Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

surround sound

• 10-05-2009 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have wires in for 10 ceiling speakers in my new house, I was going run them into a hifi direct without an amp, i will not be having them at high volume and think the hifi will run 5 speakers per channel,, am I wise? Also where best place to buy this kit, thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

BJ45dude wrote: »
    I have wires in for 10 ceiling speakers in my new house, I was going run them into a hifi direct without an amp, i will not be having them at high volume and think the hifi will run 5 speakers per channel,, am I wise? Also where best place to buy this kit, thanks in advance!!

Well the more you have the less it sounds.
    In this case its true, a normal micro fifi that puts out 12/25watt wont power more than two pairs of average sealing mounted speakers.
    The only way you can use that is with something like this QED speaker switch per channel as it "normalises" the power and impedance.
    Or in the out side you could look at something like this TEAC AG980.

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I was going run them into a hifi direct without an amp, i will not be having them at high volume and think the hifi will run 5 speakers per channel,, am I wise?

Can you post a name/model number of the amp you have?

This is probably going to go way over your head, but there are plenty of good reasons not to connect all the speakers together to a single output.

Resistance is halved for each speaker placed in parallel. It doubles for speakers placed in series.

Halving the resistance doubles the power demand on the amplifier.

Many high end amps can be stable at 4Ohm. Low end amps, will just go bang.

To put that in perspective, if you connect two speakers presenting 8Ohm each you are already at the 4 ohm load limit of the amp channel. Adding 5 sees the resistance drop to 1Ohm = bang bye bye expensive amp.

Replace the expensive stable 4Ohm amp with any aul one and you can be sure it will go pop.

for running multiple speakers simultaneously, I'd recommend a specific multichannel or zone amplifier like Akasol has mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BJ45dude

dont have amp or speakers yet i only have cabling in place, just looking for cheapest option to get my surround sound working in the home, any ideas of suppliers etc? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dont have amp or speakers yet i only have cabling in place, just looking for cheapest option to get my surround sound working in the home, any ideas of suppliers etc? Thanks

Surround sound is different to running all speakers from the same channel (equivalent to zoned (stereo) audio).

Are all your speakers wired back to a single point?
    What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BJ45dude

All speakers back to one point yes, budget is 500-600 but as cheap as possible to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

All speakers back to one point yes, budget is 500-600 but as cheap as possible to be honest

your home is wired for multiroom audio not surround sound, you'll either require a multiroom controller with built in amplifiers or really low powered speakers

Advertisement