Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow internet (high packet loss) around Limerick, South Clare etc.

• 10-05-2009 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

This is mostly an FYI post.

I spend much of my working day logged in to machines in the US via ssh. When packet loss on the connection goes above about 10%, responsiveness to keystrokes falls sharply and it gets hard to do much work. I'd noticed this happening more frequently in recent weeks so I started to monitor it more carefully.

The mtr traceroute tool shows the packet loss very clearly. Here's an example from a long sample taken earlier this evening:
    timac.local (0.0.0.0)                                 Sat May  9 22:21:26 2009
     Host                               Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 192.168.1.254                    1.5%  8922    1.3  31.9   0.8 3796. 158.6
     2. b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net  46.7%  8922  108.7 109.9  45.9 4712. 196.3
     3. 86.43.245.5                      5.5%  8922   53.1 102.3  45.2 4635. 184.5
     4. 83.71.113.122                    2.9%  8922   65.6 114.5  61.4 4575. 170.3
     5. 195.66.226.167                   5.7%  8922  136.4 183.7 126.1 4567. 186.9

and another from last week (shorter sample, but more dramatic):
    timac.local (0.0.0.0)                                Thu May  7 20:52:33 2009
     Host                              Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 192.168.1.254                   0.0%    62    1.3  14.8   0.8 125.1  31.5
     2. b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net 63.9%    62   63.1  77.1  50.0 197.9  45.2
     3. 86.43.244.253                  82.0%    62  239.5 180.0  51.8 306.8  98.3
     4. 83.71.115.3                     4.8%    62   58.1  89.6  51.7 279.2  62.0

Naturally, there are periods where there's no packet loss. My broadband (DSL) is provided by Eircom. Users of other broadband providers may be affected if their provider routes traffic via Eircom in Limerick.

After a few attempts I finally managed to speak, or rather email, with someone who acknowledged the problem and investigated.

They said "I had that checked by our Service Assurance Center. The outcome is that the Virtual Path you are on is the subtended link off another exchange which has bandwidth issue. This has been already escalated and Networks put these exchanges on list to be upgraded."

So far so good. Then I asked for an estimate of when it might be upgraded. They said "I have been told by Network Development Dept. that the upgrade should be done by the end of this year, (roughly Oct-Nov)."

Ouch!

I'm not sure how many people are affected by this. Possibly just parts of Limerick and south Clare, or possibly a much wider area. Most people affected are likely to assume that "the internet's been a bit slow recently" and not realise that the problem is actually within the Eircom network.

I'd appreciate it if people could spread the word about this problem, and as many people as possible check their connection (using a few different destinations in different countries). Linux users can use mtr to see the packet loss. Mac OSX users can also use mtr if they're happy to install Xcode and MacPorts. Windows users can find traceroute tools listed here (pick one that shows packet loss and does continuous tracing).

If you find you are affected, please raise the issue with Eircom and lodge a complaint. Anyone know how we can complain in a way that's likely to accelerate the upgrade?

The service practically unusable for my work at the moment. (I'm using a 3G modem instead when I need to ssh.) I plan to ask for a discount until they can provide a reasonable service.

Tim.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Tim.Bunce wrote: »
    If you find you are affected, please raise the issue with Eircom and lodge a complaint. Anyone know how we can complain in a way that's likely to accelerate the upgrade?

The service practically unusable for my work at the moment. (I'm using a 3G modem instead when I need to ssh.) I plan to ask for a discount until they can provide a reasonable service.

Tim.

If I remember correctly Eircom were having issues with their limerick bras2 a week ago. Can't say that is 100% sorted as I havent checked in a while, last time I did the issue was with vendor.

All this could be related or not, it would be interesting to know if this issue also appears on b-ras2.lmk.

Also, you seem to loose a lot of packets in between yourself and the BRAS, there are several other things that could be causing this, it doesnt have to be the BRAS itself. If there is something wrong with at the bras then you will have loads of people complaining and posting here...
    They said "I had that checked by our Service Assurance Center. The outcome is that the Virtual Path you are on is the subtended link off another exchange which has bandwidth issue. This has been already escalated and Networks put these exchanges on list to be upgraded."

Sorry, just read this part, so ignore the previous...

That would make more sense, it is common for Eircom to move customers/ASAMs to other VPs just to ease congestion, at least until they get things sorted. This takes time so dont expect this to be sorted soon (just hope it is). Believe me when I tell you that they planned this "upgrade" long before your email, so all you can do is wait, it will happen whenever they have it planned and it is unlikely the date will change.

