).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

To be honest if you find yourself getting shouted at alot in game it could be to do with making big mistakes, in all fps's i have bypassed the noob stages straight off the bat as my aim is good and im very quick on the uptake.

However that all changed when i came to L4D, i knew from the start as undead i was crap. I was getting shouted at and kicked a fair bit in random pubs.

So i took 20 minutes out of my time and read up each of the zombie classes and how they should be played. By doing that i increased my skill ALOT and the shouting and kicking all stopped, sure i still get voted off from time to time but that was a result of being surrounded by whiney kids sometimes in game. Most of the time they cant get me kicked off and i end up making a show of them later in on the map.

The thing about L4D is its very team dependent, so if one isnt pulling their weight the rest of the team may aswell leave/afk as your not gonna win :/

I sympathise with the OP but to be honest when you get better you will find yourself agreeing to kick some players just so you can actually have fun with the game.

Having a bit of craic is all well and good, but getting your ass handed to you at a consistent level just because some guy thinks its usful to smoker someone at close range can get very frustrating.

In saying that i havent played L4D in ages, pubs were getting to annoying for me and even playing with people i know was getting tiring :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

In Left 4 Dead, if you don't play the map precisely as the rest of them expect, they'll kick you. If you don't obey the "Everyone to the roof" command on the last level of No Mercy, you'll get whined at (seriously, the survivors can easily be taken out early in that map).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

nix wrote: »
    To be honest if you find yourself getting shouted at alot in game it could be to do with making big mistakes, in all fps's i have bypassed the noob stages straight off the bat as my aim is good and im very quick on the uptake.

However that all changed when i came to L4D, i knew from the start as undead i was crap. I was getting shouted at and kicked a fair bit in random pubs.

So i took 20 minutes out of my time and read up each of the zombie classes and how they should be played. By doing that i increased my skill ALOT and the shouting and kicking all stopped, sure i still get voted off from time to time but that was a result of being surrounded by whiney kids sometimes in game. Most of the time they cant get me kicked off and i end up making a show of them later in on the map.

The thing about L4D is its very team dependent, so if one isnt pulling their weight the rest of the team may aswell leave/afk as your not gonna win :/

I sympathise with the OP but to be honest when you get better you will find yourself agreeing to kick some players just so you can actually have fun with the game.

Having a bit of craic is all well and good, but getting your ass handed to you at a consistent level just because some guy thinks its usful to smoker someone at close range can get very frustrating.

In saying that i havent played L4D in ages, pubs were getting to annoying for me and even playing with people i know was getting tiring :(

In summary:

"Dey wer rite to kickz you you N00b!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've been having a pretty good experience with L4D since it came out in November, but I suspect that's mostly because I play with people from my steam friends list as much as possible. That said, there's been plenty of random strangers in our games that have been skilled and not arseholes too.

I find the opposite to be true on xbox live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

noodler wrote: »
    In summary:

"Dey wer rite to kickz you you N00b!"

Yes, never said i wasn't. Hence my story of looking up tips for 20mins to improve my game to be pr0zErz :P

Although in retrospect i wasnt playing that badly, i just sucked with smoker at the time and wasnt able to bounce pounce. But i was good with tank and boomer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

CrazyTalk wrote: »

I was playing the versus mode, and in two different servers I was heckled. The first time it happened, I was playing as the Tank, and, admittingly, I made a balls of it. Then I had players saying stuff like 'Playername, you suck etc.'.

I never encountered this when playing the campaign, it's turned me off playing the game for a good few nights. Anyone else had any similiar experiences?

In fairness, I wouldnt call you names n stuff....but is hella annoying when playing with someone who doesn't know the game well.

I got L4D back in October or whenever it was released, then i pestered my clanmates to get it,,,,about 5-8 of them got it in March. Tbh...they were useless, some still are...and I won't join games with them....cause it drives me insane shouting at them to do stuff that seems obvious to an experienced person I.e Boomer DONT spawn behind them etc

Skill comes with time playing any game, till then...you gotta ride out the learning curve..and is one of the shortest but hardest there is. So expect abuse for 2-4weeks till you can do stuff properly ingame.

I wouldn't let it put you off, once you get into it...its an amazing game.

Plus..there are LOADS of boardsies who play all the time, you won't get abused by them...well...expect to hear a lot of "FAIL !!!"
    (never heard that word so much until L4D arrived)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I haven't come across too much knobheadedness in L4D.
    I find the mood is generally lighter in TF2 as being crap is less critical there.
    I don't play it much at the moment as I was pretty busy the last few weeks but the few games I've played had friendly players that genuinely seemed eager to be helpful and not take it too seriously.

Except Stephen, he's a cnut. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

5uspect wrote: »
    I find the mood is generally lighter in TF2 as being crap is less critical there.
    I don't play it much at the moment as I was pretty busy the last few weeks but the few games I've played had friendly players that genuinely seemed eager to be helpful and not take it too seriously.

Sounds very like the Lonely Islands lyrics in "we like sports" :P :P

Single, Double, Triple, Home run.
    For the celebration I'll shoot my gun.
    I Like my friend he's a real guys guy,
    He's not a loud mouth like that c*nt-hole Steve.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Plus..there are LOADS of boardsies who play all the time, you won't get abused by them...well...expect to hear a lot of "FAIL !!!"
    (never heard that word so much until L4D arrived)

All the pro's have "FAIL" bound to a key in fact.

OP, assuming you're playing on a PC then join the Boards Steam group - you won't get yelled at too much by people you have at least some kind of association with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

5uspect wrote: »

Someone mustn't like my binds :pac:

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Sounds very like the Lonely Islands lyrics in "we like sports" :P :P

Or "Just two guys"

- 'Who invited Steve, that dude is a ****'

Anyways, ignoring L4D for a minute it does seem to be in any game that goes online at this stage (no wonder they have to have the "online experience may vary" warning). Everybody has to start at the bottom at some point and there's only so much good that reading tips and tactics will do (example - I will watch plenty of competitive Quake action...but still sit way down in tiers of skill :) ). Also, there are games that you have to actively play to get better (and that's most online games). Maybe one of the biggest skills to learn is to not let people get to you on servers.

🤪

Advertisement