Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac courses your opinion

Options
  • 10-05-2009 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys :)

I was wondering what your views are on Fetac IT courses like this one here http://www.gti.ie/courses/coursedetails.asp?cc=CNSSX . Are they good stepping stones to get into an IT career or would it be better to start doing courses like cisco insted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I'm working on my fetac 6 in Comp Sci(What you listed was my first year). I can't tell you about how good it is at getting you work since I'm not employed under any IT certs. I know my VEC offers advanced entry into 2nd year computer science in DITs honours degree. The course is good but really generic. I think its really more of a progression course then anything else. Get the fetac then do other certs in more specific subjects. You wouldn't get much more then a job at a call centre coming straight from a fetac 6 degree.

That's what I think anyway. btw the course if fairly outdated in the hardware related subjects. So best you learn the more modern stuff yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭chriz

I have already done the Information Technology cert with fetac. Ive done OOP programming and computer architecture and systems that was a annoying to do. How are you finding the computer science maths?I know the computer maintenece would be well out of date but im ok with that side of things ive made my own computer that part of the course should be easy for me.

Im unsure about when i complete it. If i wanted to go on to a college will ther be much higher links from it. I hear that they are still trying to get more colleges to link from fetac levle 6 certs id hate haveing to do first year in a course i already know about. The one advertised on the website is business in computing degree. Id rather stick my hand in blender then go anywher near business lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

It really depends which area you are entering - if networking then the Cisco certs will be very useful, if non networking specific then I would suggest Fetac modules as these cover a more broad range and employers hardly look for one area specifically these days as they like to think their man is flexible

The Data communications module on the link will cover some of the Cisco syllabus anyway - also then with Fetac you then have the option to advance to Bsc Msc Phd

Advertisement