Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cokin P filter system question

• 10-05-2009 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

I'm just wondering about using this filter system with a ND (P154) or IR (P007) filter, does the fact that there's a small gap between the lens and the actual filter not allow a certain amount of light in and compromise the image? Or does the system work well anyway?
    Any advice on this would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Depending from where the sun is it might be a problem. if its behind you it should be fine, but for my experience is not as good as the other filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Given the choice, I opted for screw on filters. There seemed to be a lot of fiddling around with the Cokin system and I would have found it a bit irritating. Anybody who uses it seems to like it, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi.

I use P-Series filters. You'll see some examples here and here.

My bigger problem is not so much with light leakage - you get a little bit but I don't wind up compromising the images to such an extent - but vignetting on the wider shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Thanks folks. The reason I ask is because I was up in the big smoke yesterday and went into Conns to get a ND8. They didn't have it in my thread size (67mm) and the guy asked me had I considered the Cokin system? He explained it to me and it sounded like a good idea so I bought the Holder, the 67mm adapter and a ND8 filter.
    Its only when I put it together last night I realised there's a gap between the filter and lens which would seem to completely defeat the purpose of a ND filter where the purpose is to eliminate light. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it had me a bit worried.

the beauty about the Cokin stuff is that you can stack filters (up to three - damn I need to find a way to do more) which is ... fun ...

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    the beauty about the Cokin stuff is that you can stack filters (up to three - damn I need to find a way to do more) which is ... fun ...
    I noticed that on your Flickr, you have a few filters stacked and got some really cool effects.
    Anoher thing that appealed to me about the Cokin system was that once you have the holder and adapter rings, the filters themselves are reletively cheap compared to the screw in type.
    IR and Tobacco Grad next.....

Oh Tobacco grad. I live for Tobacco grad. Tobacco Grad is my best friend at the moment. It and I are on a hot date for the sunset tonight provided the clouds don't roll in or some dude doesn't wreck my evening the way he did last night causing me to miss one hell of a sunset.

although an IR might be fun too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I also use the Cokin P system and I also love my tobacco grad filter. I use it on my 16-35mmL as the filter thread is 82mm and I can't buy threaded filters for it (or they're extremely expensive) cokin is the cheaper more fun option.

Not sure but I think Bovril may also have used the cokin IR filter and made some sort of box so that light didn't get between the filter and the lens. I'll have a look for the thread.

trishw78 wrote: »
    I also use the Cokin P system and I also love my tobacco grad filter. I use it on my 16-35mmL as the filter thread is 82mm and I can't buy threaded filters for it (or they're extremely expensive) cokin is the cheaper more fun option.

Not sure but I think Bovril may also have used the cokin IR filter and made some sort of box so that light didn't get between the filter and the lens. I'll have a look for the thread.
    Thanks very much, I'd appreciate that. I've been looking at the set up again and I think that if I file down the piece that sticks out about a millimeter at the top front of the holder, then the filter will fit snugly into the very first slot and no light leakage. Has anyone tried this / do you think this could work?

Thanks folks. The reason I ask is because I was up in the big smoke yesterday and went into Conns to get a ND8. They didn't have it in my thread size (67mm) and the guy asked me had I considered the Cokin system? He explained it to me and it sounded like a good idea so I bought the Holder, the 67mm adapter and a ND8 filter.
    Its only when I put it together last night I realised there's a gap between the filter and lens which would seem to completely defeat the purpose of a ND filter where the purpose is to eliminate light. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it had me a bit worried.

For the ND's you are fine, to do IR photography I think screw in filters are better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

got myself that ilford sfx film and the near ir filter, havent tried it yet, should i maybe try block and light leeks apres shooting....will it be that significant?

got myself that ilford sfx film and the near ir filter, havent tried it yet, should i maybe try block and light leeks apres shooting....will it be that significant?

It might be depends of the day and the position of the sun, if the sun is just behind make sure you close the viewfinder. I have the cokin IR and a screw in filter and the screw in is way better.

Advertisement