Is kind of funny the way they say it, they make it look as if the problem is caused by another exchange but that's not entirely true, the reason why this happens is because the VP is just not capable of dealing with the bandwidth, and that is due to bad bandwidth managment, basically there is too much traffic flowing for those paths. This should be affecting not only Eircom customer but all other resellers using Eircom's wholesale network...

In regards how many people are affected is impossible to guess, only Eircom wholesale knows, there are many different VPs, you could be on, let's say, VP24 but your friend next door or on the next town on VP11. This meas that people from completely different areas (all of them will be connecting through limerick) will experience the same problem.

The problem could be happening at any point on their network...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

I think i'm suffering from the same problem. I'm on Limerick b-ras2.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055558741

Looks like you saved me a lot of work trying to get to the bottom of this:P.
    Conditions are only slightly better on b-ras2 from an MTR view (only started to play around with it recently).

Let me guess that there's no express way of complaining about this issue? i.e. One should be prepared for the joys of going though the motions with tech support just to wind up at the end of it all with an operator going "Packet loss, traffic routing... WTF?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The internet had been really slow in ennis the week before last and then on friday 01.05.09 they were working on the exchange and they must have broke it because my internet hasn't worked for the last 11 days. (but others on the same exchange are working ok)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If everybody in Limerick and Clare logs a fault every time this happens then they will get the finger out. These capacity issues occur widely and are always eventually sorted . Broadband use is growing and the bottlenecks move around.

Making more noise helps , getting your local TD to complain helps , getting the CEO of Dell or of Intel in Shannon to complain to the Limerick Leader ...helps .

etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hardydrew

I have the same issue - its been like this for weeks, mtr shows around 50% loss on the first hop after my broadband routers 192.168... address. (See attached)
    I thought it might be the telephone line quality maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

limerick bras2.jpgfound out about it 2 week ago
    -- huge packet loss ( weekends mostly )
    udp is almost unuseful :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thehurley

I noticed this same problem last week. When I rang broadband support and asked them for an email address I can send my complaint in writing to, they told me to email general.infoeircom.net.

I live in Limerick and my first hop is b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net; I work in Shannon and my first hop is b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net; I get similar results from both locations. It's a terrible service Eircom are providing in this region.

I think we can safely say at this stage that something is terribly amiss at the Limerick BRASs.

The question is whether the mounting complaints will actually prompt Eircom to do something sooner rather than later about this. One problem about this is that probably a good majority of people wouldn't even detect the issue as downloading, web browsing etc are naturally able to cope with packet losses better than other more sensitive applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oopled

I'm a BT bb(eircom wholesale) customer in Castleconnell. Same problem. Massive packetloss in the evenings and to a lesser extent, weekends. Ongoing for weeks/months

Ssh, vpn/vnc, gaming, anything udp based...frustrating to unusable.

Been banging my head trying to get bt to admit there is a problem that is not within the walls of my house. I've compiled enough logs for a nice bonfire, but still have to go thru the same motions every time I contact them.

I finally was able to get them to ask eircom to check the local exchange(test was probably done during business hours when problem doesnt exist), they reported back no fault. Had to get the modem replaced (tick a box in the flow chart) before they would escalate back to eircom with the request that testing be done in the evening when the problem exists. I'm now playing the waiting game(again)...:mad: At least now, thanks to your info Tim, I know the problem is not local to my exchange but further up

for me, the problem is reported at bas001.bmt.esat.net, or whatever nodes are vlanned inbetween

as for no fix until Oct-Nov, I wouldnt keep my hopes up! My exchange was supposedly being upgraded this time last year, still hasnt happened :confused: and as Champ said, most web-browsing users will not even notice that there is a problem, so the number of calls logged is probably low as it's only a specific subset of users that will notice the problem

my typical evenings internet connection(it's still early, it gets worse) -

Here's another email address you can send you complaints to ccm@eircom.ie. This is probably the more official channel to send your complaints to.

• Advertisement

oopled wrote: »
    for me, the problem is reported at bas001.bmt.esat.net, or whatever nodes are vlanned inbetween

as for no fix until Oct-Nov, I wouldnt keep my hopes up! My exchange was supposedly being upgraded this time last year, still hasnt happened :confused: and as Champ said, most web-browsing users will not even notice that there is a problem, so the number of calls logged is probably low as it's only a specific subset of users that will notice the problem

my typical evenings internet connection(it's still early, it gets worse) -

It funny you mention bras (bas001.bmt) as in theory, as this issue is on Eircom's network, it shouldn't really matter to which bt bras you end up connecting to.

