Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election posters

Options
  • 09-05-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Just drove back from Thomond Park passed Salesians and over the bridge.
    Couldn't believe the amount of posters they have put on the railing at Salesians school. It's an absolute eyesore. Arguably litter pollution. Nearly every lamp post on the Shelbourne road has two posters. It's looks awful.
    Are people actually influenced by seeing someones head on a poster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

all this stuff is going to be on the google streetview too, we're going to look like one hell of a political country!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

and yet if you were caught taking them down you'd probably get a fine for it, I do laugh at the irony of the green party having posters stuck up, not very green now is it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I thought there was an environmental law against the use of too many posters?

They are everywhere, on every flyover/pole/roadside...fecking disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

krudler wrote: »
    and yet if you were caught taking them down you'd probably get a fine for it, I do laugh at the irony of the green party having posters stuck up, not very green now is it

Not a GP supporter but there was a time when they tried running for election without using large amounts of posters and they failed so I suppose their attitude is if you cant beat them join them.

I suppose that answers the OPs question about people being influenced by the posters.

I think the posters should be banned, it not so bad until they recvoer the poster and leave the dirty plastic cable tie sticking out like a sore thimb. Let the candidates use billboards for their advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

its mad alright..crap posters everywhere.
    Although I very nearly crashed the car yesterday when I saw one of the Fine Gael posters for a Ms Byrnes (i think). It really looks like a piss take, or that someone took a marker to it, she looks nuts in it...has to be seen really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is one poster for a guy called Hickey (Jim?) - it looks like it was taken with a camera phone - really bad quality photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

vkid wrote: »
    its mad alright..crap posters everywhere.
    Although I very nearly crashed the car yesterday when I saw one of the Fine Gael posters for a Ms Byrnes (i think). It really looks like a piss take, or that someone took a marker to it, she looks nuts in it...has to be seen really
    I thought the same until I saw more of her lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is like being in a horror movie driving through Limerick at the moment. Some faces on those posters should not be allowed out without a public health warning.

Drive from the Crescent shopping centre along Ballinacurra road and up O' Connell Avenue to see a host of scary ugliness. One in particular stands out as either a massive double chin or the first human/frog hybrid. You will know it when you see it. :D

Mind you there is one that does brighten the day, think it is an Independent or SF canidate. Blonde woman with quite a pretty face. Think her posters are on Childers Road.

A question to anyone who may know the answer or who may be able to point me in the right direction to get an answer.

I was watching some posters getting put up today, and I had thought that they could not put the posters up inside housing estates, as in not on roads that were not main streets etc.

Does anyone know where this can be checked out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Kess73 wrote: »

Mind you there is one that does brighten the day, think it is an Independent or SF canidate. Blonde woman with quite a pretty face. Think her posters are on Childers Road.

Toireassa Ferris mmmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kznSyc_19Iw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A question to anyone who may know the answer or who may be able to point me in the right direction to get an answer.

I was watching some posters getting put up today, and I had thought that they could not put the posters up inside housing estates, as in not on roads that were not main streets etc.

Does anyone know where this can be checked out?
    They can be put up anywhere the Council has jurisdiction, estates will depend on the issue of taking-charge from the developer.

ninty9er wrote: »
    They can be put up anywhere the Council has jurisdiction, estates will depend on the issue of taking-charge from the developer.

Thanks for that. It may turn out quite helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I dont mind the posters going up so much but this yr they are flippin everywhere. They are seriously going to cause an accident as people will be forever taking their eyes off the road to look at them its ridiculous.

On hyde road they are so low down I seen school kids taking them down by pulling on them, if a child fell while trying to do this they could land out on the street.

On the golf link road as u pass under the flyover for the tipp road, the entire bridge is completly covered in posters. This is an extrmely dangerous stretch of road and eyes should be kept on it not on posters..

If the councillers did there job the people in their respective areas would know them and they wouldnt need to advertise.

And further more when the elections every counciller should have to remove the millions of tie wraps that they always leave up... which are in turn another eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

Thanks for that. It may turn out quite helpful.

Interesting indeed.... Additional thanks.

BTW, is there a fine for defacing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

krudler wrote: »

At least they're using double-sided posters. At least James Nix is anyway on the ones I've seen on the Ennis Road. Practice what you preach and all that. Maybe it's just cos he has a very short surname it's viable for him to have

N

I

X

on the back of his posters.

Like the posters or lump them, studies have shown that they do make a difference in the polling booth, a lot of people go in there without considering the issues or candidates' policies and will just vote for a recognisable face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The ferris one ain't bad looking, then she really nothing to contend with. That labour dude had 2 posters on every pole of the shannon bridge yesterday did'nt notice it today.

Best had to be coveney at the last election he put up posters of himself in a munster top all over the ennis road and approaches to thomond a week before a big match and a few months before the election and took them down the day after the match. It was a stroke of genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

We have Mary-Lou Mac Donald looking in our living room window as the poster is the wrong way on the lamp post. Took a hose to it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Someone had a letter in one of the papers earlier this week (last week?) giving out about the amount of posters up around the place. I've been away from Limerick for the past 2 weeks and when I came back on Monday, it was wall-to-wall posters.

The letter-writer had a very simple suggestion which would save money - an A4 page (or 2 if necessary) listing all the candidates in each area, their party and contact details. One of these could then be sent to each household in the area. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

BeanieBaby wrote: »
    Interesting indeed.... Additional thanks.

BTW, is there a fine for defacing them?

Kevin Kiely has a charming Hitler style moustache on one across from the Woodview S.C. ...

The Labour candidate (Short?) has gone mad around LIT/Thomond - on the approach to the LIT roundabout from the Link road he has 6 on the roundabout exits signpost alone :eek:

Have you noticed the FF mention on the posters is almost non-existent? A small flourish in the bottom right hand corner...only noticed it out walking last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone sick of seeing brian crowleys face everywhere you go?? Even down in Cobh there are pictures of him on the side of the roads......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Tom O Callaghan has managed to make fianna fail even smaller than the other ff canidates

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Brian crowleys flyer came in the letterbox this evening. the fianna fail logo is so small in one corner on the back ud never spot it! no mention of the party anywhere else in his writeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Osk wrote: »
    The Labour candidate (Short?) has gone mad around LIT/Thomond - on the approach to the LIT roundabout from the Link road he has 6 on the roundabout exits signpost alone

its absolutely ridiculous....... they're everywhere on that roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

steveon wrote: »
    If the councillers did there job the people in their respective areas would know them and they wouldnt need to advertise.

And further more when the elections every counciller should have to remove the millions of tie wraps that they always leave up... which are in turn another eyesore.
    Not everyone running for election is a councillor and even if they were (meaning an election wouldn't be needed) most of them do do their job, but most of the time what they do only affects a miniscule proportion of the area's electorate.

Advertisement