Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Smart Telecom Broadband reliable?

Options
  • 10-05-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Guys,

I work in a internet cafe and we have an eircom business broadband 7.6 Mb package.

We are considering changing to Smart Telecom.

The up-time of our Eircom Business broadband in the past has been close to 100% up-time during morning to evening.
    (i.e) the broadband always works, it does not drop its connection.

If we changed to Smart Telecom Business broadband would they be as reliable as Eircom broadband.

The exchange we are on has Smart equipment and we have been told we could get 24 Mb from Smart telecom.

Any feedback would be great.

sligo_tech

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Excellent provider. We use them at work. Solid connection, excellent speeds.

The only possible fly in the ointment is that IF anything goes wrong, then eircom as the line owners have to deal with the problem and they are shamefully (deliberately?) slow in dealing with issues from LLU customers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Smart are probably one of the most reliable ISP's.

However if your business relies on the reliability of the internet, then I would highly recommend having a secondary backup over an alternative platform.

Maybe cable or wireless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I would certainly recommend Smart.

I was wondering though if you really need 24Mb given what most people use an internet cafe for? The higher the speed the more pressure on the line so if there is any fragility at all your customers will suffer drop outs and interruptions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd suggest you use ther search function as this type of question has been asked before,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sligo_tech

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the help, I appreciate the advice.

I do read through the articles on the broadband section. I enjoy them they are very informative. The people on here are very knowledgeable.

What valuable information I have got from this thread (I havent got elsewhere) is:

- Eircom business have a 8 hour (max) call out service,
    extra €2.50 a month
    If they dont fix the connection within 8 hours
    eircom will refund double your line rental

- If you buy the fastest broadband package performance may Deteriorate.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

smart are the best ISP in ireland by miles.
    Just sheer excellence ( something we`re not used to ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

+1 for Smart. I'd recommend they are great and you get the speed you buy, with a little extra. Just a couple of things:

1) Did Smart say you could actually get 24Mbs? because I think thats the maximum and I'm hearing some are not able to receive that speed.

2) Smart "customer care" is terrible. Emails don't get answered, phone calls (other than to sales) are a waste of time, complaints are ignored. The communication with customers is poor. So it's fortunate the broadband works well 99% of the time! Tech support is good using 1890 number or forum.

Advertisement