If you are on the limerick/clare area it is likely you connect through eircom's limerick bras (if you are on the north of Clare you might be connecting through mervue). Anyway, being a BT customer you wont know to which eircom Bras you are connecting through, only BT does.

Once it leaves your DSLAM you are routed through several nodes until it reaches one of Eircom's main BRAS, in your case limerick, then it will likely go to their bitstream ethernet connection services in citywest and then to the corresponding ISP.

This issue could be happening at any point in their network, but, if you say that, in your case, the problem only manifests when you are connecting through that particular bras then the issue could be with that particular BECS or the interconnect between citywest and ballymount, maybe even further inside.

Bohrio wrote: »
    This issue could be happening at any point in their network, but, if you say that, in your case, the problem only manifests when you are connecting through that particular bras

Just to clarify - I'm not saying that the problem only manifests on that bras. I was just trying to make the point that as an end user the problem manifests on the first reported hop, bas001( at the time, today I am on bas503) however there are any number of nodes, as you state, inbetween that node and me where the problem may originate and these are transparent to the end user.

fwiw, I asked a user in clonlara, eircom cust., what bras they were reported as connecting to; they were on b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net w/ no packetloss or problems

oopled wrote:
    fwiw, I asked a user in clonlara, eircom cust., what bras they were reported as connecting to; they were on b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net w/ no packetloss or problems

What test(s) did they do and was it during the evening time? During evenings I can verify the problem exists with just the built in ping tools.

Mmph this is starting to get depressing. I'm thinking at best Eircom realises there's a problem though are going to take their leisure fixing it since not enough complaints are getting through for a multitude of reasons. At worst red tape pretty much ensures that this isn't going to be fixed in the forseeable future.

oopled wrote: »
    Just to clarify - I'm not saying that the problem only manifests on that bras. I was just trying to make the point that as an end user the problem manifests on the first reported hop, bas001( at the time, today I am on bas503) however there are any number of nodes, as you state, inbetween that node and me where the problem may originate and these are transparent to the end user.

Ah ok then, was confused for a moment ;)

Well I just found out that in fact, Eircom are working on a issue on one of their links between Limerick and Dublin. Although I have been told that the people in the midlands between those two nodes will be the most affected ones people connecting through their limerick BRAS (2) will also experience packet loss/slow speeds, or at least I have been told they should.

I have been told that they are working on it. Now, The person I was talking too did mention that the outage is for people connecting through BRAS Limerick 2, not Limerick 1, so we are looking at 2 different issues then.

Well at least that's theoratically good news for the people on BRAS 2 depending on what Eircom mean by "working on it"...i.e. "We know about it and will fix it at our discretion" (groans) or "Yes we're actively working on it and should be finished soon enough" (yipee).

Champ wrote: »
    What test(s) did they do and was it during the evening time? During evenings I can verify the problem exists with just the built in ping tools.

same as myself, ran pingplotter during the evening. Around 9ish on a weeknight.
    The guy is an avid gamer so would definately notice packetloss if it were there.

I checked it from Castletroy last friday night, from an eircom dsl line. They have it worse. Where I was having 15-25% loss, this user had 40-50%
    Again, problem only seems to exist between evening hours and weekends

I was hoping to notice some form of improvement this week, as the UL students have finished up for the summer, thereby possibly freeing up some capacity. Nope, as bad as ever :(

We had an Eircom engineer on site today in order to rule out physical faults -- even though I've reported the same problem from 3 different DSL lines at 3 different sites in this region.

The problem has been punted back to broadband technical support.

Here's a sample of today's packet loss on Eircom's DSL...
                                 My traceroute  [v0.71]
                                                           Wed May 20 16:38:20 2009
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                           Packets               Pings
     Host                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 192.168.1.225                     0.0%  1079    1.5   1.2   0.4  14.9   1.5
     2. 192.168.0.2                       0.1%  1079    2.3   5.5   1.3 203.9  12.7
     3. b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net   48.6%  1079   33.3  45.8  16.5 309.1  30.1
     4. 86.43.245.9                       0.1%  1079   34.5  40.7  19.2 548.8  30.7
     5. 86.43.244.153                     0.1%  1079   37.6  43.5  23.4 646.0  32.8
     6. 74.125.51.185                     0.1%  1078   39.9  44.2   7.7 595.4  32.3
     7. 209.85.251.189                    0.1%  1078   61.4  67.6  23.6 541.7  32.8
     8. 72.14.233.114                     0.2%  1078   69.9  71.1  41.9 586.5  34.2
     9. 209.85.255.166                    0.2%  1078   65.7  69.7  22.6 622.1  35.1
    10. 209.85.255.98                     0.1%  1078   71.4  74.3   9.3 583.4  30.6
    11. ew-in-f104.google.com             0.2%  1078   65.3  67.2  38.8 563.2  29.6

just thought I make a point of saying that I've been regularly checking during the day and evening, weekdays and weekends, from 3 different DSL lines, at 3 different sites, using 3 different packages (Eircom home professional, Eircom business starter, Eircom business plus).

... the results are consistently bad, all of the time on all 3 DSL lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Living in Janesboro , on Roches St. exchange .

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert www.weststats.com

Tracing route to www.weststats.com [82.133.85.201]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 20 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 86.43.244.253
    4 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms 83.71.113.126
    5 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms te1-3.cr05.tn5.bb.gxn.net [195.66.224.29]
    6 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms gi1-1-6.ar01.tn5.bb.gxn.net [62.72.140.142]
    7 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms ge-0-0-0-3801.jolt-gw.cust.pipex.net [212.241.24
    1.14]
    8 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms 82.133.85.201

Trace complete.

1 10 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 12 ms * 14 ms b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.24]

3 15 ms 8 ms 7 ms 86.43.244.253
    4 28 ms 26 ms 25 ms 83.71.113.126
    5 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms te1-3.cr05.tn5.bb.gxn.net [195.66.224.29]
    6 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms gi1-1-6.ar01.tn5.bb.gxn.net [62.72.140.142]
    1.14]
    8 25 ms 25 ms 26 ms 82.133.85.201

Trace complete.

1 7 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 * 12 ms * b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.24]

3 16 ms 7 ms 7 ms 86.43.244.253
    4 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms 83.71.113.126
    5 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms te1-3.cr05.tn5.bb.gxn.net [195.66.224.29]
    6 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms gi1-1-6.ar01.tn5.bb.gxn.net [62.72.140.142]
    1.14]
    8 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms 82.133.85.201

Trace complete.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 17 ms * * b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.24]

3 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms 86.43.244.253
    4 25 ms 25 ms 26 ms 83.71.113.126
    5 25 ms 25 ms 76 ms te1-3.cr05.tn5.bb.gxn.net [195.66.224.29]
    6 26 ms 25 ms 26 ms gi1-1-6.ar01.tn5.bb.gxn.net [62.72.140.142]
    7 25 ms 27 ms 25 ms ge-0-0-0-3801.jolt-gw.cust.pipex.net [212.241.24
    1.14]
    8 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms 82.133.85.201

Trace complete.

Outside of the obvious and OT , I have never noticed the first hop being anything more than 1ms 1ms 1 ms before .

Alright looks like Eircom is not going to fix this anytime soon no matter how much we complain, even if it's politely and with a please:(.

Just did another MTR check and averaging at 50% loss at BRAS 2.

At least UPC broadband is available in Limerick, or at least parts of it. Might be time to change...though I've heard people have their own problems with UPC..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wondered if this is Eircoms reaction to the use of VOIP over their BB. I have seen huge packet loss for the past couple of weeks ... usually use Blacknights speed test www.irishisptest.com.
    Test today at 10.35am approx from Newmarket/Sixmilebridge area, ADSL 3Mb/s connection
    Speed 
    ----- 
    Download speed: 2596280 bps 
    Upload speed: 323416 bps 
    Quality of service: 99 % 
    Download test type: socket 
    Upload test type: socket 
    Maximum TCP delay: 11 ms 
    Average download pause: 4 ms 
    Minimum round trip time to server: 14 ms 
    Average round trip time to server: 18 ms 

VoIP 
    ---- 
    Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms 
    Jitter: server --> you: off 
    [B]Packet loss: you --> server: 81.6 %[/B] 
    Packet loss: server --> you: off 
    Packet discards: 0.0 % 
    Packets out of order: 0.0 % 
    Number of VoIP lines supported: 15 
    Estimated MOS score: 3.5 

VoIP test statistics 
    -------------------- 
    Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms 
    Jitter: server --> you: off 
    [B]Packet loss: you --> server: 81.6 %[/B] 
    Packet loss: server --> you: off 
    Packet discards: 0.0 % 
    Packets out of order: 0.0 % 
    Estimated MOS score: 3.5 

Speed test statistics 
    --------------------- 
    Download speed: 2596280 bps 
    Upload speed: 323416 bps 
    Quality of service: 99 % 
    Download test type: socket 
    Upload test type: socket 
    Maximum TCP delay: 11 ms 
    Average download pause: 4 ms 
    Minimum round trip time to server: 14 ms 
    Average round trip time to server: 18 ms 
    Estimated download bandwidth: 2640000bps 
    Route concurrency: 1.0168395 
    Download TCP forced idle: 0 % 
    Maximum route speed: 37448568bps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Apologies for second post, but have been looking at my results above and want to comment ......

I am getting varying results from that speed test ... some tests even saying that my download speed could not be measured.
    I also looked at my firewall setup and if I disable "UDP Flood Defence" my lost packets go to near zero.

I cannot seem to get any response from a traceroute ... just a series of * * * indicating I think time out.

I also tried another speed test site and that had no trouble measuring my d/load speed and gives consistent results every time.

Maybe I am looking at a couple of unrelated problems .... irishisptest is not consistent.
    Packet loss as reported by irishisptest seems dependent on firewall setting.
    I have to check to see if traceroute is operating properly here at all.

Totally confused! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Sorry to drag this up, but has anyone heard anything from Eircom lately over this? I'm in north Kerry and i'm routed through bras2 in Limerick. I've been crippled with average 50% packet loss for the last 6 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I contacted eircom yesterday, The telephone support agent could tell me from a line test he has a engaged there side of exchange shows my connection is itermittent.

Engineer will be calling out soon - For me to be turfed back to technical support no doubt.

Line is showing 50%+ Packet loss during peak times

And from a "Tracert" or Traceroute on windows,
    C:\Users\Mike>tracert eircom.net

Tracing route to eircom.net [159.134.198.138]

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.254
      2    300 ms     *      339 ms  b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.2]
      3    26 ms    25 ms    25 ms  86.43.245.17
      4    31 ms    36 ms    29 ms  159.134.125.46
      5    31 ms    28 ms    29 ms  159.134.198.138

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Mike>ping -t eircom.net

Pinging eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=60
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=60
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=60
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=60
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=60
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=60
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=60
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
        Packets: Sent = 28, Received = 17, Lost = 11 (39% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 37ms

Clearly shows my problem eh?

Will get back as soon as the engineer gives me anymore info.

//Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Ive brought this issue up on their support forum, Ive also logged a complaint with their tech support, I was to get a call back but its been over a month and nothing. I cant use any remote servers anymore as its simply too frustrating and just forget about any gaming.
    The b-ras2 in limerick may simply be swamped beyond capacity, but whats more annoying is that when you ring Eircom you are dealing with a Customer Relations company (Stream) and not Eircom so theres another level between the customer and the provider.
    Now dont get me wrong Stream are a very good company and are leagues ahead of the old Eircom CR, but it still introduces vagueness and deniability.

As far as Im concerned this is a breach of the sale of goods act as the product is not fit for purpose. The exorbitant packet loss sees to that. Surely the resellers (vodafone, BT, etc) should be putting pressure on Eircom at this stage as it is also affecting their reputations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Xennon wrote: »
    As far as Im concerned this is a breach of the sale of goods act as the product is not fit for purpose. The exorbitant packet loss sees to that.

Well, It is a breach of Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, But they wont care how much you threaten them solo. If it was a mass of people to do this same thing - The pressure would be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

has anyone brought this to the attention of IrelandOffline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Your best bet is to bring it to the attention of all the local papers in the affected area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ringing Eircom tomorrow and giving them a bollicking of the highest order.
    It's now 3 months since I started having this issue and nothing has been done about it.
    I've registed numerous tickets to Support and in fairness they can't do nothing about it. Some of them aren't even getting the proper information.
    I've logged an official complaint but it's now 13 working days since I logged it and Eircom haven't even the decency to contact me.
    I'm also bringing it to the attention of the Limerick Post/Leader and let's see what a bit of negative media attention do to eircom sales in the area.
    Do people mind if I draw attention to the threads here on boards to the media?
    Enough is enough...I work in IT and if I left my customers dangling for 3 months I'd be out of a job well before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Also having problems. from yesterday on.
    Haven't checked off peak..but definately slower from say 6-12 at night. (only times ive checked)

High amount of failures from normal browsing..download speed is down from around 210kbs to 30kbs :mad:

Westport exchange.

Anything i can do? (or best way to complain)

Advertisement